Beginners set for video surveillance

pitagor79

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning to buy 6 cameras - 4 outdoor and 2 indoor. I am completely new to this and spent a few days reading the forum.
I've a house in the countryside where nobody lives in the winter. I am going to use WiFi, I know that the wired is better but I don't want to have wires running all over the place. My choice regarding the outside cameras
- 4 cameras - DS-2CD2132F-IWS - http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014101515575593722.pdf
I am not sure what is the best camera's positioning. To be able to help me I am posting pictures of all side of the house.
So here is my suggestion
1. North side

2. South side

3. East side - Cam 4 view

4. West side - Cam 2 view

For the cameras 2 and 4 I think to take them with 4mm lenses, am I right?
The distance from the house to the fence is less then 3 meters for both sides.

For cameras 1 and 3 I am not sure about the lenses and positioning?

Cheers
Georgi

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...your pictures did not upload properly...
As far as wifi, keep in mind that you will need to supply the cameras with power so you may as well run ethernet and power the camera over a single cable...pay someone to run cable - it will be worth it.

pitagor79

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman,

I've attached them again. I am a software engineer and also one of my hobby is related to the electronics so I think I am able to run the cables. But as I said don't want so many cables in the house. I'll run only power cable for each camera. Otherwise I need to run cable through the entire house... it's not an option for me.
Regarding cameras positioning, is there some rule how to calculate the height. What about Cam 1 and 3 lenses - 4 or 6 mm., which I should take?

Cheers,
Georgi

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman,

I've attached them again. I am a software engineer and also one of my hobby is related to the electronics so I think I am able to run the cables. But as I said don't want so many cables in the house. I'll run only power cable for each camera. Otherwise I need to run cable through the entire house... it's not an option for me.
Regarding cameras positioning, is there some rule how to calculate the height. What about Cam 1 and 3 lenses - 4 or 6 mm., which I should take?

Cheers,
Georgi
Your mounting positions are way too high...you wont get good face shots...IR will have issues reaching as well...If you dont want to mount it lower then i would get varifocal cameras so you can manually adjust the lens..
As far as cables...if you have them professionally run they will be in the walls...you wont see them..also remember that you dont have to homerun all the cables..you can have the cameras run to a poe switch then a single cable to any network connection in the house.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I understand your pictures right, cams 2 and 4 will be mounted up high, looking at very narrow paths. That tells me 6mm is probably better. Further, I encourage you to try rotating the cams 90 degrees so the video is tall, not wide. It might cover the area better. Cam 3 I suggest 4mm, maybe also rotated. That looks like a fairly large area for it to cover. For Cam 1 it looks like the tree would be in the way of a wide view so perhaps 6mm there.

More importantly, don't rely on WiFi unless you absolutely have to. Look up powerline networking adapters and try those first. They allow you to use your electrical wiring for network data. However they aren't really a magic bullet; the speed is often way, way below what they advertise due to noisy electric lines and appliances and circuit layouts that aren't ideal. In general it is more reliable than WiFi though. You can pair them with PoE injectors or a PoE switch to avoid running two wires to each camera.

pitagor79

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your advice.
Yes, cams 2 and 4 - will be mounted up high and will look at very narrow paths. I will check out PoE injectors and switches.
Cheers