Best NVR for Me

Ch0lmes100

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, The forums are a great way to get info and do research so here I go. I would like to install a cam system on my property as I am away every week for a few days. I think I have narrowed it down to a Hikvision brand as opposed to a consumer product. I was considering Lorex but there seems to be a lot of bad reviews surrounding customer service and these tend to be sold in all the big box stores so experience says....... . Anyway, there are so many models with a string of numbers it is hard to tell which is which. My needs are NVR POe cams, maximum 6-8 but to start 1 good one. I really need a simple reliable system with 5 days recording and the possibility to mix wired and wireless cams if that is possible. One more must have is email,text or some other type of alert with the ability to view what the cam is viewing. If any of you guys that are really into this stuff could recommend a manufacturer, model of NVR and cam it will save me a bunch of unnecessary hours of surfing. I am very technical in electronics and can install anything but the home security is not something I have ever been involved in.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, The forums are a great way to get info and do research so here I go. I would like to install a cam system on my property as I am away every week for a few days. I think I have narrowed it down to a Hikvision brand as opposed to a consumer product. I was considering Lorex but there seems to be a lot of bad reviews surrounding customer service and these tend to be sold in all the big box stores so experience says....... . Anyway, there are so many models with a string of numbers it is hard to tell which is which. My needs are NVR POe cams, maximum 6-8 but to start 1 good one. I really need a simple reliable system with 5 days recording and the possibility to mix wired and wireless cams if that is possible. One more must have is email,text or some other type of alert with the ability to view what the cam is viewing. If any of you guys that are really into this stuff could recommend a manufacturer, model of NVR and cam it will save me a bunch of unnecessary hours of surfing. I am very technical in electronics and can install anything but the home security is not something I have ever been involved in.
Stay away from Wifi for security cams.

Read here:
Looking for some advice and direction!
and
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Ch0lmes100

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, I can run cat5 underground to my shop, not a big deal I guess. I am like you, I simply think wireless is too finicky and there is so much to go wrong. I like the idea of POE for the cams, reliable and relatively easy to do. My internet comes in the basement so I can put an Ethernet switch and go from there. Also secure and easy to get outside under a deck. So, can someone recommend a couple NVR's for me to look at? 6-8 cams should be plenty. Also a good reliable 2k cam.

Last edited:

Ch0lmes100

n3wb
Reaction score
The way I understood it, the NVR would power the PoE cams, is that how it works? Also, been looking at the Dahua stuff, seems comparable to Hikvision. Is one any better than the other as far as ease of use or reliability is concerned?

SeanO

n3wb
Reaction score
The way I understood it, the NVR would power the PoE cams, is that how it works? Also, been looking at the Dahua stuff, seems comparable to Hikvision. Is one any better than the other as far as ease of use or reliability is concerned?
Depends on if your NVR has x number of PoE ports built-in.

SeanO

n3wb
Reaction score
Back to your original choice of NVR...

Might I suggest you roll your own NVR by purchasing a relatively inexpensive PC (there are more threads than I can count on that topic) and installing Blue Iris? You can get a decent refurb or overstock PC with a modern intel i5 or i7 that would do the job for less than $500.

In my experience, some of these NVR vendors are not very responsive to the market and don't update their software as often as I would like.

SeanO

n3wb
Reaction score
Every computer I've used has had a BIOS setting for the power-loss reaction and can be set to power back up after power loss.

BI4 can be viewed remotely, and quite nicely at that.