Best Local View Platform

Imburr

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a very simple need. Three IP cameras on a LAN, no recording only live view. I need all 3 on one 26" monitor in the living room. I have tried 3 solutions, to varying degrees of success:

1. Blue Iris on server, with 3 cameras going to it. Chromecast on monitor, dialing into that website. It was slow, unreliable, and lagged out frequently.
2. Blue Iris on server, Raspberry Pi running FullPageOs. I encoded the password into the URL, so it actually automatically pulled up the cams easily. Problem is that after a period of time (hours) the page lagged out and showed a delay- so I was manually rebooting the Pi almost every day.
3. NexBox Android system. Manually used a controller to dial into the website using Chrome app. Just too complex to upkeep, and when it crashed, took a while to get it running.
4. Latest and best so far. I put an old laptop (A nice one though, I am in IT so SSD, Core i7, 16 GB RAM) behind the monitor. I put Blue Iris on it in headless mode. I then pulled up localhost on browser, and connected a HDMI cable for mirrored display. Problem is, the laptop is aging, and the power cord wont stay in. So as of late, I am having to "jiggle it just right" and then turn it on.

What is the best solution for my problem of remote display? I have unlimited resources in equipment- devices, computers, servers, laptops. I can run cabling where needed. What is my most stable 24/7 solution to have a camera monitor up all the time?

Thanks in advance!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @looney2ns said, assuming that 26 incher is NOT a recent smart TV with a browser and Android.

---OR--

If you were happy with #4 I'd just fix that laptop.

I have cracked open perhaps 2 dozen laptops in the last 10 years and replaced worn-out or broken female DC power jacks. It can be tedious, there's some technique involved in the process but it's not rocket science. They are plenty of guides online and disassembly guides from manufacturer support sites. I make use of old credit cards and plastic spatulas too.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Run HDMI from your reliable Blue Iris server to the monitor in the living room. You can full-screen Blue Iris on it.

If you want to make the raspberry pi do it instead, don't try running a browser. That is super-inefficient and the pi is a slow computer. There's a hardware-accelerated video player for the pi called "omxplayer" which can pull RTSP video sources (directly from your IP cams, no need to go through Blue Iris as an intermediary). Of course that isn't easy to set up on its own and isn't 100% reliable. So there exist some tools to help automate the creation of a video wall using it. Here's one: SvenVD/rpisurv Here is another, written by yours truly: bp2008/OmxPlayerAuto

Imburr

n3wb
Reaction score
Fire tv stick and tinycampro
So this would be no BlueIris, and from camera right into TinyCam... That's what used to run on my phone.

Does those show the all camera view full screen without borders? Does app need to be restarted frequently?

Imburr

n3wb
Reaction score
If you were happy with #4 I'd just fix that laptop.
I'm not overly happy with #4, it just works ok. Have to worry about heat, visibility, power, OS, security, etc. I would love something that was 0 maintenance and just works.

Imburr

n3wb
Reaction score
If you want to make the raspberry pi do it instead, don't try running a browser. That is super-inefficient and the pi is a slow computer. There's a hardware-accelerated video player for the pi called "omxplayer" which can pull RTSP video sources (directly from your IP cams, no need to go through Blue Iris as an intermediary). Of course that isn't easy to set up on its own and isn't 100% reliable. So there exist some tools to help automate the creation of a video wall using it. Here's one: SvenVD/rpisurv Here is another, written by yours truly: bp2008/OmxPlayerAuto
I'll check it out, I think I have a R Pi 3B lying around. This is stable as in it can run for a week without me having to go hit the power button to reboot it? Also, I would get rid of Blue Iris with this solution, yeah? If I get rid of BI, then I would have to plug the cameras back into the camera app on cell phones and configure Nat. One of the benefits on BI is it simplifies pulling multiple streams into a mobile device through one port/IP in the app. Thoughts? I don't mind the legwork as long as the end result is solid.

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried the SvenVD but it didn't work for my, gave me some errors although i configured a couple of RTSP streams right.

On an Android TV box (Tanix TX 3 Max) i've set up Tinycam with remote RTSP streams, and it's a bit slow (tried both software and hardware video acceleration) - there is a 1 second skip in the frames, but i suspect it's the sheer number of RTSP streams per page (10) that i'm viewing and the CPU/GPU combo.

There are no borders on the tinycam, it's a great app, can also cycle through multiple stream pages (if you have a lot of streams) every given number of seconds.

I'd go with tinycam if possible.

Imburr

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have been hacking away at this... and a lot of people are recommending TinyCam Monitor. Here are my notes:

1. TinyCam has to be setup per phone, manually. This means I have to add my 4 cameras to my phone, then my wifes phone, then the ipad, then the other android device. Changes need to be made across all.
2. TinyCam viewing from outside of network, requires lots of rules to be setup. Thats NAT and firewall rules for all 4 cameras.
3. TinyCam remote access means the cameras themselves are open to the internet, which is a huge vulnerability as we all know.
4. TinyCam performance (even on a high end device and HW+) can be just ok.

