better nightview as 4mp ds-2cd2142fwd-is

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
if I set gain to 70, I need to set exposure to 1/12
yes, there are compromises with small sensor, so you really can't do much in terms of getting better picture in this view.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem you are going to run into when running at 1/12 exposure is going to be a blurred/smeared effect on all moving objects making identification impossible. I would leave it at 1/25 for a more clear motion capture myself. Keep in mind that you might be able to run at 1/12 exposure because of how much light you have in your scene, but only you can be the judge of that.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
also, if you were aim the camera just a tad lower, you can eliminate a few of the street lights in the far view that are not helping...

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's why I keep letting people know that all these Hikvision budget cams are unacceptable for some outdoor scenarios when it comes to night recording.
Where do you rank the Hik turrets for low light performance?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Where do you rank the Hik turrets for low light performance?
Tough question to answer really and it will be subjective anyway. For different outdoor setting it will work differently. They will work fine as an overall camera if you have plenty of light like the picture above or small area like a porch, but once you get a taste of cam with imx178 sensor and Huisun PTZ I no longer want any of these budget Hikvision cams for outdoors. Just recently sold my final 3MP turret.

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, name some cameras you'd advice then?
I'm starting to setup a full new system, so thats important info to me...