Benefit 15 fps for camera

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,
i read often that members install their camera with 15 fps instead of 25.
What is the benefit to set it up at 15 fps vs 25?
Can you see a difference in the camera record?

Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The difference is the amount of storage space required for continuous recording, roughly 20% less at 15FPS versus 25FPS. Storage becomes a problem when a system grows, and they all seem to, past original expectations. Remember, you're not producing a Hollyweird epic, you're trying to get identification of miscreants if it becomes needed.

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The difference is the amount of storage space required for continuous recording, roughly 20% less at 15FPS versus 25FPS. Storage becomes a problem when a system grows, and they all seem to, past original expectations. Remember, you're not producing a Hollyweird epic, you're trying to get identification of miscreants if it becomes needed.
Thanks Sebastian, got enough space but i understand it.
I like fluid images

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
right, the FPS affects the bitrate (network transmission bandwidth), the CPU required to process the video for motion etc, and the storage on disk, whether recording only on motion or full-time.

Some cameras are also just more reliable at lower frame/bit rates, even tho they claim to support higher...

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I might regret even asking this question but I'm gonna guess that some others might be curious as well.

So, GoPro cameras often run at 20 or even over 30 fps. (Some people target 60fps!) These being so common to consumers, I sometimes wonder if that type of expectation is brought into this IP camera forum. I wonder what the cost of a camera would be for a major manufacturer to create one that easily recorded that high. Of course, you'd need more computer horsepower and storage space on your system as well. I'm just wondering if there's a computer that could handle a dozen cameras running 40fps for example. Storage is possible as there's a lot of storage available albeit not exactly cheap. But still....the storage part I know could be done. To hopefully clarify, I'm guessing 12 cameras as those would be outside cameras or even inside where there's motion.

If someone wanted a system that recorded a dozen cameras, all at 30-40fps, all wired (obviously I'd expect), and all continuous recording (to ensure you never miss anything) then what would the setup be? I wonder how much that would cost in cameras and computer alone. The storage could vary all depending on how long you want to keep footage and networking could depend on the layout of the cameras, distances, etc so I'm not including that cost in the "dream system" I'm asking about. And while the type of camera could vary as well (fixed lens vs varifocal vs ptz, etc, etc), I'm just saying an "average camera to handle average coverage".

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Given that BI recently made it possible to use a lower resolution substream for detection and display purposes while maintain the actual video in full resolution I think the system requirements have been greatly reduced. Still, if the substream is using 40FPS, or even 25FPS, it does get pretty horsepower intensive.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - why less fps? Answer less storage and less compute requirements.

As noted by @pozzello "
right, the FPS affects the bitrate (network transmission bandwidth), the CPU required to process the video for motion etc, and the storage on disk, whether recording only on motion or full-time.

Some cameras are also just more reliable at lower frame/bit rates, even tho they claim to support higher... "

and @area651
"If someone wanted a system that recorded a dozen cameras, all at 30-40fps, all wired (obviously I'd expect), and all continuous recording (to ensure you never miss anything) then what would the setup be? I wonder how much that would cost in cameras and computer alone. "

Right now, 5/2020 - Dahua's OEM 8MP non-AI cameras are easily available at 25-30 fps. Similar priced ranged 8MP AI cameras are running about 15 fps - largely due to the processing power required for the AI algorithms.

So some numbers,
8MP camera = 4x resolution of a 1080P / 2MP camera. Thus you'd need significantly more processing power to handle a 8MP resolution video processing for Encode / Decode and motion / AI algorithm processing.

Lowered frame rates will reduce the compute burden.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FYI - why less fps? Answer less storage and less compute requirements.

As noted by @pozzello "

Some cameras are also just more reliable at lower frame/bit rates, even tho they claim to support higher... "

and @area651
"If someone wanted a system that recorded a dozen cameras, all at 30-40fps, all wired (obviously I'd expect), and all continuous recording (to ensure you never miss anything) then what would the setup be? I wonder how much that would cost in cameras and computer alone. "

Right now, 5/2020 - Dahua's OEM 8MP non-AI cameras are easily available at 25-30 fps. Similar priced ranged 8MP AI cameras are running about 15 fps - largely due to the processing power required for the AI algorithms.

So some numbers,
8MP camera = 4x resolution of a 1080P / 2MP camera. Thus you'd need significantly more processing power to handle a 8MP resolution video processing for Encode / Decode and motion / AI algorithm processing.

Lowered frame rates will reduce the compute burden.
Good info! So to continue the idea, what is the cost of a dozen of these cameras you mention ("Dahua's OEM 8MP non-AI cameras")? And also, what would you expect it take from a computing standpoint to handle the load of all of them directly recording?

Btw, I'm not looking to build such. I'm just dreaming of what the "ultimate, mega, incredible, most amazing setup ever" could be. And I guess I'm specifying that type of setup as something where all cameras are getting clear, fluid, constant recording.

Reaction score
Good info! So to continue the idea, what is the cost of a dozen of these cameras you mention ("Dahua's OEM 8MP non-AI cameras")? And also, what would you expect it take from a computing standpoint to handle the load of all of them directly recording?

Btw, I'm not looking to build such. I'm just dreaming of what the "ultimate, mega, incredible, most amazing setup ever" could be. And I guess I'm specifying that type of setup as something where all cameras are getting clear, fluid, constant recording.
This mega system is in the eye of the beholder. Because once you get started you can't stop. I have the mega system in my eyes and i am still wanting more. I have 13 cameras running on blue iris. 2mp,4mp,8mp, and this includes 4PTZ, cameras. And now i have to get two LPR cameras, and then i still need on for the 4th side of my house. So the dream system is never complete. And i am running them at 15 fps and i don't notice any difference. When i need to get video for police it is just fine for identification.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
This mega system is in the eye of the beholder. Because once you get started you can't stop. I have the mega system in my eyes and i am still wanting more. I have 13 cameras running on blue iris. 2mp,4mp,8mp, and this includes 4PTZ, cameras. And now i have to get two LPR cameras, and then i still need on for the 4th side of my house. So the dream system is never complete. And i am running them at 15 fps and i don't notice any difference. When i need to get video for police it is just fine for identification.
I know exactly what you mean. :)

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Video comparisons of people and cars at various framerates. The gain between 30fps and 15fps just isn't that much for surveillance purposes. Yet it uses half the storage/bandwidth.
For things like gaming and TVs, 15FPS difference is huge. But you don't gain enough benefit in the surveillance world running at 30FPS.

Reaction score
Video comparisons of people and cars at various framerates. The gain between 30fps and 15fps just isn't that much for surveillance purposes. Yet it uses half the storage/bandwidth.
For things like gaming and TVs, 15FPS difference is huge. But you don't gain enough benefit in the surveillance world running at 30FPS.

This is great informaton. Thanks