BI 4.2.2.0 breaks motion detection - how to downgrade

netmax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

this morning I've notices masses of false motion detections on my cameras. Checking that I've seen that BI has updated to 4.2.2.0. Several times per hour a bunch of green and red "motion recangles" are appearing on the camera pictures, triggering the motion alarm. There is absolutely no object or motion - so there seems to be a show stopper bug.

I've already reported this to the support including a demo video, but I need to get back to a running state as soon as possible. Unfortunately I did not see any downloads of the previous version neither instructions how to downgrade.

I have daily backups of my server VM's and would be able to get selected files back from these - what do I need to replace? Just the files

These seem to be the files which have been changed.

Thanks,
Marco

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Simply run an earlier update.exe and it will revert

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

no3grover

n3wb
Reaction score
Same issue after updating to 4.2.2.0 I don't seen previous updates on the website, and don't save them regularly as I update via the BI Client. Does anyone have a link to the prior version (prior to 4.2.2.0) so I can return my system to a stable detection state.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same problems this morning. Run my auto update at 7am and after install the clouds are setting off all my cameras like crazy. Just followed the link above and went back down 4.1.9 but I know I was on something newer yesterday (4.2.1 maybe?) and didn't have these problems.

A change-log would be nice. I have now turned off auto update. LOL

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
4.2.1 and newer replaced the motion detection algorithms. They are still being tweaked so sensitivity and behavior may continue to change for a few weeks.

Detailed change logs are in the Blue Iris help file, What's New section.

Also, the blue, green, and red rectangles are not causing motion detection. They are highlighting motion that is detected. You can disable the highlighting in the camera's motion detection settings. Though I'm surprised it got enabled if you didn't enable it yourself.

I too get an excessive number of these in clouds but mostly eliminated the alert triggers caused by them by enabling the new "Alert travels" option.

netmax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've played around with the new travel setting (which is on by default at 100 pixels), but I can't get that working. I'll live with some hundreds of events over night and run an update.exe from one of my backups tomorrow.

Even there *is* no traveling in my pictures when suddenly a red rectangle covers 20% of the picture area. Nothing is visibly changing when a dozen of green rectangles appears from nowhere. That's a bloody bug!

What I really can't understand is that such a huge and obviously not thoroughly tested change is been distributed by AutoUpdate to production systems :-( It should immediately be pulled back and put into a (public) beta phase to test it a bit more deep. Although I did not have bad experience with the AutoUpdate feature I think i need to deactivate that and make a VM snapshot in future of my W2012 machine before applying updates. BI is a fantastic piece of software, but it's in security sector where updates which can potentially smash a system should be released a bit more carefully.

Just my 2 cents ...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've played around with the new travel setting (which is on by default at 100 pixels), but I can't get that working. I'll live with some hundreds of events over night and run an update.exe from one of my backups tomorrow.

Even there *is* no traveling in my pictures when suddenly a red rectangle covers 20% of the picture area. Nothing is visibly changing when a dozen of green rectangles appears from nowhere. That's a bloody bug!

What I really can't understand is that such a huge and obviously not thoroughly tested change is been distributed by AutoUpdate to production systems :-( It should immediately be pulled back and put into a (public) beta phase to test it a bit more deep. Although I did not have bad experience with the AutoUpdate feature I think i need to deactivate that and make a VM snapshot in future of my W2012 machine before applying updates. BI is a fantastic piece of software, but it's in security sector where updates which can potentially smash a system should be released a bit more carefully.

Just my 2 cents ...
This is why auto update should be turn off. Period. That will solve all the problems. I cant believe anyone has this on. In the interim can also easily disable alerts by using the traffic signal and only selecting disable alerts. I personally love the fact the these updates are released so often. That is one of the best things about the software, new features are added regularly unlike other vms that schedule releases every 6 months or yearly (if that).

netmax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree partially, Fenderman. Useful would be a split into a stable branch and experimental branch. Stable versions go into AutoUpdate, experimental versions have to be installed manually on your own risk.

