best night time dash cam performance

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
IMX291 is the best for night time.

Not a great fan of Viofo myself. Nice cameras but I've found endurance to be poor.

There are a few cams that use IMX291. Best to look around at reviews.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Philip Gonzales @bigredfish
So what's the verdict with these mentioned cams?
I haven't played with my A119S V2 much after setting it up. I planned on installing a different model on my wife's car and comparing but she did not want me to install one on her car. So there was the end of that. Lol.

I did buy my brother a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE for Christmas from Andy. Other than that all my money is also going to one of my new hobbies.

Here are some pics below, hopefully I am pardoned as well @looney2ns.

No fish yet, waiting for them to cycle first.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good choice and I think you will be happy with this,you will also have very good support. If you have DAB radio the rear Cam will probably wipe that out so be careful on cable routing.
That wasone of the deciding factors, the excellent support I see over on dashcamtalk.com from them. ;)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I saw DDPAI has this Mix3 which claims to have "exceptional night vision" (not actual night vision, just bright image) and uses Sony IMX307 Starvis, WDS, H.265.

I have their older M6+ which has held up great for a few years now fine and has decent night vision. I can get plate readings of cars in front of me, maybe up to 10-15 ft or so. I liked that it was a magnetic mount\connection so I can pop it in my pocket easily when I leave the car and not have it dangling there like eye candy for a thief.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I followed the web address Looney mentioned above and found a review on that dashcam forum with samples. Looking at the daytime samples, they're no better than any other 1080P dashcam in my opinion. Not surprising since the limiting factor is the resolution plus bit rate. 11mbs at H265 is only around 24mbs at H264 from memory. Hardly groundbreaking bit rates. Also, for daytime, several manufacturers have either 1440P or 4K resolution cameras available. There are also cameras with higher bit rates using H264. As for night, the videos look quite good from the mix, if a little noisy in some places. However, the night performance alone would not persuade me to take this over a superior daytime camera as 90%+ of my driving is done in the day.

The built in memory on the Mix would be a worry as any wear or other issue in the memory and it's a new camera not solely a new SD card.

Think it probably has it's uses for those who drive mainly at night eg overnight couriers / delivery drivers etc, but the real breakthrough is going to come from a low light 4K camera with STARVIS or similar sensitivity as then you'd get both the daytime resolution and low light performance. Just my 2 cents.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s strange how some of the dashcam manufacturers are moving to making a bigger cam whereas me personally I’d rather have the smallest on the windscreen to make it less obvious that you have a cam. Ideally I’d like a cam that simply blends in, the mix3 for example to me would be more visible than their previous 6 model ?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The Mobius Maxi is the smallest you're going to get.

One reason for going to larger cams in the long run is bigger sensors tend to deliver better image quality.

Marc O.

n3wb
Reaction score
For good night vision you definitely want to have Streetguardian SG9665GC or one of its brothers/sisters. They're just awesome.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ljw2k do you still have the uncompressed video?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thought I'd add to this thread as there's a new player in town causing a bit of a stir (might even see it in CCTV cameras as well), the IMX335 Starvis has hit the streets, initially in the Viofo A119 V3:

Viofo A119 V3 1600p Dash Cam Review

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do look into Thinkware too. I have Q800 Pro

Front Sony Exmor R CMOS 5.14M IMX 335 (2560 x 1440p)
Rear Sony Exmor R CMOS 2.13M IMX291 (1920 x 1080p)

It has the same IMX 335 front sensor.

Thinkware costs more but imho it looks more sleek and the parking modes are simply the best.

Thinkware also has the new 4K one which may have larger sensor. I'd look into that too. If I recall it can read plates even better and performs just as well at night. Personally I find my q800 more than adequate for dashcam use. It also warns about speed traps / red light cams etc which is handy.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The price prevents me from purchasing that model; I'd rather put that into a Uniden R1 radar detector, but they're illegal in Canada from what is seems. My trip up to Montreal and Quebec City was challenging without the radar detector :rofl:

Do look into Thinkware too. I have Q800 Pro

Front Sony Exmor R CMOS 5.14M IMX 335 (2560 x 1440p)
Rear Sony Exmor R CMOS 2.13M IMX291 (1920 x 1080p)

It has the same IMX 335 front sensor.

Thinkware costs more but imho it looks more sleek and the parking modes are simply the best.

Thinkware also has the new 4K one which may have larger sensor. I'd look into that too. If I recall it can read plates even better and performs just as well at night. Personally I find my q800 more than adequate for dashcam use. It also warns about speed traps / red light cams etc which is handy.