Basic vs Smart Detection

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forums and this is my first post :)

I just recently had some Hikvision camera's installed and have a question about how the Motion Events work. I know there are Basic Events and Smart Events and have configured Basic Motion Detection. Do I need to keep Basic Motion Detection enabled in order for Smart Event -> Intrusion Detection to work? With both Basic Motion detection and Smart Intrusion Detection enabled, it does seem to work and sends me emails of the event that I can view and play back from the iOS app. With Basic Motion Detection disabled and Smart Intrusion Detection enabled, I still get email notifications when an event occurs but can't view the video. When I try to view the video I encounter an issue - "Error searching video file".

So, I'm assuming the answer is, yes, I need both enabled for this to work? If that is the case, which motion zone takes precedence - does the Intrusion Detection zone get priority over the Basic Motion zone?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do I need to keep Basic Motion Detection enabled in order for Smart Event -> Intrusion Detection to work?
No, they are separate and independent.

With Basic Motion Detection disabled and Smart Intrusion Detection enabled, I still get email notifications when an event occurs but can't view the video.
Where are you storing the video?
On the Storage menu - what type of recording do you have enabled? There are multiple choices.

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
No, they are separate and independent.

Where are you storing the video?
On the Storage menu - what type of recording do you have enabled? There are multiple choices.
Well, let me correct my previous response. All the settings here are defaults and I haven't changed anything. That said, under the 'Enabled' checkbox, the drop down list has 'Continuous' selected but all the rows for the days of the week are green which indicates 'Motion' according to the legend.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
all the rows for the days of the week are green which indicates 'Motion' according to the legend
For that storage setting - only motion events will be recorded.
For the dropdown - that's just a selection for when you paint the schedule with what type of recording you want, it's not a setting in its own right.
Maybe try using Event 24x7 for recording.

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
So, maybe I’ll try Continuous recording in the NVR and motion in the camera. Since I have ‘line Crossing Detection’ enabled as well, will these settings work? I read that line Crossing Detection is an Event so just want to confirm.

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
This change worked. I’m using Continuous in the NVR and motion at the camera. Unfortunately it introduced a new issue. From the web portal, when I go to Playback, there are no motion triggers marked on the timeline anymore, it’s just one long recording. I assume this is the case as the Recording Schedule is set to Continuous. Is there a way to get the motion markers back?

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It likely won't. It's been a problem on the web portal all year - no smart event markers. You can only see them on the direct NVR interface. Sure wish Hik would fix this.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a problem on the web portal all year - no smart event markers. You can only see them on the direct NVR interface. Sure wish Hik would fix this.
Yes, it would be good to properly see smart event markers, especially as they appear to be selectable in the swizzler.
But the comment was about motion event markers, which need those specific conditions to be made visible.

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe I confused things a bit with my bad choice of words. I have Motion Detection disabled and only use Smart Events like Intrusion Detection. Based on that, I’m assuming I won’t be able to see event markers?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Motion Detection disabled and only use Smart Events like Intrusion Detection. Based on that, I’m assuming I won’t be able to see event markers?
Yes, you are correct, when using continuous recording and playback via the web GUI.

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
So, is the idea that when I get notifications via email or in the iOS app, I manually search for them in the continuous recording to see the event? If so, it would definitely be better to have event markers on the continuous recording.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If so, it would definitely be better to have event markers on the continuous recording.
It certainly would be much better, that would be a useful feature.

You need continuous recording to be sure to capture the event. Event recording only can miss them.
And you need the event markers to see when the events occurred.
To cover that, I have 2 NVRs, one for each type of recording.

esanto1

n3wb
Reaction score
To help reduce false alarms I also adjusted the Arm Schedule or one of my cams earlier as a test. So it won’t be armed when I leave for work for example so I don’t get alarms for those few minutes. Since I have continuous recording set, it should still capture these periods when the Intrusion Detection is not armed, right?