BI CPU Useage

Baje

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have a current system with 44 Geovision IP cams, Mix between 1.3,3 and 5MP. What im trying to do is setup a viewing station (ie no recording or motion detecion) on an i5 and i7 machine. By the time i get to camera 3 added my cpu useage has hit the roof! The i7 is definately handling it better but still running into the same issue. Ive tried everything in the troubleshooting guide in the help.

Both PCs are Ivy Bridge Chipsets.

I also have another installation with 5 cameras with a i7 Haswell chipset and with recording and motion detection is running at 10-13% cpu. I cant even get one camera to run at that useage with the others....

Can anyone shed some light??

Thanks!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have a current system with 44 Geovision IP cams, Mix between 1.3,3 and 5MP. What im trying to do is setup a viewing station (ie no recording or motion detecion) on an i5 and i7 machine. By the time i get to camera 3 added my cpu useage has hit the roof! The i7 is definately handling it better but still running into the same issue. Ive tried everything in the troubleshooting guide in the help.

Both PCs are Ivy Bridge Chipsets.

I also have another installation with 5 cameras with a i7 Haswell chipset and with recording and motion detection is running at 10-13% cpu. I cant even get one camera to run at that useage with the others....

Can anyone shed some light??

Thanks!
I'm no BI user but I see a lot of discussion in these forums, but the common answer to your CPU utilization question normally seems to be the following.

"Make sure you are using direct to disk on each camera, set fps to 15 and select 10fps for the live preview rate."

Another note from the other thread was the following
"Do NOT use the nvidia card. it only helps for displaying the cameras and only matters if you display lots of cams...what you want is to use the intel HD graphics and enable hardware acceleration. as an example I can run about 12 cameras using a total 30mp on an i7-4770 at about 22 percent cpu...you need to properly configure blue iris."

Both the above posts are from @fenderman and he has posted those comments mult times regarding CPU utilization within BI and they typically generate positive "That did it" results.

Hope this helps - if not, I'm sure one of the BI power users will chime in shortly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Note direct to dis does not work in demo mode. If you just want to view you may want to stream the substreams...

Baje

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the help thus far, im not actually recording so would direct to disc make a difference?