Best Blue Iris setting for less false alerts due to windy cloud shadows?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On some of the cloudy days lately with wind and the clouds moving in and out over the sun, it makes these shadows on the ground quickly. It makes the cameras motion go off every few minutes. VERY annoying. (I have audio alerts for motion) I have 0 false alerts on regular normal sunny days. It's just started up 3 times in the past 14 days, Spring weather? :p

I've noticed a setting for ignoring full screen changes or something, and it was default at 67. I've changed it to 100, and even down to 1 and it made no difference. Anyone want to school me real quick? :)

Thanks, love the app, just need separate motion adjustments for each zone now.
:eek:nthego:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the setting for full screen motion was introduced to handle a case from a member here that had a zoomed camera doing plate recognition and had cars that took up a majority of the camera frame, so I doubt this will affect the clouds problem you are having.

Are you currently using cancel shadows options for the problem cameras? This used to work fairly well, but I have been reading of complaints on it as of late. Just checking if you are using since this might be a good first place to look.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can send Ken (the Blue Iris developer) some of the clips causing you trouble, he may be able to advise or tweak the algorithms to help.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, cancel shadows has been on. The windy weather with clouds and sun peeking in and out is killer.
At least it's only happening for this pre-spring weather stuff.

I'm hoping for being able to adjust sensitivity of different zones at some point. I could set up multiple zones on (1) camera. Currently with a wide angle camera you are stuck with the same sensitivity for motion weather the moving object is 5 feet from the camera, or 35 feet. The object has to be very large to trigger motion if it's far away, unless you adjust the object detection sensitivity very low, but then tiny objects/slightest cloud shadow-sun burst close to the camera sets off the motion.

What does the black and white / high definition check boxes mean under the same tab as the "cancel shadows"?

nashvegas

n3wb
Reaction score
Were you able to get to a resolution on finding a good setting for this? I'm having a similar issue. I have been real happy with my settings on motion detection, however I live surrounded by 60-100ft trees and if any wind gets up the trees will move allowing sun to dance around causing lots of false alerts. Not sure how to correct for this allowing the motion detection for calm situations to work.

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tagging along to see what comes up with this also.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't, I just live with it. It's only on certain days when it's windy and moves the clouds with the sun coming in and out. It works AMAZING and PERFECT on any days but that. I can't complain, best motion detection I've ever seen. I wish there was a way to ignore the sudden full screen motion change, but I haven't figured it out. It was a bad day with the wind today, so it was going off all day.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
object size exceeds
I played with that when I made this original thread and it didn't help. I emailed Blue Iris maker and he said it didn't do what I was explaining I needed. I can't remember what he said exactly. Unless something has changed since then?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I played with that when I made this original thread and it didn't help. I emailed Blue Iris maker and he said it didn't do what I was explaining I needed. I can't remember what he said exactly. Unless something has changed since then?
I have no idea what your conversation was with him..but that setting is designed to do what you want.
from the help file:
Use the Object size exceeds setting to reset the motion detector when very large objects are detected. This will help to prevent false positive triggering in the event of scene or major lighting changes.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have no idea what your conversation was with him..but that setting is designed to do what you want.
from the help file:
Use the Object size exceeds setting to reset the motion detector when very large objects are detected. This will help to prevent false positive triggering in the event of scene or major lighting changes.
I'll mess with it when it's windy and cloudy again and see how it goes. I wish I still had the email, because I messed with that settings and got no results, and I had emailed him asking about it and explaining what I was doing and I remember him saying it wasn't for what I was trying to do.

Maybe he misunderstood, or I did, although when I tested it the setting didn't work at all for me. I think I have another post around here where I talked about all the settings I had tried, including "object size exceeds" and the luck I had.

That was a last year, I'll go messing with it again soon.

USMC_Rob

n3wb
Reaction score
For you guys having trouble with clouds/sun, try setting OBJECT SIZE EXCEEDS to 500%, just as a test.

In my trials, what this does exactly (like it says) is resets the trigger when the MIN OBJECT SIZE (whatever you have it set to) exceeds 500% of that number (ie. you have it set to 200, so when it exceeds 1000). Like a major lighting change/cloud (like it says).

This is the way I understand, and it has worked for me.

Hope that helps!

USMC_Rob

n3wb
Reaction score
Just realized that is capped at 100% even tho I set it to 500%, I thought the setting was sticking and not capped. 100% does work tho, for me at least.

nashvegas

n3wb
Reaction score
I confused. So you set the Reset detector when Object size exceeds: 100%?

Wouldn't that make it more sensitive to lighting changes? I maybe misunderstanding the setting if that's the case, I would have suspected that you would want to make that value smaller to help with false alarms due to shadows / light through trees.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have mine set lower to mitigate this problem. I think around 50% I will check my setting later. My interpretation and experience was lower the percentage for less false signals.

nashvegas

n3wb
Reaction score
That was my interpretation as well. I have been working on adjusting mine downward to help with the false alerts. In some areas with the 60-100ft trees I've had to go as low as 30%.

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also have this issue with fast moving clouds casting shadows & quick light changes.
I can see the motion rectangles turning red. Most of the time, they stay green - Cancel shadows doing its work!

Object Size Exceeds - setting....
Correct this if I am wrong please.
I believe this applied to motion detection as defined by the largest rectangle box detected, and NOT the entire screen. At least, this is what I got from my testing of different settings. If this is set too low, like 10%, 23%, and there is a motion close to the camera, there would be a strong possibility that it would not be triggered. For example, someone popping up from under a window to jimmy it. They would appear in the view large, like 20-30%(ish) of the camera view. I have mine at 60% - safer to have false triggers than miss a valid one.

I found that if I also increase 'Object Travels(pixels)' to 250-350, it eliminates most of the tree/shadows in high winds. But, any more than this will effect normal detection. The more HD the camera, the higher the travel pixel value can be (larger field of view).

Suggestion: Additional 'Cancel Shadows' setting?
Within the 'Cancel Shadows' setting, have a 'Shadow Travels(pixel)' setting which would be specific to the Shadow(s) being tracked, and not the normal non-shadow detection. This would allow larger travel values for shadows without effecting normal motion (non-shadow) detection.
The problem with this that I see, is if there is a valid motion that occurs in/through a shadow area, it probably would not be detected!
Crazy?