best night time dash cam performance

seaton

n3wb
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of good dash cams, I have not seen any that perform very well at night. Any one know of any good starlight setups, or anything good in the dark ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @Arjun I was just starting to research these and that camera seems to be held in high regard. Appreciate the tip ;)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
As a tip, if you plan to use this during hot summer months, instead of powering the camera through the GPS mount, connect the microUSB directly to the camera instead. There are two microUSB ports (when you purchase the GPS model), the GPS mount comes with a microUSB port built; the camera itself has a microUSB port as well. Its easier for many to power the camera through the GPS mount because of accessibility and 90 degree angle, but I've found that connecting to the GPS mount, the camera resets even when the cabin is cool (seems like a heat exposure issue). The solution is to connect directly to the camera itself.
Thanks @Arjun I was just starting to research these and that camera seems to be held in high regard. Appreciate the tip ;)

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As a tip, if you plan to use this during hot summer months, instead of powering the camera through the GPS mount, connect the microUSB directly to the camera instead. There are two microUSB ports (when you purchase the GPS model), the GPS mount comes with a microUSB port built; the camera itself has a microUSB port as well. Its easier for many to power the camera through the GPS mount because of accessibility and 90 degree angle, but I've found that connecting to the GPS mount, the camera resets even when the cabin is cool (seems like a heat exposure issue). The solution is to connect directly to the camera itself.
The A129 looks intersting! Dual channel starlight! Think I may get that one and give this one to my girl. So in parking mode when the 12V power cuts what happens? It will still record on motion using the superconductors? I just got it and am playing around with it. Seems it turns off when I disconnect the power but maybe they have to charge?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The A129 is a new model, much of will have to be conserved for that one until reviews start trickling in :D
However, interestingly has WiFi built in as well.
https://www.amazon.com/VIOFO-2-Channel-1080p-Camera-Logger/dp/B07CT6JPYW

If you buy it, please do definitely post a review here :)

The A129 looks intersting! Dual channel starlight! Think I may get that one and give this one to my girl. So in parking mode when the 12V power cuts what happens? It will still record on motion using the superconductors? I just got it and am playing around with it. Seems it turns off when I disconnect the power but maybe they have to charge?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The A129 is a new model, much of will have to be conserved for that one until reviews start trickling in :D
However, interestingly has WiFi built in as well.
https://www.amazon.com/VIOFO-2-Channel-1080p-Camera-Logger/dp/B07CT6JPYW

If you buy it, please do definitely post a review here :)
I'll be sure to post a review on it when I get it. I'm not sure when exactly I'm going to buy it but I don't imagine it will be long as I want a dash cam in me and my fiance's car.

Installed the A119S V2 today. Glare seems pretty narly so I just placed and order for this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0KVD4C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3T1A62M2RL2DJ&psc=1.

Here's the dashcam on it's maiden voyage. Installed it during work. Also ordered a hardwire kit that I will install next week.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely need the CPL lens in any kind of environment. The Earth tilts between seasons, lol, therefore the sun's rays and intensity varies all throughout the year.

I'll be sure to post a review on it when I get it. I'm not sure when exactly I'm going to buy it but I don't imagine it will be long as I want a dash cam in me and my fiance's car.

Installed the A119S V2 today. Glare seems pretty narly so I just placed and order for this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0KVD4C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3T1A62M2RL2DJ&psc=1.

Here's the dashcam on it's maiden voyage. Installed it during work. Also ordered a hardwire kit that I will install next week.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Here is my A119s footage first a quick daytime one shows some idiot overtake then undertake the second a night time one both with CPL filter

PS : yes my lights are bright as they are adaptive LED latest BMW technology.

Nice video, how much for this dash cam?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry. @looney2ns no help here, still havent got around to fiddling with it. Every time I go to buy one I seem to have spent my lunch money on a new gun or more ammo ;)

It is my 2019 goal however