BI Console won't start

cba123

n3wb
Reaction score
I had BI 5.0.6.11 running as a service and was always able to start the non-admin console (BlueIris.exe) as a regular non-Win10-admin user since Dec 2019.

Last month, I downloaded and upgraded to BI 5.2.6.5. After the upgrade, the console (BlueIris.exe) will not start as a non-Win10-admin user, and I now have to start the console using BlueIrisAdmin.exe and must enter a Win10 admin ID and password for the console to start up.

I have since upgraded to BI 5.3.1.6 and the non-admin console (BlueIris.exe) will still not start up.

Anyone else having this same problem?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had BI 5.0.6.11 running as a service and was always able to start the non-admin console (BlueIris.exe) as a regular non-Win10-admin user since Dec 2019.

Last month, I downloaded and upgraded to BI 5.2.6.5. After the upgrade, the console (BlueIris.exe) will not start as a non-Win10-admin user, and I now have to start the console using BlueIrisAdmin.exe and must enter a Win10 admin ID and password for the console to start up.

I have since upgraded to BI 5.3.1.6 and the non-admin console (BlueIris.exe) will still not start up.

Anyone else having this same problem?
There are at least 10 threads on this. Easy fix, you need to properly configure BI.

cba123

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess I must be blind because I couldn't find 10 recent threads trying to start BlueIris.exe as a regular user. Can you point me to one of the other 10 threads with the actual solution.
Are you saying this is somehow related to the Blue Iris User logon window prompt when you uncheck the "Require run-as Administrator for the console or when stand-alone" under the BI Startup tab?

I am trying to start the application as a non-admin user by double-clicking on the BlueIris.exe. The splash screen appears for a second (says Good Afternoon, and then closes back down without starting. In Task Manager, the "Blue Iris Video Security and WebCam Software" continues to appear in Task Manager as a Background Process since I have it running as a service. I just tried to uncheck the "Require run-as Administrator for the console or when stand-alone" startup option, but I don't get the Blue Iris User logon window prompt or anything, the app just closes back down when I try to start the app.

BlueIris.exe will start if I right-click and choose Run-As Administrator, or I double-click BlueIrisAdmin.exe. WIth both, I get the Win10 User Access Control popup asking for Win10 Admin credentials, and then the application opens.

cba123

n3wb
Reaction score
I just rechecked, and the Everyone group still has Full Control to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris as per the BI user guide.

And I have both an Admin account and a non-Admin user account created under BI Settings, Users

I also temporarily disabled Windows Defender Real-Time scan and BlueIris.exe still fails to start up (other than showing the brief Good Afternoon splash) before closing back down.