Better facial capture quality

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We recently had a package theft in front of our house. The thief walked right in front of the camera, but the recorded footage is useless (see pics).

stolen_package1.pngstolen_package2.pngstolen_package3.png

I’m looking for a replacement camera that would provide a very high quality image day or night. The current camera is an ADT turret CTRT7212W (they recently installed it with the alarm).

I’d really appreciate any recommendations to help catch this guy. I don't mind spending to get results.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you get an ethernet cable out there? looks like he had a mask, it is hard to tell but if he did it'd of made no difference..

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i dont see a mask lol.damn coward thief! that guy probably lives around that area too.1st pic looks clean shaven.3rd pic looks like he has a goatee.

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think there's a conduit so I can probably swap the coax for Ethernet.

I don't think it's a mask. The guy just has a giant nose. The other camera shows him stopping at each house on the block looking for stuff to steal. Unfortunately, it wasn't able to get a license plate.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
at what time does he go around stealing? he needs to be behind bars.:D

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want a comparable one w/features (Varifocal) but better quality there is: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DAHUA-4MP-WDR-IR-Eyeball-Network-Camera-H265-IPC-HDW5431R-Z-Free-DHL-shipping/32748192599.html

If you want even better low light these should do pretty well:

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cAV4ezMc

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-6MP-IR-Dome-Network-Camera-NO-LOGO-4-1mm-16-4mm-motorized-lens-IPC-HDBW8630E/32748172743.html

attached is a sample my 4MP Dahua w/extra IR lighting

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, these cameras look like great deals. Does Dahua have any warranty or firmware issues, like Hikvision cameras when you buy online?

Also I'm not sure I need Varifocal, because the camera is very close to the subject. I'm guessing that the current camera is adjusted to 2.8mm.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you increase pixel density without increasing sensor size the low light capabilities are somewhat reduced.. However if you compensate by adding more light the extra pixels will end up having more detail than a 2MP model; there are many benefits to running external lighting.. If adding additional lighting is not an option then you should favor the 2MP over 4MP.. the 4MP's have real WDR instead of DWDR and are likely to have a much superior image in the daytime too; even if ran at the same resolution as 2MP.. I have a mixture of 2MP and 4MP and its hard to pick one; I think I like the 4MP better tho.

Dahua's StarLight cameras have larger sensor sizes, they are throwing a bunch of new starlight cameras on the market but few people have had a chance to test em yet.. there sensor sizes are nearly twice the normal size.. Ive seen images from these IMX178 sensors in other cameras and they were pretty impressive in low light but they too also lacked real WDR so left a lot to be desired in the daytime.

Dahua has no firmware issues like Hikvision's regional locking if thats what your asking; they are OEM only and dont have any retail products; so warranty is provided by vendor..

If you dont need varifocal there are many other cameras avilable for even less money.. just about anything will be better than what you have, might start off cheap and if you need better performance either add more light or go for a starlight model

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does it look as sharp when you are moving around? What shutter speed do you have it set at?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
https://www.cnet.com/news/camera-megapixels-why-more-isnt-always-better-smartphones-unlocked/
More importantly that 2mp camera is a "starlight" camera which is dahua's low light vision line...it will be noticeably better. The 4mp cameras are not significantly better in daytime, particularly in a case like this where you have varifocal...
Thanks, I didn't realize that higher MP cameras could actually have lower quality images. I guess that's why most of the Dahua Starlight and Hikvision DarkFighter cameras are 2MP.

So I assume the most important aspect of image quality is the size of the image sensor. The Starlight's have 1/1.9” and the DarkFighters have 1/1.8”. If I wanted to go with a higher 8MP camera, what size sensor would I need to ensure excellent image quality?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
motion blur (esp. that 3rd shot) could be reduced by shortening exposure somewhat.

Looks like a mask to me (not surprising assuming they planned to hit multiple places), so higher rez wouldn't help much.

A camera (or two) that can clearly show license plates of cars going by would be more useful in that case.
At least the cops would have a lead to work from. LP cams do have different requirements and setup parameters, however.
See the various threads on that around here...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I assume the most important aspect of image quality is the size of the image sensor. The Starlight's have 1/1.9” and the DarkFighters have 1/1.8”. If I wanted to go with a higher 8MP camera, what size sensor would I need to ensure excellent image quality?
not nessicary; Dahua has new 2MP 1/2.8 Sensors out now that come extremely close to the performance claims of the 2MP 1/1.9 sensors.. they are cheaper in the end because the optics are more widely produced and also cheaper.. but we dont have alot of evidence yet how these sensors actually perform.. they are just now becoming avilable for purchase.. if the claims hold true it will be the first name brand sub-$200 starlight capable camera, and most have motorized variable focus which is just icing on the cake.

The 8-12MP large sensor cameras dont really have much better low light capabilities than the 4MP 1/3 cameras due to the increase in density.. the best UHD low light is the IMX178 in that 6MP I linked earlier.. and its a little better in low light than a typical 2MP Exmor non-starlight, which is pretty good for most situations, and the extra pixels provide a nice bit of additional detail that helps alot.

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hikvision has a new 8MP camera in their DarkFighter series. Looks like they address the image sensor issue by stitching together four 1/1.8" image sensors.
2918_0a.jpg

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if they've improved the dynamic range any?