BI 5: Lost Connection to Service

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When in the console I'm getting an error message now that says "Lost connection to service". This happens shortly after startup and then the client ultimately crashes in less than a minute.

The webpage UI3 says the "the video stream was lost. Due to rapid failures, automatic reconnection will not occur"

I have about 26 cameras running at different resolutions and this setup has been stable for several months. The only thing new that occurred today was that I had a power outage and had to reboot several times. I didn't receive any OS or system errors on reboot other than the BI errors.

The CPU is not maxed when BI runs as a service and when the client is not launched.

Disabling cameras seems to not have an impact on the error.

My Config
BI Version: 5.02.3 x64. Occurs with the latest version as of today and previous version
Win 10 Pro
Intel I7 3770k, 32GB, SSD for alerts and clips
10gb/e network

-No pending Windows Updates to do

Any ideas what is going on? I really don't think I changed anything.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When in the console I'm getting an error message now that says "Lost connection to service". This happens shortly after startup and then the client ultimately crashes in less than a minute.

The webpage UI3 says the "the video stream was lost. Due to rapid failures, automatic reconnection will not occur"

I have about 26 cameras running at different resolutions and this setup has been stable for several months. The only thing new that occurred today was that I had a power outage and had to reboot several times. I didn't receive any OS or system errors on reboot other than the BI errors.

The CPU is not maxed when BI runs as a service and when the client is not launched.

Disabling cameras seems to not have an impact on the error.

My Config
BI Version: 5.02.3 x64. Occurs with the latest version as of today and previous version
Win 10 Pro
Intel I7 3770k, 32GB, SSD for alerts and clips
10gb/e network

-No pending Windows Updates to do

Any ideas what is going on? I really don't think I changed anything.
All Bi systems should be connected to a good backup ups.

Check that you can access the cam with a browser. You may need to power cycle the cams as well. Everything should connected on a good UPS.

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All Bi systems should be connected to a good backup ups.

Check that you can access the cam with a browser. You may need to power cycle the cams as well. Everything should connected on a good UPS.

Thanks. The cameras work via direct access. All 26 cameras can be briefly seen in BI before the software crashes. The problem has to be in the software somewhere or the resource utilization of the machine.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. The cameras work via direct access. All 26 cameras can be briefly seen in BI before the software crashes. The problem has to be in the software somewhere or the resource utilization of the machine.
By your own admission, it appears that the Blue Iris crashes started to occur after a power outage. It is likely that either the Windows OS system files, registry and/or Blue Iris may have suffered corruptions. I would first recommend running a "CHKDSK C: /F" from an Administrator elevated CMD prompt and reboot the PC. I would then run SFC and DISM from an Administrator elevated CMD prompt to see if you have any corruption.

Step 1: Run SFC and DISM /CheckHealth and /ScanHealth

SFC /scannow

should return the following messages:

1) Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations
2) Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
3) Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

should return "No component store corruption detected."

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Step 2: Run DISM /RestoreHealth and SFC

If either SFC /scannow or DISM indicate problems, then you should run the DISM with /RestoreHealth and then re-run SFC /scannow.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /scannow

Step 3: Re-install Blue Iris 5 & re-Import backup

After this, if you are still having Blue Iris crashing problems, then download and install the Blue Iris full installer for 5.0.2.3 x64. If you have a recent Blue Iris backup (Blue Iris.reg, backup.reg, backup2.reg or backup3.reg), I would re-import them into Blue Iris -> Settings ->About.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With 26 cameras what is your total MP/SEC for your system ?
How does this compare to ?
Blue Iris Update Helper

If you are still having problems, disconnect 1/2 of your cameras and see if you are still having the problem ?

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this. The SFC / DISM scans seemed to clean up some unrelated errors, but I still have the same BI issues. I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of Blue Iris and I'm still getting the exact same error. I don't know what is going on at this point. I did a reimport from a backup Bi export and I'm wondering if that just corrupted it again.

I don't have any other noticeable errors on the OS or other software apps, just BI.

By your own admission, it appears that the Blue Iris crashes started to occur after a power outage. It is likely that either the Windows OS system files, registry and/or Blue Iris may have suffered corruptions. I would first recommend running a "CHKDSK C: /F" from an Administrator elevated CMD prompt and reboot the PC. I would then run SFC and DISM from an Administrator elevated CMD prompt to see if you have any corruption.

Step 1: Run SFC and DISM /CheckHealth and /ScanHealth

SFC /scannow

should return the following messages:

1) Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations
2) Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
3) Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Step 2: Run DISM /RestoreHealth and SFC

If either SFC /scannow or DISM indicate problems, then you should run the DISM with /RestoreHealth and then re-run SFC /scannow.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /scannow

Step 3: Re-install Blue Iris 5 & re-Import backup

After this, if you are still having Blue Iris crashing problems, then download and install the Blue Iris full installer for 5.0.2.3 x64. If you have a recent Blue Iris backup (Blue Iris.reg, backup.reg, backup2.reg or backup3.reg), I would re-import them into Blue Iris -> Settings ->About.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am now having this issue. Did you ever find a workable solution?
EDIT: I am having a similar issue.... BI is super slow to start the service.. or maybe its a windows issue. IDK. Long and short is when the computer starts I get either the Lost Connection to Service or Service failed to initialize. After a few minutes if I try again it starts up. Below is what I did to get myself into this predicament.

I restarted windows and it applied updates (I really need to follow the steps to disable that). When it came back up I was having issues where database compact repair would fail. I would delete the DB folder and run it manually and all would be good until the next time it ran automatically. I recall past instances of this issue being resolved by a BI update so I ran the latest update. It then had an error about not being able to connect to the service and would not start.

I found another thread (Thanks Fenderman! Thread here) where it was recommended to revert back to BI 5.2.1.4 which I tried but it kept saying the update failed as BlueIris.exe was in use (even though task manager showed the service as stopped. I ran windows in safe mode and did the update. Then when I would try to open the console it would say the service may not be initializing properly or quickly enough, try again in 30 seconds or reboot if it persists then doesn't open. Task Manager showed the service as running. Did a reboot and then the BI spash screen would come up and then just crash/go away when I try. I let it sit for a bit while I did research on here and got a notification text that BI had restarted. I tried to open the console again and it succeeded! So for some reason the service/windows was just super slow to restart. Doing another restart now to see how it does.

Last edited: