BI database compact repair causing 1 hour 20 minute video loss

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
  1. My BI database is on an NVMe drive separate from my Windows NVMe drive.
  2. My video files write to the same NVMe drive.
  3. The video files stay on the NEW folder until 12 hours or 450GB, then they are offloaded to my NAS.
  4. The stored files on the NAS stay on there until 8TB. There are 3971 files on there currently.
  5. After 8TB they are moved onto an external USB drive connected to the NAS device limited to 9TB. There are 4509 files on there.
  6. Database folder is 11.2 GB.
  7. I don't have a lot of tiny files and I am using "Combine or Cut"
Lately, every night at 2AM I lose recordings until after 3AM. Looking back at older clips this behavior started around 2 weeks ago it was losing maybe 15 minutes of recording then it's gotten to the point now where it's 1 hour 20 minutes. I ran a manual compact / repair and it took a long time so I terminated BI.

What's the best remedy at this point? Should I just delete and regenerate the database?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
  1. My BI database is on an NVMe drive separate from my Windows NVMe drive.
  2. My video files write to the same NVMe drive.
  3. The video files stay on the NEW folder until 12 hours or 450GB, then they are offloaded to my NAS.
  4. The stored files on the NAS stay on there until 8TB. There are 3971 files on there currently.
  5. After 8TB they are moved onto an external USB drive connected to the NAS device limited to 9TB. There are 4509 files on there.
  6. Database folder is 11.2 GB.
  7. I don't have a lot of tiny files and I am using "Combine or Cut"
Lately, every night at 2AM I lose recordings until after 3AM. Looking back at older clips this behavior started around 2 weeks ago it was losing maybe 15 minutes of recording then it's gotten to the point now where it's 1 hour 20 minutes. I ran a manual compact / repair and it took a long time so I terminated BI.

What's the best remedy at this point? Should I just delete and regenerate the database?
What version of BI are you on? Did you install an update that may have caused this? The process should only take a few seconds.

Last edited:

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm on 5.6.9.8 which I updated to a few days ago. Prior to that I probably updated BI around the timeframe that I started seeing the issues. Not sure if it's related but would seem so since I've made no real changes to BI. At this point very tempted to delete and regenerate, what do you think?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is related. Lot's of threads here about recent updates whacking out the DB and the solution is to delete the DB, so yes a delete and regen is needed. You will lose all the alert clip thumbnails in the process, but the video files will remain.

Or rollback to a prior version.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on 5.6.9.8 which I updated to a few days ago. Prior to that I probably updated BI around the timeframe that I started seeing the issues. Not sure if it's related but would seem so since I've made no real changes to BI. At this point very tempted to delete and regenerate, what do you think?
I would delete and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your DB is 11.2 GB? That's pretty big. Plus you are doing a LOT of moving things around. If you are using BI to do those moves, that is a lot of wasted CPU doing moves.

Putting video from BI on the NVMe drive is really not recommended. It should go on an HDD that is surveillance rated. It should be big enough to hold all of the files as long as you need retention.

I have 22 cams writing to three 10TB WD purple drives. The video stays until space is needed. I have BI delete, not move. I do not move any video files. This holds about 20 days of video for me. My DB is 1.6GB and the compact takes less than one minute. I run that once a week on Thursdays at 10AM. I do not run it at night as that is when perps are the most likely to be out and about in my neighborhood. The last thing I want is for my system to be blind at night.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 22 cams writing to three 10TB WD purple drives. The video stays until space is needed. I have BI delete, not move. I do not move any video files. This holds about 20 days of video for me. My DB is 1.6GB and the compact takes less than one minute. I run that once a week on Thursdays at 10AM. I do not run it at night as that is when perps are the most likely to be out and about in my neighborhood. The last thing I want is for my system to be blind at night.
This is important, I also run the compact only once a week.

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I deleted and regenerated the database. It's now 131 megabytes. Compact regen happens in the blink of an eye now. Looks like it was update related, thanks.

I know the storage scenario isn't optimal but I've been hesitant to try writing 25 cameras directly to NAS. I'm going to rebuild from the mini PC to a conventional PC with local drives.