Best software to view from

FL_Gator

n3wb
Reaction score
I have bought 5 cameras and a NVR from Andy here and have 4 up so far, 3 5442s with verifocal and a 180 Dahua.

I am running DMSS and have some issues with it.

1. Lags
2. Difficult and takes a bit to zoom in and out
3. Notifications lag
4. Huge issue with trying to find previous footage, such a big PITA!!

Looking for an Android app that is better at all those things.

I can't do Blue Iris as it would be very difficult for my wife to troubleshoot if needed and I am not around.

She liked, of course, the ease and use of thise nasty unsecured Ring and Arlos but she didn't like having 3 apps either, Ring, Arlo (which by the way are the most horrible cameras out as the lag is crazy long), and Nest as our DB is Nest.

Any ideas or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris would be easier for you to troubleshoot than an NVR remotely.... Just log into TeamViewer on the machine...

You need to be more specific about the issues you're having with the NVR... What do you mean by lag...
How are you receiving your notifications
How is the network set up

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The dilemma many face LOL. Get better cameras that can actually do their job, but are a little too technical for the wife, or a consumer grade system like Ring or Arlo that invest in their apps to make them wife-friendly, but suffer with non-usable video of a perp at night.

SmartPSS is much better than DMSS.

I assure you that you can set BI up to maintenance free. Turn off auto updates of BI and Windows and it will strum along just fine.

And some here will keep a Ring or two or some other consumer grade easy to use app for the wife LOL.

FL_Gator

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris would be easier for you to troubleshoot than an NVR remotely.... Just log into TeamViewer on the machine...

You need to be more specific about the issues you're having with the NVR... What do you mean by lag...
How are you receiving your notifications
How is the network set up
The way I have it setup is that my NVR is connected to the internet, my cameras are connected to the NVR. I don't even remember how DMSS was set up. I think I scanned the NVR qr code and then added the cameras.

FL_Gator

n3wb
Reaction score
The dilemma many face LOL. Get better cameras that can actually do their job, but are a little too technical for the wife, or a consumer grade system like Ring or Arlo that invest in their apps to make them wife-friendly, but suffer with non-usable video of a perp at night.

I assure you that you can set BI up to maintenance free. Turn off auto updates of BI and Windows and it will strum along just fine.

And some here will keep a Ring or two or some other consumer grade easy to use app for the wife LOL.
I cannot find SmartPSS in the google play store. Would you have a link?

FL_Gator

n3wb
Reaction score

Smart PSS is not an Android app. So how would I use Smart PSS instead of DMSS on our Androids?

And please dorgive my ignorance as this is still really new ro me.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Smart PSS is not an Android app. So how would I use Smart PSS instead of DMSS on our Androids?

And please dorgive my ignorance as this is still really new ro me.
You wouldnt.
SmartPSS is a desktop software for Windows PCs or Apple Mac machines

DMSS is a phone app for IOs or Android

They're frequently confused by many. I even see places to download 'DMSS for WIndows"... but when you do, you are actually downloading SmartPSS

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I dont think there is a perfect security camera app for phones. Frankly mostly because 1) small real estate of screen and 2) far too many menus and choices to cram in and 3) a phone just isnt the right tool to completely manage a surveillance camera system. Its great for viewing and alerts and maybe a few other features.

Proprietary apps for like RING are much easier, They greatly restrict what you can do and they are single purpose. They are made to be stupid proof at a cost, but the average person doesnt know what they dont know!

DMSS works pretty good for me.
Lag is not likely due to the app, but your network or connection method.
Reviewing footage isnt difficult if you know what you're looking for AND have properly setup triggers using IVS AND a good connection

The only complaint I have about DMSS is in the newer versions, they have made scrolling the timeline more difficult and it goes away in landscape/fulll screen mode unlike previous versions.

FL_Gator

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks BRF. I guess I was just hoping there was an easier and better viewing app.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you talking about remote viewing? Away from your home network? If local, at home, a phone app is a lousy choice no matter what.

At home do you have a PC or Mac or iPad? If not, spend $200 and get one.
Then SmartPSS is a very good solution

Those whose sole means of viewing cameras, or for that matter doing anything online, not to mention any REAL software, (MS office, etc) is a phone, you’re simply asking for developers to keep producing buggy feature poor, single purpose apps that give you a false sense that you actually can do anything. The whole idea behind phone apps is to make them as dumb and lacking in options as possible.

Last edited: