Better camera suggestion

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can force any camera into color.

Cameras that are of a certain model series, say the 5442 - the full color version has white LED instead of infrared.

So if you aren't using the built in white light, forcing the camera that sees infrared into color will look the same as the full color camera.

So most will op for the version with infrared capabilities in the event they don't have enough visible light because the full color cameras cannot see infrared so you can't add it later.

Yep no reasonably priced varifocal on the 1/1.2" sensor.

Reaction score
How does the exposure settings look for this pic? And what kinda floodlight are you running with it?
No flood lights. Just carriage lights on the garage. See photo below that was taken with an iPhone, so the exposure is bright.

IMG_4173.JPG

There is also a streetlight close to the driveway. See this photo.
Driveway Window 2024-01-18 01.21.12.488 AM.jpg

Here are the night settings. Realize that these work for my FOV, and may not be optimum for any other FOV.

Settings night Driveway Right.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Ideally I would like to identify people entering/walking down my driveway (and possibly my neighbours driveway - over the fence)

I'm happy to keep the existing camera as a crude overview camera (it has detection alerting setup).

The distance from the end of the drive to the camera on the wall is about 30 feet or so. Looking at EmpireTech specs, the 2.8mm is slightly out of range for identify, the 3.6mm would be better. Or am I misunderstanding the DORI information?

I am a newbie, I'm here to learn and take advise where I can :thumb:
Hi @JayUK

remember, the DORI numbers are calculated based on a straight on facial image capture from the camera to the face distance.

We like to use 100 ppf for the calculation to allow for more error, face slightly off straight on image capture, et al .. ( see the DORI section of the cliff notes )

If you want to use the camera to ID someone, you will want to reduce the height of the camera lower unless you can convince suspects to look straight at the camera ( some stores do this with flashy lights by the camera next to the exit so that people will look up at the camera )

In your case I would plan for at least 2 cameras, one in the position you have already for over watch .. and then one lower about 6-8 feet high and no more than 90 degree FOV ( about a 3.6mm lens ) ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DORI is a nice tool in the tool box, but these are under ideal situations and real world experiences of DORI is that those numbers are established by the manufacturer and are based on best case scenarios.

Real world you should cut them in half during daytime and cut that half in half or more at night time.

Our long time resident camera expert Wildcat ran the Dahua 4K/X 8MP 1/1.2" sensor thru the paces. Keep in mind this 4K/X camera is incredible.

He had the 3.6mm version and here is the screenshot from 40 feet in the ideal daylight and standing still, which based on DORI numbers is the supposed IDENTIFY distance for this camera with the 3.6mm lens and I think most of would agree that this is not IDENTIFY quality, even if digitally zoomed in:

1663106750107.png

I have the 4K/X and 4K/T and they are incredible cameras, but I wouldn't use it for IDENTIFY past 15-20 feet, or half of what the DORI number is.

Reaction score
With the Z12E camera, how visible is the IR lamp at night?
While this is not a real pic at night, this shows the locations of the four IR LEDs and their relative size.

IR locations.JPG

While they do not project visible red light onto the surrounding area, they are visible on the cam front much like this pic. They are kind of a red glow but not distractingly bright. I can see it from the street but if you were driving along and did not look for it, I doubt that you will see it.

Trying to get a photo of it is impossible since digital cams see the light as purple.

JayUK

n3wb
Reaction score
A covert install there. Mine will be bolted to the end of a building and might/will stand out a bit :(

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If 8 feet is recommend for identifying would say 12 feet be ok for a 4K/T for an overview pic? Like attached photo or would you guys use 2 cameras for such an area? This is easily covered by my 2.8mm though the trampoline area is quite far away but I have an identifier in that area at 8 feet

Attachments

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If 8 feet is recommend for identifying would say 12 feet be ok for a 4K/T for an overview pic? Like attached photo or would you guys use 2 cameras for such an area? This is easily covered by my 2.8mm though the trampoline area is quite far away but I have an identifier in that area at 8 feet
My 4K-X driveway overview is about 11'.

Check out my thread with different captures with notes on heights and FOVs.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Overview can be as high or low as needed. I have one at about 40' and others at 11'.

Those both look good, but I would check the first one at night and see how it looks.

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In Wildcats video of the 4K he is I belive running some 1/60 exposures. Would it be fine u recon for getting the "brighter" overview pic? Remember for me this is not for identifying I have others at that location for that
Or would you keep the 4K/T/X at 1/120 minimum?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If this is supplemental and for overview with additional details then you can sacrifice some quality/blur for a brighter picture. I would play with it and see what's acceptable.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah if it is truly overview and you know/accept that you will not get IDENTIFY, then the slower shutter will allow you to see further out.

One of my overviews is on auto so that I can see way down the street. On the 2nd floor it won't IDENTIFY even on my property, so I wanted one that I could open if I hear a noise and see as far as I can.

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am only considering these 4Ks as overviews for the sake of color and early detection. As said Identify happens with t54IR-ze-s3's placed at 8 feet at all the entry points around the house

Can I ask what your exposure settings etc. are for the picture of the neighbour with the mask on :) ( Your updated review of a camera )
Yes every FOV is different, but I have a position that is very close to that - Looks crisp

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am only considering these 4Ks as overviews for the sake of color and early detection. As said Identify happens with t54IR-ze-s3's placed at 8 feet at all the entry points around the house

Can I ask what your exposure settings etc. are for the picture of the neighbour with the mask on :) ( Your updated review of a camera )
Yes every FOV is different, but I have a position that is very close to that - Looks crisp
The color image was 1/120 and the B/W was 1/250