Best Dahua NVR for no more than 8 cameras?

E-Q

n3wb
Reaction score
New to the forum long time lurking :)

Question? I'm thinking on buying "initially" one Dahua camera for my driveway and perhaps 2 or 3 more around the house. So far eyeballing the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. Important good night vision clarity.

What would be the best and most advanced Dahua NVR I could get for less than 8 cameras? I would like something that's future proof and AI face recognition capable but don't want to waste money on 16CH systems.

I realistically won't use more than 4 cameras. I'm an IT guy so setting up a BI SFF PC won't be a problem but somehow I feel I should go with the very simplistic way by using a dedicated NVR system.

-Thanks in Advance! I'm open for suggestions :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If you really want to get an NVR, but one that doesn't come with any PoE ports. Buy a PoE Switch separately. There's not much of a price difference between 8-channel and 16-channel, but if you want an NVR that supports no more than 8 cameras then opt for the 8-channel. which will support up to 8 cameras.

Here is a good model, US $181.44 5% OFF|NVR4108HS 8P 4KS2 8 Channel Compact 1U 8PoE 4K&H.265 Lite NVR without Logo NVR4108HS 8P 4KS2 free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

If you're on a strict budget, consider this instead, US $107.34 5% OFF|NVR4108 4KS2 8 Channel Smart 1U 4K&H.265 Network Video Recorder without Logo NVR4108 4KS2 free shipping-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

You can buy an 8-port PoE switch from BV-Tech, TP-Link, and/or Zyxel

If you want some AI built in @looney2ns recently reviewed that model, but apparently isn't ready for prime-time

E-Q

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank You so much for your help.

So if there is no much price difference then I could always get a 16-channel one. Which one would you recommend with and without POE? I have been reading and there are several good options. Would love one AI ready :)

E-Q

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank You good sir,

I think I memorized Cliff Notes and BI hardware update links. I think I'm going to take your advice and get a BI PC.

BTW, I'm a big fan of your reviews :) if you were to pick the one camera to oversee your driveway which one will you choose today after all your experience? :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have any street lights nearby, then the 5231ze still wins.
If you don't, then the new Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-S Starlight+ | IP Cam Talk is showing good promise, there are still some firmware issue's to iron out. Only downside, the 5442 is as of this writing only available in fixed lens, no varifocal.
It's working well with trip wire, and BI at detecting only people, and no false events in the week it's been pulling that duty.

Reactions: E-Q