better nightview as 4mp ds-2cd2142fwd-is

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hi,

I bought a ds-2cd2142fwd-is recently, and am a bit unhappy about he result at night...
The area that I record has 2 public streetlights and steady image is fair. I find t to have a lot of noise
When a car drives by, its one hell of light, blurring everything out even with taillights.

Maybe I want too much, but i want to recognise people as like t was daylight. B/W no problem, but the noise and high bright overexposed image is unacceptable.

What cam do you advise?
Are there settings to improve the mage as described? I played with it, but...

Also, I have many dropped frames (I record on internal 128gb s card, lass 10 uhs.) up to 15 seconds misses sometimes, but frequently seconds and 3-4 second, even at 8fps max. res.

Any input?

Thanks!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
try turning down or disabling DNR (noise reduction).
try increasing 'shutter speed' in the 'exposure' settings. if your at 1/30 now, try 1/60, etc...

if those don't help, post some snapshots or video and screen shots of your settings and someone may be able to make other suggestions...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
That's why I keep letting people know that all these Hikvision budget cams are unacceptable for some outdoor scenarios when it comes to night recording. You could get external IR which will certainly improve it. If you want to try another cam with much better night vision there is really only one choice today if in the same price range. You can refer to my signature.

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have seenyour longse,looks great, but I wonder if the lights of a car overexpose as well, as that's the biggest problem...

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
just set noise reduction on again, as off was very grainy. level set at 60.
exposure 1/25th. bigger gets darker, where 100 is the limit. more and it gets black.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have seenyour longse,looks great, but I wonder if the lights of a car overexpose as well, as that's the biggest problem...
Did not notice that. So what are you trying to accomplish? Get license plate up close?

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I just want a razorsharp image so I can see what people are up to at the cars in the parking lot.
few weeks ago got adenk in my car as big as a fst.No note came with it with name/address unfortunately. Those events I'd like to capture including a decent face shot.
Licence plates would be a big plus...

also, I have te maual of my cam,and on firt looks it appears to hav many more options than cn find in its menu?Anyone famlia with this

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It's difficult to tell from the description what you are trying to capture, if you provide a screenshot that would certainly help. With Longse s500 5MP I get much cleaner and sharper image then Hikvision 4MP dome I had, but it's not going to ID people faces at more then 40 feet away. It needs more resolution and probably a better lens to get more detail and for car license plate it needs different settings which will not work for people recognition. You might very well need at least two cams to accomplish your goal.

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
this is my overview cam.
My intention is to capture th cars in the back of the image, and the persons/cars that come around the corner of the road.
Hope this clarifies things...:)

Thanks!!

ps.

The intention is to add a second cam with a 8 to 12mm lens to capture the parking lot, and identify faces and licence plates.

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like you have ton of light there and picture looks decent for an overall cam. Are you trying to reach the distant parking lot in there or just that black Audi? In any case the lens is too wide angle and you will need a lot more resolution in addition to higher sensitivity or get narrower FOV lens cam. While Longse s500 will get you much better and clear picture it's not going to help with ID at such distance. I would personally combine overall cam with Huisun Mini PTZ v2 to reach further spots.

Although even if you spend $1k on 4k cam with expensive lens wide angle like this isn't great for ID:

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
No single camera will give you that sort of detail at that distance without giving up your closer view (of the boat/car/front door?) in the foreground.

You're not gonna get license plates at the corner with that cam (2.8mm?) at that distance. maybe in daylight, but not at night.
you'll never get faces at the remote parking with that cam, day or night.

keep this one as your closeup overview and get a fixed 12mm (or PTZ) for the corner and remote parking lot.

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's my intention also, to have one overview, (this 2.8 indeed) and add a 10 or 12mm for the parking lot.
This one can cover my boat and neighbors Volvo. Audi is illegal parked; its a crosswalk.
Neighbor across the street greed to put2 cams on his wall pointed further upon the street, and parking lot as well. That gives multiple angles... :)
These will be connected thru a dedicated wifi connection pointed towards him.
Im thinking of turrets or box cams with exir leds as the dome is not that great..

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you can try lowering your contrast and/or gain settings, and/or increasing WDR
(for the night-time profile if you've set up separate day/night)

but there's not much you can do when headlights point straight at the camera...

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
manual iris
1/25 exposure
100 gain
blc off
wdr off
noise reduction normal
59 level
ir off