BI and Individual IP camera SW?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not having purchased the BI software yet, I'm wondering how it works when you might have as many as 6 or 8 different IP cams with different operating features, each from a different manufacture, and each having their own unique software? Do you just throw away the respective different SW supplied with the cams? Can this be done?

I intend to operate each cam with POE Ethernet cables and beyond that I want/need the flexibility of using different cams from different makers. Is this going to be a problem with BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not having purchased the BI software yet, I'm wondering how it works when you might have as many as 6 or 8 different IP cams with different operating features, each from a different manufacture, and each having their own unique software? Do you just throw away the respective different SW supplied with the cams? Can this be done?

I intend to operate each cam with POE Ethernet cables and beyond that I want/need the flexibility of using different cams from different makers. Is this going to be a problem with BI?
You dont need any other software...any changes to the camera settings are done via web browser in the camera itself...the camera simply sends a stream to blue iris.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You dont need any other software...any changes to the camera settings are done via web browser in the camera itself...the camera simply sends a stream to blue iris.
So your saying that BI resides on a remote server and is accessed via a license? Does the video recording reside on a remote server too? This is not sounding too good.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So your saying that BI resides on a remote server and is accessed via a license? Does the video recording reside on a remote server too? This is not sounding too good.
Who said that? BI is installed on YOUR pc....the stream is local, from your camera to the blue iris pc...

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Who said that? BI is installed on YOUR pc....the stream is local, from your camera to the blue iris pc...
You said the camera settings were done online with my web browser, and the only SW needed is BI. Therefor BI is on line via web browser? Apparently not. So, your saying that BI can manage all my different cams, including all the router devise settings, camera frame rates, operating schedules, alarms, etc??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You said the camera settings were done online with my web browser, and the only SW needed is BI. Therefor BI is on line via web browser? Apparently not. So, your saying that BI can manage all my different cams, including all the router devise settings, camera frame rates, operating schedules, alarms, etc??
Didnt say anything about online. You log into ip cameras via a web browser. This is all done LOCALLY. That is how every ip camera works.
BI does not manage the cameras. It is not a camera management tool. Its video management software. The camera simply stream video to blue iris...blue iris can receive some motion detection info from onvif cams though its own motion detection is far superior. You can also adjust some settings on some cams like brightness. Ideally this should be done in the camera itself. Its a one time thing.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Didnt say anything about online. You log into ip cameras via a web browser. This is all done LOCALLY. That is how every ip camera works.
BI does not manage the cameras. It is not a camera management tool. Its video management software. The camera simply stream video to blue iris...blue iris can receive some motion detection info from onvif cams though its own motion detection is far superior. You can also adjust some settings on some cams like brightness. Ideally this should be done in the camera itself. Its a one time thing.
OK let me see if I understand this.

I use the sw that comes with each cam to do initail set up and integration to my LAN, operation schedules, set up alarms, and the like.

I can use BI to MONITOR my video data, route video clips, archive video files etc??

Do I have this right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK let me see if I understand this.

I use the sw that comes with each cam to do initail set up and integration to my LAN, operation schedules, set up alarms, and the like.

I can use BI to MONITOR my video data, route video clips, archive video files etc??

Do I have this right?
You dont need ANY software that comes with the camera....some manufactures like hikvision have software (SADP) that simply lets you change the default ip address if the even if its in a different subnet than your router/network...
You can log directly into the camera using a web browser and set the settings.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK let me see if I understand this. I use the sw that comes with each cam to do initail set up and integration to my LAN, operation schedules, set up alarms...
Mike, all cameras come with software which is called firmware. You log into the camera with your web browser and adjust settings such as the camera's Frames Per Second (FPS), iFrame interval, WDR, Brightness, contrast along with many other settings. All of these settings control the video stream which the camera sends out to any system which connects to the camera. ONVIF manager is such a system. Blue Iris is such a system. A compatible NVR is such a system.

When you add the camera to Blue Iris to specify the camera's IP address (and a valid camera User ID and Password), Blue Iris then connects to the camera and receives the stream which the camera is emitting. You can then configure Blue Iris to do many things with the camera's video stream, including record on motion or send out email or SMS alerts along with a multitude of other functions.

Krikey Mike...Blue Iris is only $59.95: why not just buy a copy and play with it which will result in your understanding how it functions completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hang in there Mike K,,, I too am a newbie, I am lucky to have smart kids who can help me with the Blue Iris and PC stuff. I am using Currently using two Hikvision and three Reovision cameras. My son's did the out of the box config when connected to the new cameras, it took them probably two minutes per camera. I am just beginning to learn Blue Iris, running on a leftover PC for the moment, using Cat 6 cable and gigabit switches. I am so pleased I went this route !!!! I am pretty good at terminating Cat 6 cable, so, I am not completely useless. Hang in there, it's worth it !!! John