ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Googling "anti-dither" and "latch" in security camera terms can be a bit confusing... seems the explanation and definition of these terms varies and not all that clear.

Dahua's default settings for Motion Detect is anti-dither set at 5 seconds and latch set at 10 seconds as well as delay at 10 seconds.

To those who have figured out how these settings actually work, what would the best setup be should I wish to record a certain channel only on Motion Detect / MD? (i.e. not continuous record).

Let us says two simultaneous events take place; a car drives past at night with its lights and someone is walking past. The camera will detect the car's lights as the first motion event, the car will also pass by faster than the person walking past, but the camera still needs to record the person once the car has left the scene.

Any recommendations on the best setup?

And can anyone explain exactly how these two settings, "anti-dither" and "latch" actually work on a Dahua system?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive played with it on and off for years and cant say Ive ever got it right.

DahauWiki says:
Anti-Dither -System only memorizes one event during the anti-dither period. The value ranges from 0s to 100s.

and another:
Anti-dither: Here you can set anti-dither time. The value ranges from 5 to 600s. The anti-dither time refers to the alarm signal lasts time. It can be seem as the alarm signal activation stays such as the buzzer, tour, PTZ activation, snapshot, channel record. The stay time here does not include the latch time. During the alarm process, the alarm signal can begin an anti-dither time if system detects the local alarm again. The screen prompt, alarm upload, email and etc will not be activated. For example, if you set the anti-dither time as 10 second, you can see the each activation may last 10s if the local alarm is activated. During the process, if system detects another local alarm signal at the fifth second, the buzzer, tour, PTZ activation, snapshot, record channel will begin another 10s while the screen prompt, alarm upload, email will not be activated again. After 10s, if system detects another alarm signal, it can generate an alarm since the anti-dither time is out. Anti-dither: Here you can set anti-dither time. The value ranges from 5 to 600s. The anti-dither time refers to the alarm signal lasts time. It can be seem as the alarm signal activation stays such as the buzzer, tour, PTZ activation, snapshot, channel record. The stay time here does not include the latch time. During the alarm process, the alarm signal can begin an anti-dither time if system detects the local alarm again. The screen prompt, alarm upload, email and etc will not be activated. For example, if you set the anti-dither time as 10 second, you can see the each activation may last 10s if the local alarm is activated. During the process, if system detects another local alarm signal at the fifth second, the buzzer, tour, PTZ activation, snapshot, record channel will begin another 10s while the screen prompt, alarm upload, email will not be activated again. After 10s, if system detects another alarm signal, it can generate an alarm since the anti-dither time is out.

Latch: when motion detection complete, system auto delays detecting for a specified time. The value ranges from 1-300(Unit: second)

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure on this but this is from memory : For playbacks, when motion detection is enabled for 24 hours/non stop recording, it makes finding things faster. For instance, at night if someone were to break your window and you wanted to look through the footage to see what happened and who vandalise your property, you can easily do so since the playback with have various sections of where/when motion detection was captured. This makes searching much easier. Whereas if you don't enable motion detection, finding things through playback will be much harder/longer.

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have IVS Tripwire and Intrusion available on your Dahua camera ? If so I would use those. I find I get far fewer false alarms ( especially from bugs at night) using these. I don't use motion control for alerts.

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ive played with it on and off for years and cant say Ive ever got it right.

DahauWiki says:
Anti-Dither -System only memorizes one event during the anti-dither period. The value ranges from 0s to 100s.

and another:
Anti-dither: Here you can set anti-dither time. The value ranges from 5 to 600s. The anti-dither time refers to the alarm signal lasts time. It can be seem as the alarm signal activation stays such as the buzzer, tour, PTZ activation, snapshot, channel record. The stay time here does not include the latch time. During the alarm process, the alarm signal can begin an anti-dither time if system detects the local alarm again. The screen prompt, alarm upload, email and etc will not be activated. For example, if you set the anti-dither time as 10 second, you can see the each activation may last 10s if the local alarm is activated. During the process, if system detects another local alarm signal at the fifth second, the buzzer, tour, PTZ activation, snapshot, record channel will begin another 10s while the screen prompt, alarm upload, email will not be activated again. After 10s, if system detects another alarm signal, it can generate an alarm since the anti-dither time is out. Anti-dither: Here you can set anti-dither time. The value ranges from 5 to 600s. The anti-dither time refers to the alarm signal lasts time. It can be seem as the alarm signal activation stays such as the buzzer, tour, PTZ activation, snapshot, channel record. The stay time here does not include the latch time. During the alarm process, the alarm signal can begin an anti-dither time if system detects the local alarm again. The screen prompt, alarm upload, email and etc will not be activated. For example, if you set the anti-dither time as 10 second, you can see the each activation may last 10s if the local alarm is activated. During the process, if system detects another local alarm signal at the fifth second, the buzzer, tour, PTZ activation, snapshot, record channel will begin another 10s while the screen prompt, alarm upload, email will not be activated again. After 10s, if system detects another alarm signal, it can generate an alarm since the anti-dither time is out.

Latch: when motion detection complete, system auto delays detecting for a specified time. The value ranges from 1-300(Unit: second)
Been playing around with it too, can't figure it out exactly. Doesn't really seem to do what the Dahua definition states, I read theirs up on the Wiki too and then found other descriptions from other manufacturers which differed.

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have IVS Tripwire and Intrusion available on your Dahua camera ? If so I would use those. I find I get far fewer false alarms ( especially from bugs at night) using these. I don't use motion control for alerts.
I do. Thing is this is for a PTZ. So to record on tripwire will be a bit difficult as the area is large and the scenes can change.

All the other cams I record 24/7 both on regular and motion and have IVS setup in some cases. But for this cam I want to just record on motion, not too concerned on bugs causing false alarms, but I am concerned about missing recording something, as this could happen if your delay/latch or whatever it is called isn't setup correctly and the camera's pause is too long between motion triggering events. (this could happen if you have a person and moving car in the same scene, the cam may only recognise the first motion triggering event).

One way to ensure I capture everything is to set it up like the other cams and have it record on regular and motion. i.e; continuous/24 7/everything. But if I can setup motion detect record correctly I shouldn't have to do that and just record only all moving activity without missing anything.

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi, could someone provide an example of this when multiple cameras are set on record only during motion, any best settings for this ?