BI crashing windows 10 every couple of hours

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had similar crashing issues which stopped when I set BI to run as a service.
did it stop or do you not notice it because the service restarts it

GBJames

n3wb
Reaction score
did it stop or do you not notice it because the service restarts it
I can't be sure but I _think_ it stopped. Or at least the only BI reboots I've noticed are from automatic updates I have set. If BI has crashed and recovered it has done so quietly enough for me to not notice.

GBJames

n3wb
Reaction score
If it's crashing the crash should be recorded in Windows Event Viewer.
From that point of view, it looks like the crashes are gone. (Unless I'm not using it the Event Viewer right.)

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did but sadly they aren't of much help, I may end up buying a new pc.
When the process crashed Windows most likely saved off a crash dump. This crash dump should be far more useful to the developer as they can open it to see what was happening when it crashed. You can find it under "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" and it should be named something like "BlueIris.exe.[Process ID @ crash time].dmp".

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When the process crashed Windows most likely saved off a crash dump. This crash dump should be far more useful to the developer as they can open it to see what was happening when it crashed. You can find it under "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" and it should be named something like "BlueIris.exe.[Process ID @ crash time].dmp".
One word of warning though, while this dump is a mini dump and won't include the full heap, it can include anything in memory that Blue Iris has access to, be it your camera's username/password, SMTP username/password for email notifications, etc... though that is more likely if Blue Iris happened to crash at the very moment it was authenticating with a camera or sending an email notification.

GBJames

n3wb
Reaction score
Back when I was crashing I did just that and sent the crash report to Ken at BI Software. He's the one who suggested I set BI to run as a service.

bucko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had this issue for the past several weeks. I found that the BI.exe process was crashing. I would just restart the process and BI would work again for a few hours. But nothing made it stable again.

Finally I restarted in safe mode and ran BI. It was stable all day and did not crash. So now I'm thinking driver. Strangely enough the next day I rebooted the PC in normal mode. BI is running stable for a week now. Why? Who knows. But It is stable again. So I suggest you simply try this and see for yourself.