BI Increasing CPU usage over time (fixed w/reboot)

Zed273

n3wb
Reaction score
I used to have BI using about 10% CPU in steady-state mode. Then in mid-September there was a BI update (I always install the updates) that seems to have changed things. Now, when I reboot, BI starts at 10% CPU usage but over time climbs to 50%.

This is the historical power usage of my PC (monitored with a ubiquiti networks power bar). You can see things spiked mid-Sep:

And if you look at particular dates, you can see the two times I rebooted the PC this week:

After each of the two reboots, power usage drops and then starts to climb over the course of the day. And it's BI moving from 10% CPU usage to 50%.

Furthermore, I just stopped and re-started BI (due to a new update) and this is how the CPU usage drops (even without a reboot):

The inelegant fix for this is just to have my PC reboot every day but that will still result in more power consumption than what it used to be when BI just hovered around 10% all day.

I have checked to make sure that all the hardware acceleration features are enabled but really that shouldn't be an issue because nothing changed in my BI settings from pre-update to post-update (mid-Sep).

Is anyone else experiencing the same?

My PC specs:

Intel i7-6700K
16GB RAM
SSD OS drive (BI records to this)
4 HDDs (power-down when idle)
Windows 10 Pro 1703

Last edited:

Zed273

n3wb
Reaction score
Just following-up here, installing the old Intel driver did the trick. Thanks, fenderman!

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many have had this issue in the past. Glad you got yours fixed!

However, this begs the question...is it ever going to be fixed? As we keep going forward and updates keep getting applied, are we always going to have to go back to the "last driver that worked"? Did Intel fundamentally change something that is not compatible with BI anymore? As much as I hate to say it, I don't really see Intel being the culprit here.