Best Poe router for 8 items?

fundean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Suggestions for a router to hook up my cameras to... needs to be Poe and I would like to plug the system in also to maximize speed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Amazon.com: Eagle Eye 9 Port 10/100 Switch (8 Port POE + 1 Uplink) SW09i: Computers & Accessories

It is a PoE switch, not a router. I get the impression this is what you actually want and you just got the terminology mixed up. That item will power 8 PoE cameras and it has one uplink port for you to connect the PoE switch to the rest of your network.

Alternative switch, more popular brand:
Amazon.com: BV-TECH 8 Port 120W 10/100Mbps Power over Ethernet Switch - Designed for IP Camera Use(Gray): Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fundean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks! You are right.. that is exactly what I meant... and have you used this model?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My favorite POE switch is the Ubiquiti Tough Switch. Ubiquiti Networks - TOUGHSwitch™ It provides 24vdc or 48vdc to each port. Plus you can log into the switch and cycle power to each port. It also has alarm per port functions. I use Ubiquiti for RF linking cameras and the Ubiquity equipment runs on 24vdc so this switch works out perfectly for me.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ubiquiti Toughswitch is okay if you want a managed switch. But otherwise it has a lot of downsides.
* costs twice as much
* 9th port is a management port, not recommended for use as an uplink port because it may have trouble keeping up with the load. Basically this means you should use one of the other 8 ports as the uplink and then you can only power 7 other things.
* not 802.3af compliant (so it is unsafe to connect devices until you set the correct power setting for each port beforehand).

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two of the bvtech 8+1 ports (only for a few weeks now) and what can I say, .... they have no fans, are quiet and they work.

BlackLantern

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How much bandwidth do typical 2mp and 4mp cameras consume? Will a 10/100 switch provide enough bandwidth?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How much bandwidth do typical 2mp and 4mp cameras consume? Will a 10/100 switch provide enough bandwidth?
depends on how many cams..no one cam will come close to saturating 10/100 so if there is gigabit uplink thats fine...full gigabit is not much more expensive...managed adds a bit more but worth it and you will get a better brand than bvtech..

BlackLantern

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh definitely. But I was more asking in respect to OP's question. One of the posters recommended a 10/100 switch for 8 items. I'd be concerned that won't be enough bandwidth. Though, that would mean that each item would have to use 12mbps, which i don't think would ever happen...