BI constantly capturing motion outside of green marked zone?

doodles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used it be in version 4.0.X.X had everything configured, updated a few weeks ago to 4.4.X.X. Motion capture operating normally in marked areas (green brush) in 4.0, but now after a few weeks with 4.4 I'm convinced either I've configured it horribly wrong or it's bugging on me.

First I started trying out with zone crossing (A-B) to cut down on shadows, but it's super unreliable so I've returned to basic single marked off zone.

Here are my settings:

When running it's falsely triggered and recorded clip with "test run video through motion detector" selected:

Then when pausing the video playback:

It's just a bunch of sporadic false recorded clips like this with motion activated by passing cars that are clearly not in the green masked zone. I have "highlight motion" enabled so you can see what's triggering it above and it's so far outside the masked zone, not sure why it keeps activating.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Assuming no bugs, the only thing I can think of that may be causing this is your profiles setup. When viewing clips with masks, the masks you'll see in your clips are dependent upon what the current profile is set to while viewing the clip. For example, let's say you only use two profiles: 1=daytime and 3=night on a schedule. Further, let's say you record a clip at night on profile 3 (which has different mask settings than say profile one). In the morning when you review the night (profile 3) clip you'll see the masks that you have set for profile one because profile one is active. If you watch that same clip when profile three is active, then you'll see the masks for profile three. So in your case, it might be possible that your camera is recording clips based on it's own schedule rather than using the global schedule--if in fact this is happening, then it's possible that you're recording on a profile that is not currently active globally but you're seeing the mask in the video that is set for the current active profile. Make sense?

If this is the case for you, check your global and camera specific schedules to see if you have inadvertently made a mistake in your scheduling setup.

Good luck!

PS, nice stone driveway!!!

Last edited:

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you sure it's activity outside the green causing the triggered recordings? Wind and scattered clouds (passing overhead) on a more/less clear day might change the contrast level just enough to tigger a recording, but still be bright outside.

This has happened to me and it took awhile before I realized the cause.

If your 100% sure it's not clouds I would send Ken at BI an email with an attached video clip.

Tiger

doodles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you sure it's activity outside the green causing the triggered recordings? Wind and scattered clouds (passing overhead) on a more/less clear day might change the contrast level just enough to tigger a recording, but still be bright outside.

This has happened to me and it took awhile before I realized the cause.

If your 100% sure it's not clouds I would send Ken at BI an email with an attached video clip.

Tiger
Thanks for the reply.
It's always a possibility, but I've never had this many false positives when there are virtually no clouds/shadows present. Will keep fiddling with it I suppose.

Assuming no bugs, the only thing I can think of that may be causing this is your profiles setup. When viewing clips with masks, the masks you'll see in your clips are dependent upon what the current profile is set to while viewing the clip. For example, let's say you only use two profiles: 1=daytime and 3=night on a schedule. Further, let's say you record a clip at night on profile 3 (which has different mask settings than say profile one). In the morning when you review the night (profile 3) clip you'll see the masks that you have set for profile one because profile one is active. If you watch that same clip when profile three is active, then you'll see the masks for profile three. So in your case, it might be possible that your camera is recording clips based on it's own schedule rather than using the global schedule--if in fact this is happening, then it's possible that you're recording on a profile that is not currently active globally but you're seeing the mask in the video that is set for the current active profile. Make sense?

If this is the case for you, check your global and camera specific schedules to see if you have inadvertently made a mistake in your scheduling setup.

Good luck!

PS, nice stone driveway!!!

Thanks, I see what you're saying but I was viewing those clips when the exact profile that triggered it was active, not at a different time. All the cams are on a global schedule so that can't be it. I might just wipe it and reconfigure, maybe registry settings between versions are mucking things up.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
did u over compensate at the very top edge when you set the marked off areas?

