Best cheap hikvsion LPR camera?

mackmadera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The cheapest way I know to do it is to buy EmpireTech's Dahua clone camera from Amazon. Don't be misled; it's a 2mp-4mp camera, which is what you'll want. You'll never get tags off higher-resolution cameras. They are just not fast enough for a moving vehicle.

You can get a number of cheap NVRs. Sovmiku makes one for under $100. This is what I run; it's flawless. You need a hard drive, too. I've also seen people buy used cameras on Ebay. But all of this depends on what you're trying to do. If you've got cars whizzing by at highway speeds, that's going to be much more expensive than getting a tag # off someone driving slowly by your house. I also don't run LPR software. I've got the tag; if there's a problem, the police can do it. I don't think a cheaper camera can do it. You've got to have a very fast shutter speed.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You've got to have a very fast shutter speed.
+1^^^^...and a large enough sensor to be able to adequately process the exposure because of A) that fast shutter speed and B) possible reduced lighting.

The IPC-B52IR-Z12E S2 has been the go-to LPR camera for many because of its high focal length. :cool:

Last edited:

mackmadera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got the 4 mp version of that. On my little road, it does a great job, but I'd be willing to bet the 2mp version of that could handle more speed. For $259, that's hard to beat. LPR is one of those things you can spend as much as you want on. I'm scanning ebay for a used 2mp one to read plates going the other way. I keep about 24 TB of security footage because it's just so cheap nowadays :). If something happens, I can parse back through and see if I can find a pattern that leads up to the incident. That said, this hobby has cost me more than I should have let it :). By nature, a lot of us here are nerds :).

Bill Gates

n3wb
Reaction score
+1^^^^...and a large enough sensor to be able to adequately process the exposure because of A) that fast shutter speed and B) possible reduced lighting.

The IPC-B52IR-Z12E S2 has been the go-to LPR camera for many because of its high focal length. :cool:
Can the camera give me a phone notification if it detects a list of certain plate numbers? I'm looking for a camera that can do that. Either the camera itself or I guess the NVR could have that feature, whatever is the best/cheapest. Don't want to deal with Blue Iris stuff tho.

I also can get the original dahua or hikvision products. Are they the same than these clones? Certainly it would be cheaper option for me to get the originals, I'm not from the US.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can the camera give me a phone notification if it detects a list of certain plate numbers? I'm looking for a camera that can do that. Either the camera itself or I guess the NVR could have that feature, whatever is the best/cheapest. Don't want to deal with Blue Iris stuff tho.
You need real ANPR/LPR camera.

HIK have a tons of camera models with ANPR functionality

PS. they are not cheap...

I also can get the original dahua or hikvision products. Are they the same than these clones? Certainly it would be cheaper option for me to get the originals, I'm not from the US.
they aren't clones - they are OEM's..
They are produced by HIK/Dahua with no logo - so OEM's can sell it under own brand / name with own support..
product is they same, most OEM's use original HIK/Dahua firmware (but there are some which puts own very limited firmware)..
In most western countries original HIK/Dahua costs 2-4x more that OEM's we use here in forum.

Bill Gates

n3wb
Reaction score
You need real ANPR/LPR camera.

HIK have a tons of camera models with ANPR functionality

PS. they are not cheap...

they aren't clones - they are OEM's..
They are produced by HIK/Dahua with no logo - so OEM's can sell it under own brand / name with own support..
product is they same, most OEM's use original HIK/Dahua firmware (but there are some which puts own very limited firmware)..
In most western countries original HIK/Dahua costs 2-4x more that OEM's we use here in forum.
Thanks for the info