Best camera's for Blue Iris

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello all

Finally got BI set up on my PC so Its time to start connecting camera's

I purchased off eBay two QVIS camera's but no matter what I try I cannot get BI to detect them, so ....

What are the best brand of camera to buy for use with BI

Ideally I'm looking for something that BI will detect & configure easily

I'm guessing that Foscam is perhaps the best, as BI seems to look for Foscam compatibility ??

Replies from your first-hand experience on what would be the best brands to purchase would be most appreciated

Ideally I'm looking for brands who do IP POE camera's of at least 4MP

Many thanks & kind regards

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Mike

I've kinda already figured that out with the QVIS :) - Doubt I can return them, but I can list them on ebay .....

Will the person at the link you listed supply to the UK ? I'll have to ask him

I see from your sig file that you use Hikvision, so I'm guessing that these work well (easily) with BI & are auto detected ?

Tony

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm guessing that Foscam is perhaps the best, as BI seems to look for Foscam compatibility ??
When I added my cameras (a bunch of Dahua and some Hikvisions), after entering the IP address, username and password, I clicked the Find/Inspect button. It queried the camera and set the best options for it. Even though they're Dahua/Hikvision, Blue Iris set them all up with a Make of "Generic/ONVIF"... I know if I was choosing Makes manually, I would have never picked that option. If you haven't already tried the Find/Inspect option when adding a camera, might be worth a shot.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike

I've kinda already figured that out with the QVIS :) - Doubt I can return them, but I can list them on ebay .....

Will the person at the link you listed supply to the UK ? I'll have to ask him

I see from your sig file that you use Hikvision, so I'm guessing that these work well (easily) with BI & are auto detected ?

Tony
Sell them on eBay, good idea. Hikvision is also good, but right now the low lights seemed to be the hottest cameras on the Forum. To be honest in my opinion the Hikvisions are actually a little easier to initially set up due to the way Dahua assigns IP addresses, but after you do one it's not that bad. You won't go wrong with Hikvision or the low light Dahuas

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've read up on some of the reviews on the low light / starlight cameras and it concerns me that I have absolutely zero light for them to work off

I'm in a rural location with no street lighting. I'm surrounded by trees and I'm in the Pennines in the UK .... where it usually rains

The Victorian era engineers built loads or reservoirs around where I live for this very reason ;)

We have loads of clouds but we can rarely see stars.

My wife gets annoyed when the ISS is passing over and she can't see it :wtf:

I'm kinda set on the fact that I'll need some form of illumination for the camera's to work, like IR, maybe even separate IR illuminators in given area's in addition to the LED PIR security lights I'll be fitting

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I've read up on some of the reviews on the low light / starlight cameras and it concerns me that I have absolutely zero light for them to work off

I'm in a rural location with no street lighting. I'm surrounded by trees and I'm in the Pennines in the UK .... where it usually rains

The Victorian era engineers built loads or reservoirs around where I live for this very reason ;)

We have loads of clouds but we can rarely see stars.

My wife gets annoyed when the ISS is passing over and she can't see it :wtf:

I'm kinda set on the fact that I'll need some form of illumination for the camera's to work, like IR, maybe even separate IR illuminators in given area's in addition to the LED PIR security lights I'll be fitting
The low lights that Andy offers all have IR lights on them, so do Hikvisions. If you could add IR Illuminators or white light that always helps, but the cameras will work in pitch darkness with the built in IR lights.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification, Mike - very much appreciated