BI 5 and Port Fowarding/DDNS

gokiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Apologies if this is not in the correct place , I guess it could also go under networking.

I have BI 5 configured for web access.

Local Address - 192.168.0.6
Port 88
Wan Address *Edited*

I have an ASUS DSL55U and currently have port forwarding enabled, however my wan ip address changes frequently so it doesn't really work so registered with the ASUS DDNS service and have *edited* however this doesnt work either.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, can anyone provide any pointers ?

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never give out your DDNS name, again asking to get hacked.
Port forwarding... again asking to get hacked.

That ip address is in russia not the UK. Also an IP address of descending numbers is not very likely

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok back to your question, Does the asus router home screen show the current IP address and the DDNS name ?
What is your internet provider, name and type . Is it cellular ?
C9.JPG

Last edited:

gokiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the protracted response - life stuff got in the way.

The wan address was made up :)

So all I get is a constant "!"which when I hover over it it says "unable to connect to the internet" - which is incorrect as I am connected.

My ISP is Vodafone here in the UK

Capture.PNG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is vodafone a wired or wireless internet provider?
By wireless I mean does it use a cell network for your home internet.

In the USA the wireless cellular internet providers do not have a constant IP address it changes with each connection, so DDNS will not work. It will not support inbound traffic to your home network.

Look at your internet IP address.... 84.xxx.xxx.xxx over time, every few hours over a few days, does it keep changing ?

can you ping that IP address from your cell phone on the cellular network.(not home wifi) ?
Can you ping the IP address for an external location, coffee shop, work, pub....

gokiwi

n3wb
Reaction score

In the USA the wireless cellular internet providers do not have a constant IP address it changes with each connection, so DDNS will not work. It will not support inbound traffic to your home network.

Look at your internet IP address.... 84.xxx.xxx.xxx over time, every few hours over a few days, does it keep changing ?

can you ping that IP address from your cell phone on the cellular network.(not home wifi) ?
Can you ping the IP address for an external location, coffee shop, work, pub....
Hi,

They are wired (not cellular) and so yes my wan ip address does change. So I understand that I need a VPN (I have another post about this).

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BI essentially has it's own Dynamic DNS style service, based on your license key. Follow the remote access wizard, it guides you through this and shows you the url.
Basically bookmark and go to "blueiris.pro/go?XXXXXXXXXX" where XXXXXXXXXX are the first 5 and last 5 digits of your licence key.
You can then use this URL from a PC, IPAD ect.. to always get your WAN IP remotely. So a 2 step process if your IP changes.

The security risk with port forwarding is overstated., often confused with dynamic port forwarding, eg: UPNP, which I recommend you always disable (usually on by default). But interesting enough, most security professionals don't even class that as a key risk anymore.
Your cameras are a bigger security risk as is most home router firmware and your home printer (if network enabled), not to mention any iot devices not on guest.
Some mitigations (applicable to both VPN and Port Forwarding)
- use a dedicated device for BI (with a different user id and password to anything else on your network)
- strong passwords for BI
- Don't change\modify BI to run as an admin
- Whitelisting to your remote IP's if fixed (eg: proxy servers are work), or the range used by your mobile provider. Quick way to exclude people overseas, narrows the footprint
- At attacker is far more likely to exploit a vulnerability in a more readily available product such as Open VPN, so generally use a paid vpn not openvpn.
If you have sensitive material don't allow remote access of any kind (port forwarding or VPN)
Note though with port forwarding, while usernames and passwords are encrypted the video stream is not, you require STUNNEL or VPN for that.
Many other mitigation you can take, but the key is you are not exposing your entire PC or windows to the internet by allowing a single port for BI. An attacker must explicitly target a vulnerability in BI, then code an exploit specifically to BI.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your network IP address changes multi times an hour ddns will not work. Have you done the ping test.
Your internet provider may not support inbound traffic. You will need to contact your internet provider or other users of your internet provider.

gokiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

First off thank you everybody for your help thus far, it is appreciated. Unfortunately trying to keep pace/learn technology at 55+ can be very frustrating and somewhat confusing.

So unfortunately I have had to stop using my Asus DSL-55U , it appears to have something wrong with it and my Vodafone router does not support VPN's of any sort.

It does support DDNS and Port Forwarding (but needs a 3rd party provider), but then would need to run OpenVPN server on my Blueiris /Windows NVR - How does that fit in with security etc ?

**** Scrap that - Vodafone router only supports a limited - very limited number of DDNS providers and they either not free, dont support the domain options the router supports or require you to own a domain ****

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am 70+ and it takes a lot of work to keep up, but it is doable.

Is your phone service tied to your internet service ? Do you have a home phone connected to your modem/router?

british telecom approved routers

NO ASUS routers on the list. What is the exact model number of the vodafone modem router. May be it can be placed in passthru mode

May be some one in the UK,Scotland.... can setup and give you a hand.
@alastairstevenson

gokiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Many ISP's allow the use of 3rd party routers "at your risk" that is effectively unsupported.

The Vodafone router is a generic grey box - I think its just a "chinese" unit wrapped in a vodafone case.

So I either need to replace the Vodafone and Asus routers with something more configurable or accept that I cannot view my camera's/recordings remotely

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your network IP address changes multi times an hour ddns will not work. Have you done the ping test.
Your internet provider may not support inbound traffic. You will need to contact your internet provider or other users of your internet provider.
Lol.. no isp changes your wan address that frequently. Caused them issues, especially on compliance.
If it is changing that frequently and your BI server isn’t on the back of a truck, contact your isp.
Major red flag right there. You will have all sorts of connectivity issues

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it does on a wireless internet connection. For example a 4G access point. It can change on every conversation on IPV4.

We have a a number of users that have wireless access internet and they can not use DDNS.

That is why i asked the question !

Reaction score

Do you know of a solution around the CNAT used by cell ISPs? I can not get a static from my provider and have been trying to get DDNS services to work with the results you mentioned.Any help is apptrciated.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
So I have followed the Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router and openvpn( wifi OFF) works great for accessing my Dahua NVR test setup via idmss app via ip/domain and NOT P2P. But it dont work on with my personal blue iris set-up. I can view my cams on my phone app with my wifi on, but NOT when wifi is off and openvpn on. Any help would be appreciated.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What phone are you using make model ?
What application are you using to access Blue Iris UI3 or the BI phone app ?
At home on your phone can you access your BI without using the VPN ?
If you are on your home network you do not need the VPN.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On your phone turn off the wifi. Connect using your cellular network , using the VPN and verify that you can login to the NVR. Then try the BI App to access the BI PC. The use of the BI app on the VPN is identical to the app when on Wifi, absolute no difference, same port same local IP address.