I also love testing features and functions, doing this with a number of products. I also love frequent updates as you do. But I want clearly know what's stable and what's beta!

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4.2.1 and newer replaced the motion detection algorithms. They are still being tweaked so sensitivity and behavior may continue to change for a few weeks.

Detailed change logs are in the Blue Iris help file, What's New section.

Also, the blue, green, and red rectangles are not causing motion detection. They are highlighting motion that is detected. You can disable the highlighting in the camera's motion detection settings. Though I'm surprised it got enabled if you didn't enable it yourself.

I too get an excessive number of these in clouds but mostly eliminated the alert triggers caused by them by enabling the new "Alert travels" option.
Just out of interest, why don't you mask the sky for this camera?

netmax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not only skies, atom. In my setup it's randomly everywhere, also in relevant areas.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not only skies, atom. In my setup it's randomly everywhere, also in relevant areas.
Yes, same netmax. I was just interested in why bp2008 didn't mask the sky in that image in general, not specifically to address these new issues. A bit OT I realise...

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Just my 2 cents ...
IMO, the blame should be on those with auto update on. Do you let Microsoft do auto updates on your system too? If your system is stable and you are happy with it, why take the chance to update without even knowing what changes were made? I'm with @fenderman on this one. Looking forward to new features and updates, BUT I control the updates. Gives me time to make a backup, just in case I need to revert back.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just out of interest, why don't you mask the sky for this camera?
Two reasons really. First, because some of the more violent weather can be fun to look at. And also I live near a small airport and some day it might capture an airplane. Particularly now that the motion detection is all oversensitive.

no3grover

n3wb
Reaction score
Curious further on this topic of updates. Not automatically taking updates makes a lot of sense, however in absence of that, what would be a better process to validate a release before taking it? Seems that the only solution would be to watch the forums and look for people complaining about update issues, however that also seems like a manual and time consuming task.

Due to the way the updates are available in the app, and the lack of any version numbering on the website, it may be very helpful to have access to prior updates easily on the website, that way if an update was discovered to have an issue, it would be very simple to roll back the change by installing a prior know working update. Just a recommendation, and curious on other comments or ideas. Also, this is not a specific problem with this software, its a global issue with updates for all software, and something you need to plan and account.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious further on this topic of updates. Not automatically taking updates makes a lot of sense, however in absence of that, what would be a better process to validate a release before taking it? Seems that the only solution would be to watch the forums and look for people complaining about update issues, however that also seems like a manual and time consuming task.

Due to the way the updates are available in the app, and the lack of any version numbering on the website, it may be very helpful to have access to prior updates easily on the website, that way if an update was discovered to have an issue, it would be very simple to roll back the change by installing a prior know working update. Just a recommendation, and curious on other comments or ideas. Also, this is not a specific problem with this software, its a global issue with updates for all software, and something you need to plan and account.
Manually updating the software via the website allows you to easily keep the old update files which you can use to revert to a previous version.
Generally updates are fine, but its best to wait for .1 or .2 of a new version before updating...There is no reason to update very often. I wait for a feature I need/want to be added. You can see a list in the whats new section of this website.

Cgy-User

n3wb
Reaction score
I proposed to Ken that he create a Beta Test group. Ie, a way for people who are interested in testing and using the very latest to subscribe and get the updates before they are released to general production. This would, at least, reduce some of the strain on us, not knowing how "mature" a given release is, and then installing it, only to find out, it's got lots of issues.... Not sure how he'll respond.

netmax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw my BI being on 4.2.2.1 this morning, but that did not fix the problem. Using a backup from October, 16th brought me back to version 4.1.9.2, running happily with a working motion detection again.

There should be a 4.2.0 from the web site history, but it seems that was never installed. So I'll stay with 4.1.9.2 until the motion detection seems to be fixed ... AutoUpdate is off now and I'm keeping copies of the update.exe files now to revert back whenever I did an update.