BI MAJOR VERSION UPGRADE PROTECTION

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the company does make it clear with the table they produce. However, you would normally expect with many softwares to get a free upgrade in the 1st year. I believe this is what BI used to do. Maybe this is what should still happen. 1 yrs free support inclduing upgrades with paid support after that.

However, as I said, it is quite clear in the support comparison table exactly what you do get.

The really good factor is if you don't take higher level support and a new major version does release within the 1st year, you can still buy additional support to get the new version, so all is not lost. As said, Ken has to make his money somewhere.
You do get 1 year support and updates with the initial license purchase?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the company does make it clear with the table they produce. However, you would normally expect with many softwares to get a free upgrade in the 1st year. I believe this is what BI used to do. Maybe this is what should still happen. 1 yrs free support inclduing upgrades with paid support after that.

However, as I said, it is quite clear in the support comparison table exactly what you do get.

The really good factor is if you don't take higher level support and a new major version does release within the 1st year, you can still buy additional support to get the new version, so all is not lost. As said, Ken has to make his money somewhere.
BI never offer a free upgrade to a new version in the first year. Only incremental updates to your current version. He did offer free upgrade to v4 users who purchased in the last 30 or so days prior to the 5 release. It is very unusual for software to promise a free upgrade in the first year. In the vms arena you dont even get support for more than 90 days on some paid licenses.