Best Blue Iris NVR Build for around $700 budget

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys, been learning allot here on forum. Thank you for all feedback. Very friendly here.

I have a client who wants a 7CH system. Decided to go with Longse Cams and BI

Currently today... ( I know how prices of computer parts change all the time, I own a small comptuer repair shop )

What BI NVR would build for $700 and a budget of $250 for a PoE switch? ( Do they make switches that are better for video recording? I know you want a giga uplink, but are some switches specifically made to handle video? )

Looking around on Newegg... I want the motherboard to be a microATX because going to put in a small case.

Thank you:)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont build a pc. You are throwing your money away. Search the forum for elitedesk and optiplex and you will see lots of threads discussing the subject.

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't know about specific switches for video, but I have two Zyxel Fanless 8 Port GB switches and they are money. The interface is super fast, and the switches are silent and very user friendly. I have had these two running my entire camera system without issue for over 3 months. Just take note that if you hook up more than 4 cameras POE change the power setting to consumption or the 5th and subsequent cameras won't work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GU1KULM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687702&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005GRETPO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=019AAS9CXWGH0ERGJCRK

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My suggestion is a refurbished i5-4590 or i5-4570 system for about $300-$350 on ebay, which will handle 7 of just about any camera very well with room to spare once you've tuned Blue Iris right. I suggest one of these switches, though I've never used either myself the specs and price are just right: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010QXCIRS http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H58P8RU

A 10/100 PoE switch is fine for cameras, as long as you uplink it to a gigabit switch and also connect all PCs to gigabit.

If you feel it is necessary, replace or add a hard drive to the refurbished system (depending on the compatibility of the small form factor system you choose). Western Digital Purple drives are optimized for surveillance, but any hard drive will work.

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as a switch that is optimized for video.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for input guys. At my computer shop I have a bunch 20+ HP elite desks slimline computers sitting around. I think I will upgrade the HDD to WD Purple and DDR3 Memory to 16GB. That should run BI very smooth.

Good links for switches and information. Big help. :)

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got a simple setup of 3 cameras 3 more on the way cat6 custom runs throughout the house i5-2400 with 10gig memory (thanks fenderman) using netgear 16 port POE smart switch + 8poe/8giga and a 16 port giga/8port gig. I keep cameras on a different subnet then my Lan.. also running pfsense for router and firewall. All using dell 8200 sff machines with low profile nics.. next year im upgrading to an i7 just because

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My build came out to just around $600
Dell Optiplex 7010 I7 (3.4) for $250 from Craigslist, got the price down some after I asked him to keep the Ram and hard drive
240GB SSD I took out of a system I upgraded, but you can get a 120GB for about $40
I caught a great sale on 8GB memory and for $100 I got 32GB of 1600MHZ
Then Newegg had a sale on 4TB Seagate Surveillance drives and I got two for $236

I picked up an 8port GB POE * port network switch from Microcenter for $47 that has 4 POE ports. If/when I need more I can get another switch.

So far it has been working pretty good, but I have just started my adventure

Last edited by a moderator:

vialentvia

n3wb
Reaction score
For about $700 I just put into service this evening my build.

Mostly from Newegg, I got a
Raidmax 920 Narwhal case
MSI Z97 PC Mate board
4790K processor
LEPA Aquachanger 240 water cooler
Corsair CX750M 750w power supply
G Skill Ripjaws 16GB RAM 2133Mhz

I already had the hard drives and DVD drive from my previous build.