Bedside monitoring

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My current setup is using BI. I had the laptop (BI Server) next to my bed to alert me. However, the light from the laptop (even at it's dimmest) is too intrusive. I want to move the server to a more hidden location, but need a bedside monitoring solution that is just as quick as the server. Basically, I need enough warning to grab my AR (for an unwanted intruder) or a book (to through at my kids raiding the fridge at 4am). I have about 40 laptops and 20 Android devices. I need the ability to monitor (with a blank standby screen) and silence alarms (if needed) without using the serving laptop. I can not silence alarms through the web interface using one of my laptops and any android device will not wake and display the alarming cam quick enough (or high enough definition). Suggestions? While I am at it, is there anyway to put a second full version of BI on the system for control (and not storage)? If this is possible, maybe I can add a blank cam and have it in app focus until an alarm goes off and takes focus? I am open to any/all suggestions.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My current setup is using BI. I had the laptop (BI Server) next to my bed to alert me. However, the light from the laptop (even at it's dimmest) is too intrusive. I want to move the server to a more hidden location, but need a bedside monitoring solution that is just as quick as the server. Basically, I need enough warning to grab my AR (for an unwanted intruder) or a book (to through at my kids raiding the fridge at 4am). I have about 40 laptops and 20 Android devices. I need the ability to monitor (with a blank standby screen) and silence alarms (if needed) without using the serving laptop. I can not silence alarms through the web interface using one of my laptops and any android device will not wake and display the alarming cam quick enough (or high enough definition). Suggestions? While I am at it, is there anyway to put a second full version of BI on the system for control (and not storage)? If this is possible, maybe I can add a blank cam and have it in app focus until an alarm goes off and takes focus? I am open to any/all suggestions.

OK I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here but I'm going to give it a shot. You can load BI app on any android device, it will cost a couple of dollars but that's really nothing. I'm not sure why you would wanna put a full version of BI on a laptop ? When you can just download the android and have control and monitor. Hell you have 20 android devices, download and pay for the app, and you could have a BI monitor in every room of the house. Also I do the same thing as you want to do I loaded the android app on a tablet that sits on my nightstand when the cameras see motion it rings.If the brightness bugs you put a towel or anything over it . My wife also needs complete darkness when she sleeps and I mean complete . Anyway BI alerts false a lot with headlights, rain,snow,neighbors cat, and most of the time I end up turning it off which, don't brother me I have pir sensors outside .

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the Android app. I have it on a few phones and tablets. The response is not as quick however. The alarms i get through the android push lag the server alarm by up to 1 minute in some instances. One minute, for a home invasion, break in, etc.... is great deal of time. My laptop running BI is an I7 with 32gb of ram, runs 6 cams at about 17% utilization as compared to 90-100% on my desktop I5, hence the reason I am running it on my laptop.

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the Android app. I have it on a few phones and tablets. The response is not as quick however. The alarms i get through the android push lag the server alarm by up to 1 minute in some instances. One minute, for a home invasion, break in, etc.... is great deal of time. My laptop running BI is an I7 with 32gb of ram, runs 6 cams at about 17% utilization as compared to 90-100% on my desktop I5, hence the reason I am running it on my laptop.
Also, I get very few false triggers any more, after a lot of experimenting with the configurations. The only false trigger I get now (like tonight) is when a bird decided to land on my cam ;-)

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I never ever see that kind of delay ! If it's on a android, iOS , or windows . I have maybe 2 second delay if that .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Push notifications come in under a second..I have never seen a push notification take longer than two seconds or so..
When you say i5 and i7 they are meaningless terms as there are HUGE variations between models...

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
CPU should not matter when it comes to push notifications with BI, I have cheap 60.00 android tablets I use for BI and home automation and still get BI notifications almost instantaneously and I have tested this many times in many different conditions. No reason for a 1 minute push notifications delay. Even my BI server is a old i5 Lynchfield CPU with only 4 gigs of ram. I would start with your network as a bottleneck

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
CPU should not matter when it comes to push notifications with BI, I have cheap 60.00 android tablets I use for BI and home automation and still get BI notifications almost instantaneously and I have tested this many times in many different conditions. No reason for a 1 minute push notifications delay. Even my BI server is a old i5 Lynchfield CPU with only 4 gigs of ram. I would start with your network as a bottleneck
Maybe i didn't word things correctly. The reason I am using a laptop (question asked earlier) is because it handles 6 cameras with a lower utilization than my desktop. Yes, i am aware of different i5's and i7's. Was simply stating my I7 laptop handles BI better than my i5 desktop. The push delays are most likely my cell carrier. The point is, I want the quickest notification with video streaming the alarm (without standby ambient background light if possible).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe i didn't word things correctly. The reason I am using a laptop (question asked earlier) is because it handles 6 cameras with a lower utilization than my desktop. Yes, i am aware of different i5's and i7's. Was simply stating my I7 laptop handles BI better than my i5 desktop. The push delays are most likely my cell carrier. The point is, I want the quickest notification with video streaming the alarm (without standby ambient background light if possible).
if you use the apps push notification at home it doesnt go through your carrier...its data over wifi..dont use text messaging.

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you use the apps push notification at home it doesnt go through your carrier...its data over wifi..dont use text messaging.
OK, sounds valid. Any idea for having a dark screen until triggered? Also, any way to view/monitor on a PC other than Web interface?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, sounds valid. Any idea for having a dark screen until triggered? Also, any way to view/monitor on a PC other than Web interface?

Could you post a screenshot? What do you mean by dark screen?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is an option to bring to foreground on trigger..try playing with that and a black background...

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Could you post a screenshot? What do you mean by dark screen?
Basically, I want everything as dark as possible (for sleeping), but when an alarm triggers ti comes to the foreground. Fenderman has a good suggestion, I just dont know if it will display the alarm while BI runs as a service, or is minimized.

Gswanson74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Basically, I want everything as dark as possible (for sleeping), but when an alarm triggers ti comes to the foreground. Fenderman has a good suggestion, I just dont know if it will display the alarm while BI runs as a service, or is minimized.
Fenderman, now that i think of it, this would only work on the server, correct?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Also, 40 laptops?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you'll hear someone kick the door in?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Was not aware additional copies were only half, interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk