BI clean install

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
folks

A month ago, I backed up blue iris configs before changing some camera settings and when I restored them, things have not been so smooth. BI, despite using quick sync correctly seems to interfere with other apps running on this PC. The CPU doesn't show a spike but somehow BI seems to take cycles from the other apps every 2-3 mins and I think I want to attempt a clean install. My question is - should I try to backup and restore any settings or completely set up everything from scratch? Would there be anything else I should try before going through this process which is going to take me at least 2 hours?

Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI should be on a standalone computer.

Clean install of windows.
Clean install of BI with not using the backed up configuration.

Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Having just done a clean install I recommend also go into each camera and do a settings export. My reason for the reinstall was something goofy in BI causing crashes on startup sometimes.

The problem was somewhere in my config so restoring the full backup caused problems. Starting from scratch and reimporting each camera worked well (so far).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I did a clean install but not sure how clean it is. I even deleted the old directories where the application was installed. Upon reinstall all the camera showed up with their settings which was surprising.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So I did a clean install but not sure how clean it is. I even deleted the old directories where the application was installed. Upon reinstall all the camera showed up with their settings which was surprising.
Thats because BI stores the config in the registry which you didn’t mention in your cleanup?

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it worthwhile cleaning the registry too or not required?

Also I'd like to start from an empty database and not use the older clips and recordings. How do I delete everything from within the BI console

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
A true clean install would be reinstalling windows without preserving user files, etc.

To clear BI: uninstall it, then go in the registry and delete the Perspective Software folder. Make sure you deactivate the license in BI before uninstall.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reinstalling the entire Windows OS you mean? This is my primary PC too so that will take awfully long

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Correct. Otherwise uninstall BI, delete the database folder, delete the registry keys. Reboot. Then reinstall.

I was getting the blue screen of death quite regularly so something in windows was goofed up. But the recommended best practice is to reinstall Windows clean and have a dedicated PC for BI.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have issues with other software on the system, it is likely due to Blue Iris exhausting CPU time, memory bandwidth, or disk I/O. I don't see how reinstalling BI would help unless it is just to force you to reconfigure everything more efficiently.

It is easy to delete Blue Iris's registry settings *without reinstalling the entire OS. I'm not at a proper PC at the moment so I can't give steps, but I'm sure you could google to find out how.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did a clean install and have zeroed in on the problem. It only occurs when running BI in service mode. How do I troubleshoot this? Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Which version of Windows do you have? Hardware acceleration is known to fail if running in service mode on Windows 7.

Another possibility, especially applicable if you are using an older Blue Iris version, is that you might have chosen the "Intel + VPP" hardware acceleration option which I once tested to cause extreme resource use even leading to mouse lag on my system. This has long since changed in Blue Iris 5.x, but if you are running an older version ...

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Windows server 2019 and only using Intel acceleration. Why should service mode vs admin console have any differences with hardware acceleraiton?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No idea. It is just the way it is with Windows 7 and Blue Iris for some reason. I can't even say if it is Intel's fault or Microsoft's or Blue Iris's.

Server 2019 is plenty new enough and shouldn't have an issue with hardware acceleration with BI as a service. You could always confirm that hardware acceleration is working by looking at usage graphs in task manager.