Best methods for post "event" analysis

Best post event analysis program?

• Export and review

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Now that we've put up a few (more than 5) BI sites ... we've seen that even with some powerfull single processor boxes put tougher (8 threads cpu, >2GB rotataing special drives made for dvr's, 16GB memory) ... we still have trouble analyzing post event using the boxes themselves. Looking for others who have done a bit of post-event analysis for contributing tips.

1. Like shut off all web browser and active camera detections ...
2. Export the event timeline to separate mpg4 file?
3. Aftermarket video app review better?
4. Easy way to cut existing files to smaller segments for faster review once timeline narrowed down?

thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that we've put up a few (more than 5) BI sites ... we've seen that even with some powerfull single processor boxes put tougher (8 threads cpu, >2GB rotataing special drives made for dvr's, 16GB memory) ... we still have trouble analyzing post event using the boxes themselves. Looking for others who have done a bit of post-event analysis for contributing tips.

1. Like shut off all web browser and active camera detections ...
2. Export the event timeline to separate mpg4 file?
3. Aftermarket video app review better?
4. Easy way to cut existing files to smaller segments for faster review once timeline narrowed down?

thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Why are you having trouble reviewing the video on the box itself? You are likely overloading machine and or using improper processors...

Reaction score
That's a decent question ... and would have thought not as we are pretty knowledgeable in the hardware area. These are single boxes with newer i7 quad processors, gobs of memory and fast specialized drives ... CPU utilization is around 45% and ram utilization around 50% ... around 6 MP3 (Hikvision dome's of varying size). Yet we are seeing a lot of lag and not able to effectively sort through the footage. Now our past experience was with massive datacenter servers running 2 quad's, memory, large raid set's ... and solid performance on all aspects but those are not affordable for a more general client.

Note we are not writing direct to disk ... using BI overlays ... and standard BVR recording. We've also noted that with less than 4 cameras the performance seems better ... but under normal use these systems are not showing being over-taxed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a decent question ... and would have thought not as we are pretty knowledgeable in the hardware area. These are single boxes with newer i7 quad processors, gobs of memory and fast specialized drives ... CPU utilization is around 45% and ram utilization around 50% ... around 6 MP3 (Hikvision dome's of varying size). Yet we are seeing a lot of lag and not able to effectively sort through the footage. Now our past experience was with massive datacenter servers running 2 quad's, memory, large raid set's ... and solid performance on all aspects but those are not affordable for a more general client.

Note we are not writing direct to disk ... using BI overlays ... and standard BVR recording. We've also noted that with less than 4 cameras the performance seems better ... but under normal use these systems are not showing being over-taxed.
Use an SSD for the operating system Blue Iris and the database ... Why are you not writing direct to disc?

Gymratz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just to compare, @THEGreenBoxInc , I'm running a 4th generation Intel Core i3 processor (i3-4170).
My CPU sits around 40-50% when I have the application window open, or around 30-35% when I use the web/mobile interface for viewing.
(Just checked, 38% right now with interface open).

Per the BI Status, this is 372 MP/s, about 8300 kB/s.
(6x 2.1MP @ 10fps, 1x2.1MP @ 8fps, 1x2.1MP @ 15fps, 6x4.1MP @ 8fps).

Following the suggestions on this forum about not exceeding FPS required for the location, using direct to disk, removing overlays, etc., has really helped me tune a pretty low-end PC into something that works great for this project.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
1) Closing connected web interfaces certainly does help (* if you are taxing the CPU hard). Not sure what you mean about shutting off "active camera detections".
2) This would be a lot more trouble.
3) There is none, at least none designed to work with Blue Iris recordings in their native bvr format.
4) Nope, either you have them get cut during recording or live with them at their current size.

Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something is wrong as the others have pointed out, I have zero issues quickly zipping through clips to find events.
Even using @bp2008's updated web viewer, I have no problems scrubbing the video.

You say "specialized drives". What drives does that mean? If they are not the WD purples, that could be your issue.
You are speaking generalizations, specifics about hardware will glean more help.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The OP was never specific about what trouble he was having with clip review.

Perhaps the only problem is that hardware accelerated clip playback is on by default (configured per camera > Properties > Video > uncheck Also BVR). The hardware accelerated decoder takes a moment to get started which makes it suck badly for a second or two when you open a clip or seek inside it.