BI "holding "MAC address?

Dewcal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Am not sure if the title is the correct terminology.

I had an EZVIZ DB1, with a fixed IP address allocated by the router, storing video through BI (5.6.8.4) without any issues. As my house is blessed with thick walls, the Wi-Fi connection to the DB1 was patchy so I decided to replace same with a POE DoorBird D1101v. Having deleted the EZVIZ camera from BI, I allocated the DoorBird with the same IP address as the EZVIZ had used.

The DoorBird app allows you to search for a device to be restored to factory defaults if required. My issue is that I cannot see any devices when I get tot this page. If I remove the BI Win 10 PC from the network (by removing the cable) the device appears on this page.

This would suggest that something on the PC - which only runs BI and Homeseer - is preventing the DoorBird from being recognised in the app.

Can anyone advise what the issue may be and how I may remedy this please?

TIA

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Am not sure if the title is the correct terminology.

I had an EZVIZ DB1, with a fixed IP address allocated by the router, storing video through BI (5.6.8.4) without any issues.
There are two types of IP addressing: "static" and "dynamic"

Can you provide any more details regarding the "fixed IP address" allocated by your router? Did you simply plug in the device, and it received an IP from the router (dynamic). Or did you modify the DHCP settings in the router to assign/reserve a specific IP address of your choosing to the device, based on the devices MAC address (static)?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.

I would assign all cams, doorbells, etc. on my LAN a unique, static IP that is OUTSIDE of my router's DHCP pool. IOW, if my router is 192.168.1.1, then I set the DHCP pool so that 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.199 is for DHCP and 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.254 is for me to assign to my device.

You must log into that camera's / device's webGUI, under "network", "TCP/IP" or similar and configure that IP and make it "static".

Also, be advised that since Blue Iris version 5.6.2.1 of Sept. 27, 2022 (I think) Blue Iris can detect device MAC addresses and ignore IP's so go to that tab in BI's "Camera settings" and put in the IP that you assigned to the cam as previosly mentioned and NOT detect/use the device MAC address.

Write down your IP assignments. I actually put the last 3 numbers of the IP addresses in my cam's name like "Side Gate 204" or "Front Porch 202".

Dewcal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are two types of IP addressing: "static" and "dynamic"

Can you provide any more details regarding the "fixed IP address" allocated by your router? Did you simply plug in the device, and it received an IP from the router (dynamic). Or did you modify the DHCP settings in the router to assign/reserve a specific IP address of your choosing to the device, based on the devices MAC address (static)?
Spaceman,
Thanks for reply. I bind an IP address to a device MAC in the Router so static.

Dewcal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1^^.

I would assign all cams, doorbells, etc. on my LAN a unique, static IP that is OUTSIDE of my router's DHCP pool. IOW, if my router is 192.168.1.1, then I set the DHCP pool so that 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.199 is for DHCP and 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.254 is for me to assign to my device.

You must log into that camera's / device's webGUI, under "network", "TCP/IP" or similar and configure that IP and make it "static".

Also, be advised that since Blue Iris version 5.6.2.1 of Sept. 27, 2022 (I think) Blue Iris can detect device MAC addresses and ignore IP's so go to that tab in BI's "Camera settings" and put in the IP that you assigned to the cam as previosly mentioned and NOT detect/use the device MAC address.

Write down your IP assignments. I actually put the last 3 numbers of the IP addresses in my cam's name like "Side Gate 204" or "Front Porch 202".
Tony,
Thanks for reply. I have a pool of IP addresses I bind to the MAC addresses reserved on the router - I keep a small pool available for visitors etc. I like the idea of the last three digits in the name - would save me looking up the ARP table each time I have a query!

I suspect that my issue lies with the BI feature you mention but as the camera has been deleted I no longer have access to the "Camera Settings".

I am wondering if the MAC has been stored in a cache or in the registry or?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Spaceman,
Thanks for reply. I bind an IP address to a device MAC in the Router so static.
Did you delete the static IP reservation of the previous device in the router?

More often than not, you need to refresh the DHCP service after you delete the old reservation, and before you add a new reservation for an identical IP. The method for doing this may vary depending on router model.

Dewcal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you delete the static IP reservation of the previous device in the router?

More often than not, you need to refresh the DHCP service after you delete the old reservation, and before you add a new reservation for an identical IP. The method for doing this may vary depending on router model.
Spaceman,

Thanks for reply and yes, I had deleted the the static IP address and refreshed the router.