BI camera detetion

Raikkok

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I´m considering buy a BI license, but before that i have to know one thing about this wonderful software.

My setup cctv is compound by hikvision cameras (i don´t have PIR installed in my system and i want to avoid at all) and my question is related to:

BI software has the ability to differentiate between a fly/bird from a person?

I refer to motion detetion, and its configuration.

The cameras are outside my home, and i´m very tired about false alarm.

thanks in advanced

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sighthound claims to be able to do this https://www.sighthound.com/ I dont know how well it works though
With blue iris, you can play with the settings to minimize false alerts...for example i have my recording threshold set low so i never miss anything but setup a duplicate camera only for alerts where the threshold is high (the duplicate camera is not displayed on the screen)..new features coming to blue iris like line cross detection should help as well..

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oooh, I don't even do motion detection in my setup (except for the in-camera record to SD thing) and it looks interesting to me - downloading the free starter to check it out. As a web developer I really like their front page - the tracking example just draws you in - very cool.

Hope the software works as well as their website. :cool:

Raikkok

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Probably yes sighthound could be possible do that but you see the price?

only for two cameras, 60 dollars the license.. if you have more... 250 dollars.. it is too expensive for a home enviroment... at least for me..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

only for two cameras, 60 dollars the license.. if you have more... 250 dollars.. it is too expensive for a home enviroment... at least for me..
Yes I understand...however in VMS arena, that is actually very cheap...
If price is a concern, then go with blue iris and just tweak your settings..depending on the total megapixels of your cameras you may need a powerful machine for blue iris..what cameras are you running?

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I understand, but $250 for unlimited cameras is cheap, if it can do what it says. Professional detection software that does this costs thousands of dollars normally, heck even profesional NVR software is more expensive than this (and their motion detection is no better than BI).

P.S. Dang you @fenderman - you posted at the same time as me and it locked up my browser window! Had to re-type this whole thing. :tongue-new:

And you made me use that third grader tongue pic! :)

Raikkok

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My cameras are 2 Hikvision 2032-I and i want to get another one.

If the software can distinguish a bird from a person, i won´t buy the pir, as i said above, i´m not agree to get one..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The software cannot distinguish objects..it has no such algorithm...you can adjust the motion settings, size, contrast, make time, to minimize false alerts...you cannot use a pir sensor with the 2032 anyway...you need a camera with alarm in...
The way I have it setup, i almost never get a false alert and i always get everything recorded because i have separate settings for alerts and recording.
What are the specs on the computer that you will be using?

Raikkok

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My pc can run without problem BlueIris software and similar..

So you recommendation is buy a camera with i/o alamarm + pir, is that correct?

can you link me a good example of pir?

thanks

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious here, how is a pir going to be any better at distinguishing between an animal and a person? I have several pir's in use here and my dogs can set them off just as easy as any person, although they CLAIM to be able to distinguish - just haven't seen their method to be any better than tweaking motion detection.

They are good at not going off for bugs - but my bug zapper does it better. :cool:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My pc can run without problem BlueIris software and similar..

So you recommendation is buy a camera with i/o alamarm + pir, is that correct?

can you link me a good example of pir?

thanks
Note that at this time blue iris cannot be used with a pir detector attached to a hikvision camera - you need a separate connection to a sealevel device (google it)...but you can use the camera itself to trigger alerts to your email or to ivms...what are you using right now to record?
You need a camera with alarm in, like the 2632, 2532, 2732...etc...you can use almost any pir detector that alarms use...but as zxel points out that doesnt guarantee no false alarms...also you will miss recordings of people far away, cars, etc that might be valuble
Where are you using this camera? what are you trying to accomplish?

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Note that at this time blue iris cannot be used with a pir detector attached to a hikvision camera - you need a separate connection to a sealevel device (google it)...but you can use the camera itself to trigger alerts to your email or to ivms...what are you using right now to record?
You need a camera with alarm in, like the 2632, 2532, 2732...etc...you can use almost any pir detector that alarms use...but as zxel points out that doesnt guarantee no false alarms...also you will miss recordings of people far away, cars, etc that might be valuble
Where are you using this camera? what are you trying to accomplish?
All that sounds more expensive than the Sighthound software...just sayin'. :D

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All that sounds more expensive than the Sighthound software...just sayin'. :D
Agreed...if op's primary concern is human detection then testing sighthound would make sense. Even at 250 its practically free in this arena of 100 per camera licencing....If it can do as promised...not sure about its other feature sets....

Raikkok

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
my cameras are inside my field, in front of the house.

I only want to detect if a thief jump inside my field and try to get into house.. only that

But all solutions i see are problems and more problems...

pir + cam is not handle by BI

software can´t differentiate between fly and person...

so all of this shit, and i can´t be online 24 hours thought internet to see if somehitng happens in my second home..

my idea is simple:

camera, camera detects intrusers, send an alamar/email to my house, and connect to see what happen.
Only that..

in this moment i only have cameras, handle by hikvision software and record all 24 hours/day into HDD.. but if a thief jump inside.. i don´t know, the only solution in this moment would be recheck all the records inside hdd.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
my cameras are inside my field, in front of the house.

I only want to detect if a thief jump inside my field and try to get into house.. only that

But all solutions i see are problems and more problems...

pir + cam is not handle by BI

software can´t differentiate between fly and person...

so all of this shit, and i can´t be online 24 hours thought internet to see if somehitng happens in my second home..

my idea is simple:

camera, camera detects intrusers, send an alamar/email to my house, and connect to see what happen.
Only that..

in this moment i only have cameras, handle by hikvision software and record all 24 hours/day into HDD.. but if a thief jump inside.. i don´t know, the only solution in this moment would be recheck all the records inside hdd.....
You cannot get what you want for free...you need to pay for analytics...If you refuse to pay the money, then test blue iris out and spend the time adjusting the motion detection...
Mobotix makes cameras with built in pir...i hear the image quality is not that great and they also charge over 1000 per cam...you cant have your cake and eat it too...
So, either pay for software that can do what you want, or get a pir detector attach it to the camera and get alerts that way...computers are not magic...
Blue iris can be used with PIR detectors you just need a device like this http://www.sealevel.com/store/8112-usb-to-4-optically-isolated-inputs-4-form-c-relay-outputs-digital-interface-adapter.html you gotta pay to play.
If you are concerned about a break in you a better of with an alarm system to notify you of intrusion.

Raikkok

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok,

about from PIR solution

can you link me an example of a good PIR? I have no idea in PIR articles...

thanks

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
my idea is simple:

Only that..

I think you're over thinking things here, what you want to do is simple enough. I recommend a camera with cross line detection, because that feature isn't in BI (yet, however, Ken is working on it) - the camera itslef can send you an alert email on detection - no NVR software needed.