Beyond 100ft of CAT6 CABLE help

Reaction score
Hey, this has probably been resolved many times here but I need to read the answer to my own post. Im about to install my LaView 8 channel camera system. I did buy 4 separate cat6 with better copper than the ones that came with the system (cat5 aluminum). As im visually measuring, I think I might need a bit more than 100ft of the Ethernet cable runned in my artic to my NVR, I might need maybe less than 50ft of extra ether cable.

So my question is, what can i use to extend my cable without losing power (if any) so it can reach my NVR without breaking the bank? What if I need to run more than just one cable? What would I need then if it's multiple extensions? And laat, if I do need to extend it, would I be able to use the cat5 cable that it came with? That's another 100ft of cable.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you buying and using pre-terminated (RJ-45 connectors) Ethernet patch cables or are you buying lengths of cable and installing your own RJ-45 connectors?

Personally, I prefer to buy my own cable and connectors and terminate the cables myself. There's little waste, the holes you drill are smaller and you don't have to baby and coddle those RJ-45's that are already on pre-terminated cables to keep from breaking the latch....by the time I've got some paper (to protect from tape glue) then tape over the connector, it looks like I'm trying to pull a roasted chicken thru a hole just barely big enough for a hot dog.

You can also buy 2 each 250' or 500' boxes and pull 2 cables at the same time; or 4 each 250' boxes and pull 4 at a time...it's your call. Sure the cost/foot goes up when you compare a 250' box to a 1,000' reel but chances are you're doing this by yourself anyway and to me, time is money. I'd rather spend $100 (instead of $50) and save an hour (also worth $50, IMO) and save my aching back, also....which is hard to attach a price to!

I have found that if I estimate a job will take 250' of cable I buy 500', especially if I know I'll likely need more in the future on another job. Nothing more annoying to me than having to stop, drive 25 miles each-way (for me, at least) to buy a $4 box or $5 worth of connectors; I over-buy and if local, I can return for refund at MY convenience.

True, it's hard to return items purchased online but it's a coin toss....I prefer to have too much than too little, once I start a job I want to finish it. At 69 it's hard to get started, I like to keep what little momentum I have going.

Generally, with quality, all copper CAT-6 you can run POE up to 328 feet total length. You can extend an existing pre-terminated cable with a female-female RJ-45 coupler but I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT. I have done it in a protected, indoor environment as a temporary measure until I can replace the cable soon. The more mechanical connections you introduce into any circuit, the more possibility of problems. Extreme temperature swings, especially in an attic, can introduce thermal intermittence with connections, especially something that depends on spring pressure and friction to make and maintain a good, low impedance connection. You don't need that. For each camera use 1 cable with a RJ-45 at each end; 1 at cam, 1 at NVR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Generally, with quality, all copper CAT-6 you can run POE up to 328 feet total length. You can extend an existing pre-terminated cable with a female-female RJ-45 coupler but I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT. ...
Hi Matador,

TonyR has given you some excellent sound advice.

Trust me, female to female RJ-45 couplered lines do fail - and when they do it is a royal PITA to trouble shoot, just not worth the time when you can do it right the first time.

Reaction score
I have a small house, 1000sq ft, and it's not very hard to go around my attic, it's just the new experience of dealing with security cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a small house, 1000sq ft, and it's not very hard to go around my attic, it's just the new experience of dealing with security cameras.
How much do you estimate your time is worth?
Are you cash tight or available time tight?

Reaction score
Neither. Im in no rush to do it, it's gonna be a DIY project. As for money, that shouldn't be a big issue for me as long as it's worth it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Neither. Im in no rush to do it, it's gonna be a DIY project. As for money, that shouldn't be a big issue for me as long as it's worth it.
Then trust us when we tell you from our years of experience what works best and better.

Reaction score
I still have to cut some tree branches and trim some off so that the view of the camera isn't obstructed by these branches, so I still have 2 weeks to install.

Reaction score
I have a neighbor that was recxorecommto me that installs security cameras, I'll ask him for help to see if you can to the cabling for me and do the right lengths the first time and probably ask him to give me another extra cable just in case I need another camera in the future. Thanks for all the help tho!