BI iPhone APP - Not working in Version 5

jtsull

n3wb
Reaction score
Since I upgraded to version 5 I noticed my iPhone BI app would no longer connect from the internet. (Although it will connect if I'm on my WiFi that is on the same network as my BI server). I have done everything to confirm the settings/port are the same as they were in version 4 but no go.
I have contacted BI support and they say I have an issue with my port forwarding. I don't see it.
Today I went back into the Version 4 folder and ran BI version 4. Now the app works perfectly.

What I'm I missing??? Any thoughts?

jtsull

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried that. I deleted the app and downloaded to the latest. No change.
Also thought it may have to do with me paying for the extended service plan so I could upgrade to version 5. (Different license code to enter into the service box) but no.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Scratching my head here. Since you've set up BI4 before properly and it works both locally and remotely and you've stated you've attempted to see what's different between the 2 that would prevent remote access, I'm stumped. I can only suggest this, knowing full well you may have already checked in BI5 and BI app:
  • IN BI5, under "users", insure that the user that is attempting to log in remotely is not checked for "LAN only".
  • You've stated that port forwarding is in place; have you tested that (BI-port) with canyouseeme.org or IPCT's Open Port Checker?
  • Assuming no VPN is in play, in the BI app insure the WAN IP: BI-port or DDNS-hostname: BI-port is correct (jives with webserver WAN in BI5).

jtsull

n3wb
Reaction score
THX Tony. LAN only is not checked.
Here is the weird thing. It works running version 4 and canyouseeme.org reports success when I query the ip/port. If I'm using version 5 canyouseeme cannot access the same ip/port... No VPN in place.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
THX Tony. LAN only is not checked.
Here is the weird thing. It works running version 4 and canyouseeme.org reports success when I query the ip/port. If I'm using version 5 canyouseeme cannot access the same ip/port... No VPN in place.
Sorry, man. If I think of something else and holler back. :idk:

jtsull

n3wb
Reaction score
Sadly, I have given up on Ver 5 until I can figure this out. BI support desk no help so far.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
will the app work when in the local wifi environment at your house ?
Will UI3 work on your phone when local ?

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Also thought it may have to do with me paying for the extended service plan so I could upgrade to version 5. (Different license code to enter into the service box) but no.
Just to be clear. you have your original BI Key in both app and BI program, not the extended service key, right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly, I have given up on Ver 5 until I can figure this out. BI support desk no help so far.
It's not a blue iris problem, and therefore you're getting no help. Purchasing a $60 piece of software does not entitle you to free network support.
Because can you see me shows the port as closed this indicates that something is blocking the port disable the firewall to test also ensure that you were using a different port then you were for blue Iris 4 and the change is reflected in the app.

jtsull

n3wb
Reaction score
The BI App works when at home on the WiFi. Yes the original license key is loaded into both the server and app versions.
Fenderman, understood, not looking for network support. If version 4 works with the app and version 5 doesn't, I was thinking this is more of some bug in version 5. The program might be affecting something in my network that is closing off the forwarded port but that still points back to the program. The only thing that has changed in this scheme is the BI version. Thank you for the education on support.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it works on wifi at home wifi, you have a network configuration problem. Are you using openVPN to access your home network or Port forwarding ?

If using OpenVPN can you access BI with UI3 ?

jtsull

n3wb
Reaction score
Only port forward currently. No VPN. Agreed on the network problem but I'm thinking it is related to Version 5 because version 4 works perfectly with the exact same settings. (or so I think...). There must be something my v5 setup that is not the same - I just can't find it.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
screen shot of the BI Profile Web server tab, mask part of the external address on that screen for security reasons.

What Router manufacture and model number ?
screen shot of the port forwarding on the router, mask part of external address if on screen

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The BI App works when at home on the WiFi. Yes the original license key is loaded into both the server and app versions.
Fenderman, understood, not looking for network support. If version 4 works with the app and version 5 doesn't, I was thinking this is more of some bug in version 5. The program might be affecting something in my network that is closing off the forwarded port but that still points back to the program. The only thing that has changed in this scheme is the BI version. Thank you for the education on support.
There is nothing wrong with the program many others here are port forwarding even though its a security issue (and I personally just tested it myself and it works fine on BI5). Its just your misunderstanding of how port forwarding works and how to trouble shoot. This is likely a firewall issue.

jtsull

n3wb
Reaction score
Agreed. I must have something in the port forwarding setup with V5 wrong. I keep focusing on the fact that my BI ver 4 setup works perfectly. Both on WiFi at home and via internet. Ver 5 only works on WiFi at home and not the internet. App says "can't connect to server".
I will go back review the V5 setup versus the V4 again before consuming others time. I'll update the post accordingly. I also want to get away from the security issue I have and will look into that further. If I can't get simple Port Forward working, I'm sure I'll fail at VPN Stunnel. Thank you all for your comments.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. I must have something in the port forwarding setup with V5 wrong. I keep focusing on the fact that my BI ver 4 setup works perfectly. Both on WiFi at home and via internet. Ver 5 only works on WiFi at home and not the internet. App says "can't connect to server".
I will go back review everything again before consuming others time. I'll update the post accordingly. Thank you all for your comments.
if your firewall is blocking bi5, and not blocking bi4 that would be your problem, among other possibilities. Stop focusing on bi5, it is NOT the issue. There is no bug.

jtsull

n3wb
Reaction score
YUP, Working now. Issue was in my McAfee Security Suite. Firewall setups for Ver 4 versus Ver 5 were not the same.
Thank you for the help. Now to figure out setting up a more secure remote connection. Stunnel?

jtsull

n3wb
Reaction score
Got Stunnel working. Ran into same sort of issue with my firewall settings but able to work through it. THX!