BI for Baby Monitor

mikeyno

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using a Kodak Baby Monitor that has a dedicated parent unit. Since then, we've installed several hard-wired EmpireTech cameras (mostly 5442-equivalents, thanks @EMPIRETECANDY !) around the house, including the baby's rooms. I'd like to use BI on an iPad to replace the Kodak monitor (don't like feeds going to the cloud).

I've already got BI up and running for all the cameras in the house and I love it. However, one thing that the Kodak monitor does that I can't figure out how to do in BI is what Kodak calls "VOX" (voice activation). Their "VOX" feature has 4 settings that control what level the audio from the camera has to be before it starts playing the audio on the parent unit. I think this is more like a "squelch" setting or a threshold filter that disables the sound output unless a certain noise threshold is reached.

I might be able to change some settings on the camera itself to accomplish the same feature as Kodak's VOX, but I'd also like to have the camera recording all audio and video 24x7, which it's presently doing. Is there some way to clone the camera and setup an audio threshold?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using a Kodak Baby Monitor that has a dedicated parent unit. Since then, we've installed several hard-wired EmpireTech cameras (mostly 5442-equivalents, thanks @EMPIRETECANDY !) around the house, including the baby's rooms. I'd like to use BI on an iPad to replace the Kodak monitor (don't like feeds going to the cloud).

I've already got BI up and running for all the cameras in the house and I love it. However, one thing that the Kodak monitor does that I can't figure out how to do in BI is what Kodak calls "VOX" (voice activation). Their "VOX" feature has 4 settings that control what level the audio from the camera has to be before it starts playing the audio on the parent unit. I think this is more like a "squelch" setting or a threshold filter that disables the sound output unless a certain noise threshold is reached.

I might be able to change some settings on the camera itself to accomplish the same feature as Kodak's VOX, but I'd also like to have the camera recording all audio and video 24x7, which it's presently doing. Is there some way to clone the camera and setup an audio threshold?
This can be done with the blue iris android app (perhaps also with the ios app). Long press the speaker icon and you will get squelch options.

leighgodby

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for suggesting this app! We’ve been struggling with our baby monitor for a long time, and this app saved us a lot of time.
My wife and I also wanted extended access to the camera and be able to see what was going on not only from the parent’s unit but also from a phone. We got out monitor from Bäst i test and didn’t know whether it was possible. Now we can see what our baby’s doing at any time and make sure that the nurse behaves correctly. We had no choice except to hire a nurse, and we wanted to ensure that we’d chosen the best one.

Last edited: