BI 4 CPU load

rantech

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a long time user of BI 3 (using it for a couple of years and love it - best value in software ever!) and have never had any problems with (7) high resolution Hikvision Cameras (2332's) and (4) lower end Foscam cameras (9802's). CPU use ranges from 30 to 40% (never higher than 45%).

Summer 2015, tried upgrading to BI 4 but after installing BI 4 the CPU use went nuts (80 to 100%) and the software was unstable so I restored back to BI 3.

Today, I tried again but this time I installed BI 4.5.1.6 on an identical "new" and clean machine - I have two identical HP Elitedesk G1 800 I7 SFF machines with Win 7 Pro 64 Bit and basically nothing else. The first has my BI 3.6.6 setup and is used solely for BI and camera mgmt. The second is a spare that I bought about a year ago but never used (still new in box). I pulled out the "new" machine, loaded BI 4.5.1.6, setup my cameras as near to identically as on the BI 3.6.6 machine so I could compare side by side. The BI 3.6.6 machine was running under 40% CPU and the BI 4.5.1.6 machine was running under 50% for the first couple minutes but quickly spiked to 100% CPU use and the program crashed - I had to reload it. Same thing just kept happening.

I started deleting cameras and after deleting 3 or 4 cameras, the BI 4 system stabilized and went back to normal with reasonable CPU use and no major spikes.

I really want to upgrade to BI 4 but can't do it if it's not going to be able to handle the camera feeds (11) in total ...

I am using direct to disc for all cameras on both setups. I am using some pre-trigger on the BI 3 setup but have it turned off for all cameras on the BI 4 setup. Both machines are set to "High Power" mode in Windows.

I know I can reduce the camera resolution or frame rate but I don't really want to do that as BI 3 has no problems. I'd rather have the resolution and frame rate over the upgrades.

Any suggestions ...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a long time user of BI 3 (using it for a couple of years and love it - best value in software ever!) and have never had any problems with (7) high resolution Hikvision Cameras (2332's) and (4) lower end Foscam cameras (9802's). CPU use ranges from 30 to 40% (never higher than 45%).

Summer 2015, tried upgrading to BI 4 but after installing BI 4 the CPU use went nuts (80 to 100%) and the software was unstable so I restored back to BI 3.

Today, I tried again but this time I installed BI 4.5.1.6 on an identical "new" and clean machine - I have two identical HP Elitedesk G1 800 I7 SFF machines with Win 7 Pro 64 Bit and basically nothing else. The first has my BI 3.6.6 setup and is used solely for BI and camera mgmt. The second is a spare that I bought about a year ago but never used (still new in box). I pulled out the "new" machine, loaded BI 4.5.1.6, setup my cameras as near to identically as on the BI 3.6.6 machine so I could compare side by side. The BI 3.6.6 machine was running under 40% CPU and the BI 4.5.1.6 machine was running under 50% for the first couple minutes but quickly spiked to 100% CPU use and the program crashed - I had to reload it. Same thing just kept happening.

I started deleting cameras and after deleting 3 or 4 cameras, the BI 4 system stabilized and went back to normal with reasonable CPU use and no major spikes.

I really want to upgrade to BI 4 but can't do it if it's not going to be able to handle the camera feeds (11) in total ...

I am using direct to disc for all cameras on both setups. I am using some pre-trigger on the BI 3 setup but have it turned off for all cameras on the BI 4 setup. Both machines are set to "High Power" mode in Windows.

I know I can reduce the camera resolution or frame rate but I don't really want to do that as BI 3 has no problems. I'd rather have the resolution and frame rate over the upgrades.

Any suggestions ...
Search memory leak in this forum..its related to intel drivers.
Also note that direct to disk does not work in demo mode...dont forget to enable hardware acceleration to further significantly reduce cpu usage. Blue iris 4 is super stable and can easily handle 11 cameras.

rantech

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, that seems to have taken care of the issue. CPU use down around 40% now and basically the same as my BI 3 machine. Been stable and no memory leaks for almost a full day now.

Another quick question ... I can't drag and rearrange camera windows - Drag Lock is not checked and the Solo Camera icon is not green (seem to be the common issues) but I'm unable to move camera windows around. Layout options work but can't manually arrange. Any thoughts?

rantech

n3wb
Reaction score
Weird ... to grab a camera window I have to click on it - hold the mouse button down, move the mouse off that window, then move the mouse back over that camera window again and it actually only picks up the camera window once the mouse is moved back over it and then once it has grabbed, I can move it around. No matter how much I click on the window and move the mouse around, and no longer how long I wait, it doesn't grab the window unless I click, move off and then move back.

Don't know if this is intended behavior but it doesn't seem to mentioned anywhere in the help files. Didn't find any discussion of it on the forum either so I'm posting it here in the hopes that it might help someone else who searches this topic in the future.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Weird ... to grab a camera window I have to click on it - hold the mouse button down, move the mouse off that window, then move the mouse back over that camera window again and it actually only picks up the camera window once the mouse is moved back over it and then once it has grabbed, I can move it around. No matter how much I click on the window and move the mouse around, and no longer how long I wait, it doesn't grab the window unless I click, move off and then move back.

Don't know if this is intended behavior but it doesn't seem to mentioned anywhere in the help files. Didn't find any discussion of it on the forum either so I'm posting it here in the hopes that it might help someone else who searches this topic in the future.
Its not intended....there is something wrong with your mouse or your install...

rantech

n3wb
Reaction score
Could be ... I was clicking on a new camera window and keeping the button down as I then tried to move. After your comment, I did some more testing and notice that if I click a new window to make it the active window, then release the mouse button, and then click that window again and hold the button down, I can move it as well. Is it assumed that a window should already be active before you try to move it or is that still a sign of a problem on my end? Regardless, I'm able to move windows again via either of these methods so unless some more serious symptoms pop up I think I'll leave my install alone.

Note: Would likely be the install rather than the mouse since I have the same behavior both locally and via RDC from another computer, and using the same hardware to RDC into my BI 3 machine doesn't behave this way.