BlueIris solves almost all of these problems:
1. You setup all cameras on the server, and then you just connect app to server. This means changes made to cameras are done in one place as well.
2. Viewing outside of network requires one rule to allow access. This also allows for closer monitoring for security purposes.
3. Cameras are fully on the LAN, with only one link to the camera server. This also lets you protect the camera server with a software based firewall for added security.
4. Performance inside of BI is bad, and it is a high load on the machine. But inside of the app, and remote view- it is flawless.

Overall, BI would be more secure, faster, easier to manage. It also puts less load on the network, since its 4 streams into one device, they web distribution... instead of 4 streams into 4 devices.

Can anyone argue these points?

Imburr

n3wb
Reaction score
get a NVR. only 200$/
A NVR is for local recording mainly, which I do not need at all. So basically I would be spending $200 to do what BlueIris does, plus added features I dont need. Also, would connecting my 4 different make model cams to one NVR prove difficult? Not bashing your suggestion, just trying to weigh it merit considering my need.

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In fact you are right, Blue Iris is a better fit for your needs than an NVR+tinycam.
So I have been hacking away at this... and a lot of people are recommending TinyCam Monitor. Here are my notes:

1. TinyCam has to be setup per phone, manually. This means I have to add my 4 cameras to my phone, then my wifes phone, then the ipad, then the other android device. Changes need to be made across all.
2. TinyCam viewing from outside of network, requires lots of rules to be setup. Thats NAT and firewall rules for all 4 cameras.
3. TinyCam remote access means the cameras themselves are open to the internet, which is a huge vulnerability as we all know.

1. You setup all cameras on the server, and then you just connect app to server. This means changes made to cameras are done in one place as well.
2. Viewing outside of network requires one rule to allow access. This also allows for closer monitoring for security purposes.
3. Cameras are fully on the LAN, with only one link to the camera server. This also lets you protect the camera server with a software based firewall for added security.
4. Performance inside of BI is bad, and it is a high load on the machine. But inside of the app, and remote view- it is flawless.

Overall, BI would be more secure, faster, easier to manage. It also puts less load on the network, since its 4 streams into one device, they web distribution... instead of 4 streams into 4 devices.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Tiny cam can export and import settings, no need set each device from scratch.

Tinycam:
1-Not so, You can export the settings on one phone, then import them on another device.
2-You should be using a VPN, never forward ports. VPN Primer for Noobs
3-See #2
4-I have TinycamPro on two $50 Kindle Fire tablets, and they both work just fine with tinycam and 9 cameras.

Blue Iris:
1-yes
2-Still should be using a VPN, no port forwarding.
4-This isn't true if you have the correct PC for the job. Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nvr costs $200, Blue iris license + a descent spec machine to run in will cost a lot more?

So nvr is much cheaper

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nvr costs $200, Blue iris license + a descent spec machine to run in will cost a lot more?
Refurb PC = less than $200, BI license = $60, total = $260 but it will blow the socks off any NVR in all aspects.
So nvr is much cheaper
Maybe by $50-60. I've spent more than that on dinner for 4.

Just my 2 cents (I'm an avid Blue Iris fan).:D

Imburr

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I already have the BI license and PC, so no out of pocket for that option. I tried to plug in an Android box and run the BI app on it... and its miserable. Seems the only way to show BI is through the web page.

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Refurb PC = less than $200, BI license = $60, total = $260 but it will blow the socks off any NVR in all aspects.

Maybe by $50-60. I've spent more than that on dinner for 4.

Just my 2 cents (I'm an avid Blue Iris fan).:D
Not sure about US, so it may be cheaper there but In the UK its the complete opposite. A BI machine will cost considerably more. When i was looking last year a BI machine - (basic refurb i5 - minimum £400) + poe switch (£80) + bi licence (£60) + maintenance - an NVR was considerably a cheaper option (£175 compared to at minimum £490+ and plug & play)

So for me, BI was not going to be 3 times better than an nvr for the basic usage i was looking at - (setup and forget). If I do find a cheaper machine in the future i would give it a go but for me, the cost difference is not justifiable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about US, so it may be cheaper there but In the UK its the complete opposite. A BI machine will cost considerably more. When i was looking last year a BI machine - (basic refurb i5 - minimum £400) + poe switch (£80) + bi licence (£60) + maintenance - an NVR was considerably a cheaper option (£175 compared to at minimum £490+ and plug & play)

So for me, BI was not going to be 3 times better than an nvr for the basic usage i was looking at - (setup and forget). If I do find a cheaper machine in the future i would give it a go but for me, the cost difference is not justifiable.
The OP is not in the UK.
yes, its more expensive in UK due to your insane taxes...however you are missing a few critical points.
Since the machine is being used for live view and not motion detection, the limit decoding option can be used. So even a cheap 50 dollar pc will be more than enough for the OP. He also already has blue iris so a second license is 30 dollars.
THERE IS NO EXTRA MAINTENANCE REQUIRED FOR BLUE IRIS OVER A TRADITIONAL NVR. I cannot stress this enough. This is false.
Lots of i5 6500 machines on ebay uk for 189+shipping and under 300 including shipping. Go older and save even more.
You are correct, blue iris is NOT 3x better than an NVR. Its about 10x better. You have obviously not used blue iris and therefore concluded that its "not justifiable"...perhaps you will find that your NVR is not such a bargain when you start having issues and realize the manufacture has deemed it obsolete and no longer provides updates to you.