Best Ip cameras

Popeye

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking into getting an Amcrest IP hd wireless camera. I'm choosing this camera because it says it works with Blue Iris. Would anyone recommend something else that is better than this camera? I am using it for monitoring the inside of my apartment because I was recently broken into, and I want to be able to monitor it on my computer from work, as well as my cell phone.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would recommend not getting that and avoiding Amcrest in total, their disregard to support Foscam which they have now dropped shows their level of customer service.

If you are looking for a bullet camera then for that price consider a Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I or Dahua IPC-HFW4421S

I would recommend a turret camera either Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I or Dahua IPC-HFW4421(EM)

Popeye

n3wb
Reaction score
I want something that can be viewed over the internet because I live in an apartment. If I have a dvr system they can steal it and that would be useless don't you think. This will be my first camera so I am not real sure what to get . I'm seeing that you have to buy some sort of switch on top of buying the camera. How does that work?

Popeye

n3wb
Reaction score
What is required to power these cameras? I have seen something about a poe or poe injector.. What exactly are these in relation to a power source? Will an ethernet cable power the camera? Also will either one of these brands of camera work with Blur Iris? I no nothing about programing or port forwarding so how exactly would I connect one of these cameras at home and be able to view it at work. I do not have a computer at home right now but most definitely have internet to plug an ethernet cable into. Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

KhMeRA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would recommend not getting that and avoiding Amcrest in total, their disregard to support Foscam which they have now dropped shows their level of customer service.

If you are looking for a bullet camera then for that price consider a Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I or Dahua IPC-HFW4421S

I would recommend a turret camera either Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I or Dahua IPC-HFW4421(EM)

I want to get those bullet camera but they don't make any 2.8mm (4MP) version anymore.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want to get those bullet camera but they don't make any 2.8mm (4MP) version anymore.
They've never made 2.8mm, for that you need DS-2CD2642FWD-I, I've never seen one of them. Why 2.8mm? It's a fishbowl with 4MP.

KhMeRA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They've never made 2.8mm, for that you need DS-2CD2642FWD-I, I've never seen one of them. Why 2.8mm? It's a fishbowl with 4MP.
I need to install under eaves and shooting to my front door. It is pretty close from where I will have it install to the door so I prefer 2.8mm and under for this place. I prefer bullet since I have a smaller mounting base and easy to adjust.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is required to power these cameras? I have seen something about a poe or poe injector.. What exactly are these in relation to a power source? Will an ethernet cable power the camera? Also will either one of these brands of camera work with Blur Iris? I no nothing about programing or port forwarding so how exactly would I connect one of these cameras at home and be able to view it at work. I do not have a computer at home right now but most definitely have internet to plug an ethernet cable into. Any recommendations?
Popeye, your kidding us right? I understand you want to learn...but sheesh...have you done ANY research on your own?

von101

n3wb
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with Hik cams. they're absolutely the best

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn`t call them the "best", particularly the cheapish ones most folks have. Decent video quality and reliability, available in the US from retailers with good support and warranty, plus they're common enough to get lots of community support if you prefer that or went the Chinese route to get yours.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They're not the best but they are better than complete rubbish is why most here recommend them. They are reliable is the no 1 reason I recommend them.

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
PoE is power over Ethernet, using a single Ethernet cable to provide power and data transmission. Both the NVR (or a switch) and camera must be PoE devices. Make sure to buy quality solid core (i.e., avoid stranded or copper clad aluminum) Ethernet cables.

If you care about network security, I'd avoid port forwarding.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

Popeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Is port forwarding where you view it from a computer outside of your home through the internet? If so, what is the most secure way of viewing your camera and can you recommend a good ethernet cable from amazon or elsewhere that meets the recommendations you just mentioned? Also what seller sells the USA version? Thanks!

Popeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Q2U-- you seems to have a attitude for us that do not know anything we are stupid. I wanted answers so I came here. If you do not have any good advice I would appreciate it if you just kept silent! Everyone else here has been helpful except you.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In defense of Q2U, some of what you're asking is a lot more in depth then can be provided in a post. Also, some of what you asked is basic IP stuff here (PoE questions). Its pretty obvious you haven't done much research on your own and I recommend you use Google or Yahoo to get a better idea of the capabilities of these systems and what everything entails. You're not gonna be able to get what you want from a system if you don't know how it operates, why it operates a certain way and how to make it as secure as you're requesting. No one here will take you by the hand and show you everything step by step but if you have questions, there are more then enough resources here and on the net to provide answers.

You're asking about good cameras, and that is relative to the environment it would be placed. You're talking about the most secure way however open ports on your router isn't at all. There's a lot more that goes into it and yes it is good to ask questions but ideally it falls on you to figure out what it will take by searching and browsing around.

That being said if you want security you need to consider a VPN and not open ports. You have to have a router that can run a VPN server. You'll use a VPN app on your smartphone or device to access your network and in turn access your NVR/DVR/Recording PC depending on what route you take.

Boxed systems like the link you provided work for some people because they may be easy to install at set up but in the long run they might not be the most reliable and are def not the most secure. This site is about piecing your own system together and the advantages they hold over boxed sets in certain circumstances.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Q2U-- you seems to have a attitude for us that do not know anything we are stupid. I wanted answers so I came here. If you do not have any good advice I would appreciate it if you just kept silent! Everyone else here has been helpful except you.
I didn't mean to offend you popeye. And I didn't mean to imply that you are stupid. But by the nature of your questions, it is apparent that you are ignorant. That's OK, but imo it's not OK to be righteous about one's ignorance. Your ignorance is the result of lack of effort of effort on your part. Many of us have suffered the pain of trial and error learning which has absorbed weeks and month's for some...and years for others. When you ask questions which indicate that you have made little or no effort to learn anything before coming here you're dumping your ignorance on our shoulders. You're asking questions which have been asked have been answered hundreds and hundreds of times already. If you have the wherewithal to perform searches and read for several days you would spare everyone a lot redundant effort.

There are many forums where the people who maintain the forum require that all newbies precede all posts with the statement that (1) "I have read the FAQ" and (2) "I have searched this forum to determine if the answer already exists". To come here and ask rudimentary IP camera questions dumps your ignorance onto our shoulders and requires that we repeat the answers which have been posted many many times before.

There's a lot of guys here we don't mind that, and will generously answer the same questions over and over again. But in my opinion you've got a lot of nerve scolding me for telling you to "do a little work on your own pal...then come to us".

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First ever post, what's the best ip camera? That's never a good start. I just felt obligated to steer you away from Amcrest rubbish.