BI 50tb storage

chinklop

n3wb
Reaction score
hello

I have 9 nine camera system that record on continuous. Each camera generates a 24GB file every. the customer wants 6 months of storage. I calculated roughly 50TB. I don't have room in the computer to add that about of storage. Also I would like raid 5

can some one please recommend

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
P!ease read up on raid. They are very hard to recover. Test it out set up a raid 5 with a lot of disk space used, then remove and replace one of the drives.
, Wait a few days to see if it ever recovers. Raids are not recommended for security cameras.

You can set up a 5 drive 10 tb purple drive drive system. With an SSD for bi and os. Just about any full case can support that, make sure you have a lot of cooling and a good power supply. A very good uUPS. Set it up so that one or two cameras record to each drive. So if a drive fails you only lose 1 or 2 cameras.

Set up a Nas for backup. Use clone cameras to write to the Nas.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @chinklop

There are several approaches I would consider for a system with such heavy storage requirements,

Plan A: Reduce the load

Use lower bit rates. VBR encoding can help but it makes your storage consumption less predictable.

By reducing bit rates you lose image quality. You can regain some of the lost image quality by:

* Reducing the frame rates
* Use H.265 encoding (this does mean you can't use Intel hardware acceleration)
* Increasing the iframe interval. I would not recommend setting it higher than 4 times the frame rate, as higher values do inhibit seeking performance.

As an alternative to reducing the bit rates across the board, what about recording low-bit-rate sub streams continuously while you record the main streams only on motion detect?

If you can reduce the load to the point it will fit on only one or two large hard drives, you've greatly reduced the cost and complexity of the system.

Plan B: Use separate disks

This is basically what @SouthernYankee recommended. Just configure BI to record specific cameras to specific drives. Blue Iris will let you configure up to 9 recording folders I believe, and each of them can be on a different hard drive. Don't use any kind of RAID or storage pooling -- it is really easy to screw up and make the situation worse in the event of disk failure.

Plan C: Build a robust and performant storage system

If none of the above is suitable and your customer requires better protection from disk failure, then you've got to build it right. RAID 5 is not even a part of the right solution.

I would honestly consider setting up a NAS running FreeNAS or Unraid, with the goal of using this as a hypervisor to run the VMS software (Blue Iris or something else) in a virtual machine on the NAS itself. I'd put in a strong Xeon or EPYC CPU and 32-64 GB of ECC memory. By running the VMS in a virtual machine on the NAS itself you should be able to map your huge storage volume to the VM without having to mount it as a network volume, and this should improve I/O performance and reliability. For the storage I would use a bunch of WD purple or Seagate Skyhawk drives (maybe even a combination of both) and configure them as a single volume using RAID-Z2 or RAID-Z3.