Bi mobile will not connect remotely- works on wifi?

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, what it says in the title. This has me baffled. When I'm on wifi, regardless of where I am, it works fine. When I'm trying to connect remotely, via the cellular service, 'cannot connect to server' error.....I can connect to the internet via the cellular connection but not my own server?
I haven't had one successful connection using this method....

I am using the ddns service here on ipcam (username.ipctddns.com) but it does the same either way, a specific wan ip address in the setup on the phone or the ddns steering.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ATT.....Lousy here, though. It doesn't make sense that the signal's lousy everywhere I go and I do have roaming enabled. Like I said, I can connect to the internet (in fact I make sure I can) and then I try connecting to BI. Of course I make repeated attempts.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Umm, followed your link...interesting. I will try that.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, here's the deal....I can only access it via a specific wan address and the address must specify the port as well, e.g. 173.xx.xx.xxx:81
It will not work without the port address specified regardless of the port used.

If I remove the :81 it will not connect. Of course it will not work with a ddns link either.

edit: I'm using the Bi phone app version 2.0.65

Ideas?

Bob T.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, here's the deal....I can only access it via a specific wan address and the address must specify the port as well, e.g. 173.xx.xx.xxx:81
It will not work without the port address specified regardless of the port used.

If I remove the :81 it will not connect. Of course it will not work with a ddns link either.

edit: I'm using the Bi phone app version 2.0.65

Ideas?

Bob T.
You need to change the port number in the blue iris webserver tab

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're referring to but I am aware of the port address in the Bi webserver and have tried different ports. I tried 1080 as well. I'll try again.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, it works with 1080 ONLY if/when I specify the port address appended to the WAN address.
The lan address of the pc is 198.168.107:1080. My ports are forwarded to 1080 in the router and my phone app WAN address is set to 173.xxx.xx.2xx:1080.
This allows me to connect via ATT network and the app is working.
If I do not use the :1080 following the WAN address in the phone app it will not connect?
The DDNS of course uses only the WAN address (less the Port) so it won't work either.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it works with 1080 ONLY if/when I specify the port address appended to the WAN address.
The lan address of the pc is 198.168.107:1080. My ports are forwarded to 1080 in the router and my phone app WAN address is set to 173.xxx.xx.2xx:1080.
This allows me to connect via ATT network and the app is working.
If I do not use the :1080 following the WAN address in the phone app it will not connect?
The DDNS of course uses only the WAN address (less the Port) so it won't work either.

You must always input the port after the ip address. You must also enter it after your ddns address.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You must always input the port after the ip address. You must also enter it after your ddns address.
Yeah, easy for you to say:)....I was admittedly stuck on stupid:smash: given I never setup DDNS before. I thought the DDNS link was to be used in the phone app but now I realize that it's to be used on the server side....

This is the misconception I had was based on something I read that said "everywhere you would use the WAN address, replace it with the DDNS link", or something like that, but NOT HERE:

Now I know that it belongs on the server side, specifically in my router. My router only has three choices for DDNS providers so I abandoned the ipct DDNS and used a No-IP DDNS.net link and hostname.

I first setup my account on No-Ip and chose a hostname then at the completion of the process obtained a link, myhostname.ddns.net

I put my phone back to my WAN address (173.xxx.xx.xxx:1080) and then setup my router like this (I am describing this for others that might go down the same path as I did):

SORRY ABOUT THE WATERMARKS

Valuable lessons learned here. I'm not a network guy I just play one on the internet:idk:...

Bob T.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, easy for you to say:)....I was admittedly stuck on stupid:smash: given I never setup DDNS before. I thought the DDNS link was to be used in the phone app but now I realize that it's to be used on the server side....

This is the misconception I had was based on something I read that said "everywhere you would use the WAN address, replace it with the DDNS link", or something like that, but NOT HERE:

Now I know that it belongs on the server side, specifically in my router. My router only has three choices for DDNS providers so I abandoned the ipct DDNS and used a No-IP DDNS.net link and hostname.

I first setup my account on No-Ip and chose a hostname then at the completion of the process obtained a link, myhostname.ddns.net

I put my phone back to my WAN address (173.xxx.xx.xxx:1080) and then setup my router like this (I am describing this for others that might go down the same path as I did):

SORRY ABOUT THE WATERMARKS

Valuable lessons learned here. I'm not a network guy I just play one on the internet:idk:...

Bob T.
you are still confused. if you enter your wan address in the app, the app will have no way of knowing that you made any changes. What you setup us doing nothing. You DO need to enter your ddns address in the app followed by the port. ex mynvr.dyndns.org:8343
The free no-ip account will require you to login to the website every 30 days. You will forget and lose access. You can use blue iris tools to update the ipcamtalk ddns

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you are still confused. if you enter your wan address in the app, the app will have no way of knowing that you made any changes. What you setup us doing nothing. You DO need to enter your ddns address in the app followed by the port. ex mynvr.dyndns.org:8343
The free no-ip account will require you to login to the website every 30 days. You will forget and lose access. You can use blue iris tools to update the ipcamtalk ddns
I thought I tried that more than once but I'll try it again. Do I leave the router as-is?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I tried that more than once but I'll try it again. Do I leave the router as-is?
You still need to tell the ipcatalk ddns what your ip address is, you will need to use BIT for that.
Or if you want to use no ip, you still have to enter that info in the router and then also use the noip address in the mobile app, if you use the wan address you are doing nothing.

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gotcha. It's working with the appended :1080 following the No-ip link in the app.....I know I tried this with the IPCT ddns link and it either did nothing (didn't work) or gave me an error of some sort, can't recall anymore. I'm not familiar with BIT? If I do a search maybe I can find out what that is.

EDIT: Ah yes, Blue Iris Tools=BIT. to hardware guy like me that means Built-in-test....I recall reading this thread a while ago. I'll go back and reread it. Obviously I would prefer not to have to renew an DDNS monthly or pay for one either....

As always, a pleasure.

Bob T.

Last edited:

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, finally the 'big picture' is coming together. I need to download bi tools (BIT) and there paste the API Key into the DDNS / IP Management section of BIT.
I did none of this so no wonder the ipct ddns didn't work. I assume BIT runs as a service on startup on the host computer, yes?

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it all playing together now with ipct DDNS....

Thanks for the help....very confusing for a noob...

Bob T.