Best 4K PoE camera and NVR kit for under £400/$500

jj007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I am currently looking around for an IP camera system for my house. I require 4 dome/turret cameras and an 8 channel NVR (in case I want to add more cameras in the future). Is there a kit anyone recommends? Doing a quick search online I have come across a reasonably priced kit from Annke but not sure what the forum experts think of it: DH800丨4K Ultra HD PoE Dome Security Camera System

If the above kit is not good, can anyone recommend one that includes all the necessary components for less than £400/$500 mark?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @jj007

Annke - is not a brand I trust due to various deceptive ads from them.

It seems that particular kit may be a Hikvision OEM kit. That would be good news.

That stated, a popular Hikvision OEM indoor camera which Annke sold had numerous security holes which had been addressed in newer firmware that Annke did not update nor did they care to inform the customers of. So many of our members updated the firmware to the Hikvision OEM firmware and were very happy with the results.

Thus - if you do decide to purchase that kit - do not directly connect it to the internet. ( i.e. do not expose it to the internet for anyone to directly login / see the video streams ) - look for the VPN notes in the wiki to learn how to better protect your network from attacks.

In the USA we recently had "Black Friday" and "CyberMonday - CyberWeek" which we had a number of deals which a number of folks were excited about, unfortunately I personally do not know of UK deals so can't help much on possible deals around the £400 mark.

jj007

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @jj007

Annke - is not a brand I trust due to various deceptive ads from them.

It seems that particular kit may be a Hikvision OEM kit. That would be good news.

That stated, a popular Hikvision OEM indoor camera which Annke sold had numerous security holes which had been addressed in newer firmware that Annke did not update nor did they care to inform the customers of. So many of our members updated the firmware to the Hikvision OEM firmware and were very happy with the results.

Thus - if you do decide to purchase that kit - do not directly connect it to the internet. ( i.e. do not expose it to the internet for anyone to directly login / see the video streams ) - look for the VPN notes in the wiki to learn how to better protect your network from attacks.

In the USA we recently had "Black Friday" and "CyberMonday - CyberWeek" which we had a number of deals which a number of folks were excited about, unfortunately I personally do not know of UK deals so can't help much on possible deals around the £400 mark.
Thanks - I’m torn between the 8mp version and the 5mp one due to most people’s experience with low light and moving/motion blurring. Im tempted to just risk the 8mp version due to the superior day time images.

How can I find out if this is the HikVision OEM kit? I presume this can only be done after purchasing. Also how can I update the cameras and NVR to the HikVision OEM version? After doing so, can I use the HikVision software and mobile app instead?

Overall, if this is indeed the HikVision kit then is this something you would recommend for around the $500 mark or are there better alternatives?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks - I’m torn between the 8mp version and the 5mp one due to most people’s experience with low light and moving/motion blurring. Im tempted to just risk the 8mp version due to the superior day time images.

How can I find out if this is the HikVision OEM kit? I presume this can only be done after purchasing. Also how can I update the cameras and NVR to the HikVision OEM version? After doing so, can I use the HikVision software and mobile app instead?

Overall, if this is indeed the HikVision kit then is this something you would recommend for around the $500 mark or are there better alternatives?
Hi jj

Q: How can I find out if this is the HikVision OEM kit?
A: I think the turret looks like a Hikvision turret. You can see if any of the GUI elements or the software interface is shown in any pictures. You can try to contact Annke and ask - or check their website for more info on software that works with the kit, or other cameras, or firmware... various ways to get an idea. Otherwise, yes the best way is to actually have the kit in hand...

Q: Also how can I update the cameras and NVR to the HikVision OEM version?
A: I have not memorized that answer, so you'll want to search here for it.

Q: can I use the HikVision software and mobile app instead?
A: I assume you can use the Hikvision mobile app without changes to the firmware. I do not know if firmware updates are locked on these Annke products. You'll have to research more on that topic.

Q: Overall, if this is indeed the HikVision kit then is this something you would recommend for around the $500 mark or are there better alternatives?
A: I'm more into the Dahua product line - so I know less about hikvision products and know little about UK vendors. A lot of us get Dahua OEM international models from a ipct member named Andy. ( EmpireTecAndy ). We especially like the models which work better in low light conditions.

jj007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi jj

Q: How can I find out if this is the HikVision OEM kit?
A: I think the turret looks like a Hikvision turret. You can see if any of the GUI elements or the software interface is shown in any pictures. You can try to contact Annke and ask - or check their website for more info on software that works with the kit, or other cameras, or firmware... various ways to get an idea. Otherwise, yes the best way is to actually have the kit in hand...

Q: Also how can I update the cameras and NVR to the HikVision OEM version?
A: I have not memorized that answer, so you'll want to search here for it.

Q: can I use the HikVision software and mobile app instead?
A: I assume you can use the Hikvision mobile app without changes to the firmware. I do not know if firmware updates are locked on these Annke products. You'll have to research more on that topic.

Q: Overall, if this is indeed the HikVision kit then is this something you would recommend for around the $500 mark or are there better alternatives?
A: I'm more into the Dahua product line - so I know less about hikvision products and know little about UK vendors. A lot of us get Dahua OEM international models from a ipct member named Andy. ( EmpireTecAndy ). We especially like the models which work better in low light conditions.
Would the Dahua OEM models from Andy fit in my budget?

lockzie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi jj,

How did you get on with your cam? Have you updated the firmware, if so, what was the version please?
what model is this as a hikvision?

cheers
lockzie