Best indoor camera for use with Blue Iris

Caveman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey

Im looking to replace 2 Netgear Arlo Q cameras since they dont work well with my Home Assistant setup.
Are Hikvision 2MP cubes the best indoor camera for use with Blue Iris, or are there other options to consider?
Im using them to keep track of the kids while they sleep mostly, so good nightvision is essential.

Thanks in advance :)

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had some good luck with the new 3mp Hikvision cube - DS-2CD2435FWD-IW. It has similar night vision specs to the Ultra Low lights. Downside is it is 2x the cost (if you ask nicely, Andy can get you one) and they got rid of the the alarm IO ports on the back. It has a nicer night picture than my old 2mp and 4mp cubes.

Caveman

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up ordering IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE from Andy.
Im very happy with my 5231R-Z varifocals, so I expect this camera to do the job indoors nicely enough.

SDONG

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had some good luck with the new 3mp Hikvision cube - DS-2CD2435FWD-IW. It has similar night vision specs to the Ultra Low lights. Downside is it is 2x the cost (if you ask nicely, Andy can get you one) and they got rid of the the alarm IO ports on the back. It has a nicer night picture than my old 2mp and 4mp cubes.
Hello! I'm new to this forum. I'm interested in purchasing this camera and located in California. It looks like Hikvision has an office that's near me (18639 Railroad Street, City of Industry, California 91748). Can I purchase directly from them? Who is Andy?

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy is "Empirecandy", a reseller overseas that many on the forums has used.

As for buying Hikvision directly you can always call them up and ask.

Otherwise there are sources for their cameras, maybe Andy is one (not sure) he usually is the go to source for Dahua I believe.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On another note, I'm in the same boat as the OP. The OEM "Cubes" are not available, just the branded Hikvisions for about 100 bucks from a variety of vendors. Always makes me nervous buying from these unknow 3rd parties even with the Amazon return policies.

So my question to this is what would be a better alternative to the cube in the same price range? I'm looking for 2-3 cameras for use without mounting as I'm moving in about 4-5 months. So I want cameras that can be placed on a shelf, like the cubes. Anyone have any suggestions? I know Dahua has dome versions that look promising such as the one Caveman mentioned but can they be used on a shelf or with a mount that can put them in normal orientation on a shelf?

Thanks!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
On another note, I'm in the same boat as the OP. The OEM "Cubes" are not available, just the branded Hikvisions for about 100 bucks from a variety of vendors. Always makes me nervous buying from these unknow 3rd parties even with the Amazon return policies.

So my question to this is what would be a better alternative to the cube in the same price range? I'm looking for 2-3 cameras for use without mounting as I'm moving in about 4-5 months. So I want cameras that can be placed on a shelf, like the cubes. Anyone have any suggestions? I know Dahua has dome versions that look promising such as the one Caveman mentioned but can they be used on a shelf or with a mount that can put them in normal orientation on a shelf?

Thanks!
IPC-K35A

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like Annke 161DR and the Hykamic clones of Hikvision are all sold out on Amazon. Is there an alternative?

RROONNBB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

RROONNBB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Glad to have this resurrected ccattie - I got distracted and haven't ordered anything yet so will be interested in hearing what you find. Never did hear whether there's any firmware update issues either.

ccattie

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my "review" of the item. Wanted to run it through a few days and nights and try it out in a few different places. I'll be posting in the next few days. It isn't a bad camera though.
-c