I was having isses with mine at the VERY TOP of the screen. I have trees and the wind was setting it off even though when i was in the window to set the green shade it was showing up as nothing. Switc to Rectangle, hold the CTRL button and click and drag past the edge of the top of the window. Im not guaranteeing it'll work but i did it will all the edges and i've noticed a big difference in the trigger activation.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another suggestion would be to exempt the area of the top right where the bushes are. Minor movement there but be setting it off and you don't realize it.

doodles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
did u over compensate at the very top edge when you set the marked off areas?

I was having isses with mine at the VERY TOP of the screen. I have trees and the wind was setting it off even though when i was in the window to set the green shade it was showing up as nothing. Switc to Rectangle, hold the CTRL button and click and drag past the edge of the top of the window. Im not guaranteeing it'll work but i did it will all the edges and i've noticed a big difference in the trigger activation.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't seem to help.

I still get tons of false alerts for passing cars outside the green mask. I've clear the mask entirely and re-drew, even deleted the entire cam and re-did all configs for it. But it's just constant alerts of cars outside the masked area.

I'm not sure what to do, feels hopeless. Maybe I'll do a full uninstall and total re-configure later.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does motion still set off the camera even if you've masked the entire scene?

doodles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does motion still set off the camera even if you've masked the entire scene?
You mean if there are 0 green marked zones? Yes, even without green marked zones it's triggering.

I thought you need to mark the areas of interest in order for anything to trigger?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, I mean if you purposely mask the entire scene: by selecting "Use zones and hot spot" and then removing all the green from the scene. This way you're masking everything (nothing should trigger even though you have the motion sensor activated...this would be one way to begin troubleshooting. Leaving "Use zones and hot spot" unchecked would make your entire scene motion sensing.

doodles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, I mean if you purposely mask the entire scene: by selecting "Use zones and hot spot" and then removing all the green from the scene. This way you're masking everything (nothing should trigger even though you have the motion sensor activated...this would be one way to begin troubleshooting. Leaving "Use zones and hot spot" unchecked would make your entire scene motion sensing.
I think we're describing the same thing, this is my current config and it's still activating:

How it's still getting triggered and recording, I have no idea. Thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What exact version are you currently running? Did you ensure that there is no hotspot or any other zone selected for the area you dont want triggered?
Also make sure you have not enabled use camera motion trigger as that will use the cameras internal motion trigger to trigger BI.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also make sure you have not enabled use camera motion trigger as that will use the cameras internal motion trigger to trigger BI.
I hadn't thought of this because one of the first captures doodles posted shows the motion sensing markings on the passing white car....but doodles could have "motion sensor" and "camera's digital input or motion" selected--good catch Fenderman, even if that doesn't turn out to be the case.

doodles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What exact version are you currently running? Did you ensure that there is no hotspot or any other zone selected for the area you dont want triggered?
Latest 4.4.2. Yes all zones are cleared, I already deleted and reconfigured the cam from scratch to further ensure that.

But, I didn't think to check cam's OEM UI. While motion detection is not enabled, this "linkage" setting is enabled:

I'll try disabling and see what happens, thanks guys.

Attachments

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From the looks of it I don't think it's your camera UI doodles....check Blue Iris camera properties > Trigger > and make sure both "Camera's digital input or motion" and "Global DIO input bits" are NOT selected for all the profiles you have that camera assigned to.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What beep said, you dont have to disable it in the camera, just in BI.

doodles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From the looks of it I don't think it's your camera UI doodles....check Blue Iris camera properties > Trigger > and make sure both "Camera's digital input or motion" and "Global DIO input bits" are NOT selected for all the profiles you have that camera assigned to.
It's not selected in any profiles, only the normal "Motion sensor" (first check box) is selected. Thanks again

doodles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What beep said, you dont have to disable it in the camera, just in BI.
It was never enabled in BI to begin with, hmm. I use bicommand, and there was an issue with it and my global schedule as a result of a registry conflict.

Perhaps it's the same issue here and I just need a clean install, which is bizarre as I've already deleted the cam (although used the same name).