BI in Virtual Box

heitjer

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys,
I am about to purchase the HP EliteDesk 800 G2 - Intel Core i7 6700 (3.4 GHz) 8 GB, 2TB HD based on fenderman's recommendations. It comes with WIN 7 Pro and I believe this is an optimal set up. I am now wondering if I should place the Win into a VB and run the machine as a Linux server. I would prefer to do this to stay flexible and keep up with the maintenance. I would purchase a smaller solid state for the OS and then use the 2TB for video capture only.

Has anyone some recommendations on the best setup with this system - VB or not VB?

heitjer

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, you will loose the IntelQuickSync hardware support and h264 video will be decoded in software layer.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Running Blue Iris in a virtual machine would work if you don't load it down too much, but because of the overhead of virtualization and more importantly the lack Quick Sync support in any VM environment, you'd max out the system a lot easier and use more electricity (which costs money!).

If you want to run multiple operating systems on that machine, I suggest you let Windows be the host and use Hyper-V or Virtual Box or whatever floats your boat. Also, under Windows 7, Blue Iris can't use hardware acceleration and run in service mode at the same time. If you want to combine both features you will need to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10.

VirtualCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run my Blue Iris system in a virtual environment. I have disable recording compression, so I'm using direct to disk, I also set up my cameras to only send a couple of frames per second via RTSP. I've got 15 cameras consuming 50% of an I7 4790K core.