Best IP Security Cameras for the price

Reaction score
I am currently using two usb webcams connected to a computer running blue iris to monitor my front yard and the workshop I have in my basement. I am looking to expand my current video surveillance setup by adding 4 or 5 ip cameras behind more windows in my basement so I can monitor my drive way, back yard, river walk out, detached garage and basement entrance.
I want to stay away from proprietary systems such as nest and wink. Based on my research I should be looking for API and ONVIF compatible cameras. I want to get the best performance for my money and $100 CAD is the absolute max I can spend per camera.
I have looked at various websites and most recommend hikvision as the best value option however I am not sure exactly what model to buy. I have also heard that many sellers on ebay and amazon are selling knockoff cameras.
Please give me some suggestions on what I should get. I want cameras with very good night vision, at least 3MP resolution, poe support, something that can survive extreme cold and heat since where I live temperatures reach + and - 40 degrees. I don’t really need dome cameras with PTZ capability. Bullet type cameras are fine for my needs however if I can get a good dome with PTZ for not much more money I will consider getting 1 or 2 to try out.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, If you are looking at <$100 then take a look at the IPC-T2431TM there is a review about it below.

You can either purchase it from this forum I believe or direct from @EMPIRETECANDY (Andy) who most users on this forum purchase from. Excellent seller and will resolve any issues after sales.

Or his Amazon store front

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
^ Agree here. You will be hard pressed to find a better camera for this kind of money. They are also Starlight, they perform pretty decent for a 1/3 sensor. I have 2 of them and have been happy with the performance for what I paid.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll add to the chorus. I have a couple of those cameras, and they are very good for the price. I started with USB cameras and BI years ago, and you will enjoy the difference, especially at night. Make sure you go through the Wiki (blue bar above) to select the cameras. You need to understand field of view/lens focal length to be able to identify people. If you have any questions, folks here can answer them!