BI & Chromecast & Stunnel

Chaznolan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

Long time BI user and lurker with a issue

I cannot for the life of me figure out Stunnel and ssl. I would like to cast BI to my various monitors using Chromecast. I have installed Stunnel, and looked at the manual (I believe it is written in Sanskrit) and cannot figure it out

Can anyone help me out??

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the machine your going to cast from on the same subnet as your BI server? If so you don't need either STunnel or VPN for that those are for remote access to your BI server. If that's what your trying to setup the VPN tunnel would be setup via your router (ASUS makes this pretty easy and from there you export your config file which you then import into the OpenVPN app on your mobile device). STunnel requires modifying the config file after installing to route the traffic also it requires that you forward port 443 or some other port you choose from the WAN to the IP of your BI server. VPN is the most secure of the two but will keep you from being able to use Geofencing if you don't leave the VPN tunnel active. Either way you should also check that UPNP is disabled on your router to make sure your cameras and other devices/apps are not able to create port forwarders without you knowing about it. If you want more information on VPN I can find a post where we discussed that (mainly on ASUS routers), if you want more information on STunnel I can check my config file to see what I had to add to make that work. When I first setup STunnel the port I wanted to use was already in use on my machine via IIS so I disabled the binding for that port so I could use it with STunnel instead. That was before I setup VPN.

Chaznolan

n3wb
Reaction score
The server and Chromecasts are on the the same network I have a FIOS quantum router as my dhcp and Eero as my wifi.

Apparently quantum doesn't support vpn

Any other suggestions

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does your ISP give you an externally accessible WAN IP? Not in the 10.x 172.x 192.x ranges?

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With STunnel you change the Stunnel.conf file to
[https]
accept = LocalBlueIrisIP:443
connect = LocalBlueIrisIP:81

Where LocalBlueIrisIP is the ipaddress of your BI server 443 is the external port you open in your router and 81 is the port you have your BI server listening to connections on. Then you use your WAN IP to access the server from remote locations, you can find your WAN IP using a site like What Is My IP? Shows your real IP - IPv4 - IPv6 - WhatIsMyIP.com®

But again this is only to give you access from remote locations and isn't needed for the Chromecast sending of video to your TV

Chaznolan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have my external address. I am able to access BI both local and external via http

When I press the cast button, I get notified that Chromecast only accepts https connections

Your saying that BI should be able to cast natively?

I'm lost lol

Reaction score
I noticed the same yesterday.. Something has changed.. It used to work

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Brandanw

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone manage to get this working yet? Is it because we need to have signed certificates perhaps? Every post regarding this issue is just ignored or never resolved.

rastam4n

n3wb
Reaction score
Where are you guys seeing the chromecast button? I cast using chrome browser would love to do it direct from BI

rastam4n

n3wb
Reaction score
Of course that is the first place I looked . while I can find it in the "whats new" I cannot find any information on how to find the option or how to use it.