BI Crashing, might be another memory issue

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have read a couple of the other posts talking about big memory consumption but I don't see any resolution to the problem.

The problem for me is BI crashes after between a few hours and a few days. Windows 10 pro does not crash.

So my setup is BI 5.5.13 (and other versions do the same thing) running on i7-8700K with 16 GB of memory, WIn 10 pro with 14 cameras about half 4MP and the other half 8MP. Recording full-time direct to disc, sub streams enabled CPU running it at about 10%. BI is consuming almost all the 16 GB of memory.

I have a sister system running the same version of BI and it is only using about 7 GB of its 16 GB and it does not crash.

Where do I start??

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The sister system is decoding and recording (on motion) the same cameras as the problem child system is decoding/recording

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No. and that is what I am messing with now. The sister system uses the onboard Intel GC.
The failing system uses a GTX960 with 2 monitors connected, normally 1 monitor is powered on but sometimes no monitor is powered on and sometimes 2 monitors are powered on.
Im running 445.75 driver and just upgaded to latest 512.15 and waiting to see how long this one runs.
One other thing I found was that there was Remote Utilities Host program installed and hogging memory so I uninstalled it and now system is only using 4 of the 16GB of memory, but BI still crashes, just takes longer.
This system does do Windows updates, which Im thinking I need to stop once I get is stable.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New development:
I removed the GTX960 and just ran 1 monitor off the Intel GC and the BI crashed. So doesent sound like GC/drivers is the problem?
I noticed something else.
I have 3 8TB drives in the system of which the cameras are equally divided amongst. I have each drive delete after its allocation is reached.
(I have 95% of the drive allocated, 360GB free)
One of the drives goes to 100% after an hour or so after starting BI..
The other 2 are bumping along at ~10%.
The drive in question (E:) is the only one that has its allocation full at this point..
I'm trying to think of the next troubleshooting move, replace the drive maybe and see what happens?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe free up more disk space on that drive.
You could possibly using up ram as a swap file for the disk being too full.
Or some shit like that,
Full Disk bad,
Free space Good.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I thought that the BI disk allocation/delete function was supposed to do that automatically?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes but it needs free space to " do it's thing"
SO many variables.
Is it a surveilance drive. Is it failing drive perhaps?
are you loading up the system with excess work by moving recorded files around to other drive locations?
Has the C:\ drive it self got free space?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If both systems use i7-8700, then the device manager(mangler) should show driver details on each system

Screenshot 2022-04-17 130805.pngScreenshot 2022-04-17 130647.png

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I now suspect a defective drive.
That it cant delete files or delete correctly and that its backing up into system memory.
see attached log file second line, says "2525 Locked" for this drive, what ever that is??
next stop is to stop cameras recording to that drive only and see what happens.
Its not a surveilance class drive, seagate standard desktop version.
I am done buying Seagate drives.. (and desktop class)
I need to search this forum to see what brand is favored..

Attachments

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Problem solved,

Was indeed a drive that was going bad, kinda working and kinda not.
It would go to 100% utilization and stay there for long periods of time.
I figured it couldn't write the clips correctly and they were just been stockpiled in memory and filling it up till BI crashed.

Thanks everybody for all your help! Great forum.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
We are running in to this with a newer batch of lenovo desktops. They all have Seagate drives in them.
They will slow down on boot up, but seem to run fine after boot up. After a while they will get to the point
of slow all the time. A replacement with another cloned drive runs fine.
I really think Seagate had a batch of bad drives. Hopefully not more then a batch.

Yes, a WD purple will outlast a consumer grade drive by at least 4 times if not more from my experiences.