Battery Backup

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I put my cameras, router, and computer on battery backups. The computer has the shortest runtime of 35 minutes on battery. I have windows 10 setup to go to sleep at 20 minutes. Will this properly shut down blue iris (stop recording and save) so I don't lose the current video?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I put my cameras, router, and computer on battery backups. The computer has the shortest runtime of 35 minutes on battery. I have windows 10 setup to go to sleep at 20 minutes. Will this properly shut down blue iris (stop recording and save) so I don't lose the current video?
Sleep should always be turned off on your blue iris machine. There is an option that is on by default in blue iris options to prevent power management from putting the pc to sleep. If BI shuts off you should still be able to open or read the file until the point of shutdown.
putting the pc to sleep even if you can get it to work would keep it off until you manually turned it back on. You want the BI pc to restart as soon as the power comes back on.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
First, we need a little more information on the setup.
I don't think you will get the desired results that way.

Usually you use a connection from the UPS to the PC to shut down the PC when the battery gets too low.

If it is a laptop, and you are using the PC to read the laptop battery, so when the power dies, the UPS takes over,
then when it dies, the laptop takes over, it would probably work, but not a good setup.

If it is a desktop you need the connection to the UPS.
Set up the PC to automatically turn on when power returns.

Peter Schumacher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, so here is why I have the battery backup. We had someone try to break in, they disconnected our power at the meter. When the power shut off, we lost the footage that was recording. So we didn’t have footage of them coming in the parking lot. I was hoping the battery backup, would give the system the ability to shut itself down without losing the last recording. How do I accomplish that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so here is why I have the battery backup. We had someone try to break in, they disconnected our power at the meter. When the power shut off, we lost the footage that was recording. So we didn’t have footage of them coming in the parking lot. I was hoping the battery backup, would give the system the ability to shut itself down without losing the last recording. How do I accomplish that?
What happened why you tried to playback the BVR file? Were you recording to BVR or mp4?
You can limit your clips to 10 minuet chunks.

Peter Schumacher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What happened why you tried to playback the BVR file? Were you recording to BVR or mp4?
You can limit your clips to 10 minuet chunks.
They didn’t exist. The last files were not there when I restored power.

I’m using Blue Iris BVR for file format. Direct to Disc Video Compression.