Reaction score
Trying to figure out my alert and Deepstack analysis timing

So I have a camera that uses IVS intrusion via ONVIF to BI

it has a 15 sec 'pre trigger buffer'

and a + 10 images per sec setting in AI

7:46:04 beginning of video

7:46:19 alert shows on timeline

7:46:28 is shown on the alert jpg image that is burned

There is a car sitting so the alert was canceled with 'occupied' because the person had already walked out of frame

from 7:46:19 until 7:46:21 the person is behind the car

from 7:46:21 until 7:46:27 test and tune of the video finds the person, who is now visible and not behind car

I figured it would be looking at the snapshots every second from 7:46:19 until 7:46:28 so it should have set an alert

What timing setting can I change to help this??

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Try cutting the pre-buffer down to five seconds. My understanding, for whatever that may be worth, is that DS starts analyzing when BI is triggered. There is the "when triggered" box but I'm not sure if that is really accurate in terms of DS analysis. Can't hurt to give cutting it down it a try.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Something that’s been helpful for me while testing is to see which frames are actually sent to Deepstack.

If you playback an alert, then right click > Testing & Tuning > Analyze with Deepstack and then play or step through the video, the frames that were sent to DS for processing have a blue border.

That can help tell you the first frame sent to DS, and the adjust your motion detection or timing settings if needed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something that’s been helpful for me while testing is to see which frames are actually sent to Deepstack.

If you playback an alert, then right click > Testing & Tuning > Analyze with Deepstack and then play or step through the video, the frames that were sent to DS for processing have a blue border.

That can help tell you the first frame sent to DS, and the adjust your motion detection or timing settings if needed.
Was there anything else you needed to select? I select DS and the rectangles show up, but nothing else. I am recording cont+triggers.

Mine doesn't show a blue border when I play it back in slow motion or step through?

JL-F1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not seeing a blue border either.

I has assumed the snapshot in the alerts folder was the first frame sent to DS, maybe its the last.

It would be nice if the snapshot folder had all of the frames used.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Was there anything else you needed to select? I select DS and the rectangles show up, but nothing else. I am recording cont+triggers.

Mine doesn't show a blue border when I play it back in slow motion or step through?
BI support said there are a few requirements for the "blue border" to work.

He said you must be using direct-to-disc, and your recording needs to be set to continuous, when triggered, or continuous + triggered. A setting like when alerted doesn't work. And then enable Testing & Tuning > Analyze with DeepStack. Here's what the blue border looks like when I step back and forth between two frames.

blue_border.gif

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I am meeting all of those requirements. Strange.

I tried playback on one of my cams I keep at continuous recording and only mainstream on that camera and another camera that is continuous + triggered. I get the Deepstack rectangles but not the blue border.

Last edited:

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am running 5.4.7.9 with "when triggered" and then I right click and follow the instructions above.

There must be a trick to posting mp4 files as it is not showing up for me after I post…

Attachments

Last edited:

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, here is a snapshot of the video. Not as effective, but I can’t view the mp4 video after I post
DSOutlines.jpg

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, I am meeting all of those requirements. Strange.

I tried playback on one of my cams I keep at continuous recording and only mainstream on that camera and another camera that is continuous + triggered. I get the Deepstack rectangles but not the blue border.
Same here, Not getting the blue borders, What is strange is when I am trying the Test & tune option and playing it slow or frame by frame it seems like DeepStack was able to analyze when doing this..

1623346919377.png

However yet Deepstack missed it all together when this truck passed by, My feeling is its the same for my LPR cams as the car is only in frame for a brief moment and goes out of frame. Maybe deepstack is not quick enough ? How to correct this for LPR?

1623347005680.png

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It seems more reliable to scrub through the video slowly, frame by frame. When I play it back at 1x, I often won't see the blue border. It must be a system resources bottleneck, especially with DS analyzing each frame.

JL-F1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't see the blue borders at any speed. I recorded for awhile at continuous + triggered and nothing

Someone who can:
How far into your pre-buffer do the blue frames start? right at end? 2 secs before the end?
or do they start a few seconds after the event start after the pre-buffer?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't see the blue borders at any speed. I recorded for awhile at continuous + triggered and nothing

Someone who can:
How far into your pre-buffer do the blue frames start? right at end? 2 secs before the end?
or do they start a few seconds after the event start after the pre-buffer?

The first "blue border" frame occurs at the motion leading edge, which for me is just following my 2 second pre-trigger buffer. Then the next "blue border" frame occurs one second later, and so on.

I noticed some objects were traveling so fast that they were already out of view by the time the second image was sent to DS, one second later. I asked support about this and Ken said that he might add an option to skip that first frame (motion leading edge) so that the actual trigger image could be sent to DS instead. That hasn't been added yet, but maybe in a future update. In the meantime, I'm adjusting my motion settings to account for it.

JL-F1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wonder if I don't get the blue borders because I don't have sub-streams? Which also makes continuous+triggered superfluous, but I tried it to see if the border showed

before you ask :), I don't use substreams because it only changes my cpu from 11% to 7% which makes no difference on temps/fans etc and lets me see the five camera view in higher rez always without the delayed switch from sub to full

Fubduck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is from an email exchange I had with Ken back in May:
The blue boxes tell me these were indeed static objects.

It looks like the one that's yellow caused the alert.
Here is the picture in question:
West.20210504_100001.872512.9.20055.jpg

I do not use substreams. This was an audio triggered event.

JL-F1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I finally figured out my issue, now that we have the new deepstack status page:

I have a car sitting in the view and for some reason, sometimes ,it is not marked as stationary by BI. On those occasions BI sees car and flags the alert as car and stops the extra image analysis after the first frame.

Now that I read the instruction page a million times I finally get it, it you put anything in the cancel the analysis will continue even if it finds a required object, so I put 'bear' in there and now it sees car and continues for the 10 extra frames I asked for and finds the person also

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have never seen blue boxes even though I have stationary vehicles in the camera. Not sure why, thought I had it set to Detect/i.gnore static objects.